Tell us what pictures you have taken recently (that are interesting)

I was scrolling down the photos, got to the top of that last one and I’m thinking “Those mountains are a bit out of focus…”. Then I see the road and I think “Ok, at least the road is sharp”. Then I get to the bottom and see the dog. “Ah :)”

The hazards of using a horizontal window to look at a vertically-aligned photo.

Great pics tho! I love the inside of the vehicle, so many stories…

Had an hour or so to play with the D500 at Conowingo today. Totally under the gun, had to get setting put in as I was shooting. Couple weird things. The clock doesn’t get set during initial setup. The diopter is set in the dumbest spot to begin with. It’s set in AFS-S and I had no idea how to get it to AFS-C.

Which resulted in this:

Untitled
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

SONOFAB!

Got that fixed but still need to fine tune some things. I don’t think I want 55 point 3d for BIFs. Need to figure out what my D4 is set to.

Got a few decent shots but nothing spectacular:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Wonder what happened to this poor guy’s face:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Probably the best shot of the day:

Untitled

The eagle in front of the trees almost looks like a watercolor. Nice work. Were you taking those somewhere in the Pacific northwest? I have never seen so many eagles until I came out here. They’re everywhere! And they make such unlikely noises!

I love that last picture with the dog, Alan. It immediately made me think of Mad Max. Totally different breed, of course, but my mind went there.

-xtien

Kadath, that third picture, especially, where the landing gear is going down as the bird approaches the tower. That is an amazing shot.

-xtien

Thanks gents. Conowingo Dam in central MD. We have ABEs all year long but they peak while migrating in early November. Lucked out and got there mid day during heavy pumping so there was a lot of fish action for the Eagles and other birds including a few blue herons, black cormorants and gulls.

Since the pictures all point to his Flickr, could it be said that Kadath was ABE Linking?

I’ll show myself out.

Haha yeah, I noticed how they’re a little similar. Thanks!

— Alan

Fishbreath is a natural eagle condition so I will let it slide, but normally I’d say boo to you, good sir.

My very last day at one facility I used to work at I took a shot during sunset—best shift ever since I didn’t have to work at all during it! Guess it’s not super recent and it’s kinda crappy, actually, since the photos merged about as well as the Titanic with an iceberg, but it still made me happy!

Love a window office.

A blind shot I took yesterday with my phone. The sun was too strong for me to see anything on the screen. I really like how the colours came out. I wish I could be rid of the cars in the background though.

Reminds me of this famous Wyeth, so you got that going for ya!

Having trouble picking a fave!

16-OC-AirShow-1882 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

16-OC-AirShow-1940 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

16-OC-AirShow-1980 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

16-OC-AirShow-1729 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Flickr seems to have added some gnarly noise to these tho, gonna have to figure out why…

Kadath, those are amazing!

About 20 years ago, I had never before seen that painting.
The girlfriend and I were at a Fargo mall, where all the local grade schools were displaying paintings done by their children.
Most of the paintings were appropriately amateurish, but still fun to view and admire in many cases.
But one caught my eye. Some kid had done a painstaking re-creation of Andrew Wyeth’s “Christina’s World”, only I didn’t know it was a copy. I thought the kid had come up with it himself. The execution was of course amateurish, but I thought the composition and everything else about it was simply amazing for a fifth grader. I must have stood there and stared at it for a good half hour, just blown away, when my girlfriend found me. I said, “Honey, look at this! Some fifth grader painted this!”

And since the mall was about to close, we left.
But I couldn’t leave. It was really bothering me. I had decided that I MUST buy that painting, whatever it took. I told my girlfriend, “Trust me; This kid’s gonna go places, and I must own that painting!”

I returned to the painting to view it again before going to find someone in charge in order to locate the artist.
It was while examining the painting again that I noticed the child’s name in the corner of the painting. And below it, the name of Wyeth.
My hopes of sponsoring a future artistic genius were crushed. That kid really had me going.

Thankya! Going through the other 2800 shots from yesterday is exhausting but more to follow.

Full set now up. Lot of work to cull and edit, I think a lot of em are a bit too blue, will see when printed. Think I get rid of most of the fuzz tho.

16-OC-AirShow-0291

16-OC-AirShow-1306

16-OC-AirShow-1499

16-OC-AirShow-1729

16-OC-AirShow-1893

16-OC-AirShow-2107