Tell us what pictures you have taken recently (that are interesting)

Thanks! I actually do everything in post, though frankly I probably should use gray cards at least. Will need to do it more for color correction, etc. especially when we mix camera types as we are already doing for b-roll and interview footage. Still learning.

— Alan

So I was interested in perhaps selling prints and the like to make a little money on the side. Anybody have any experience with this or using a service, selling photos/stock as a side job/hobby, etc.? Can take this into PMs as to not clog up the thread, but after hearing from a number of folks here and elsewhere about doing so, just kind of want to take the plunge and see what I can do.

— Alan

Nothing unique or skillful here, but I got a DJI Spark this week so I took it to Furman University this afternoon. It’s pretty fun!

That first shot is really striking, wholly. Nice.

I have made hundreds from 500px, but I have no clue why I’ve made it, as I use the service simply to preserve some of my high-qual pics.

I have a professionalish printer (large) that I have never used, but a friend has the same one and makes money selling prints from it. I guess I should open it at some point…had it for over a year and it’s still NIB.

As you may know, I like auto racing. I also really enjoy taking pictures when I go to races. I think this may be the best shot of a sprint car I’ve ever taken. It’s not easy. They’re moving fast. From this past weekend… Williams Grove Speedway in Mechanicsburg, PA. Zero editing or cleanup of any kind.

Wow, very nice!

Beautiful lighting Dave!

Great shot!

Thanks folks! I really appreciate it. I have a few more I really like that I’ll post then. The car control these guys have is amazing.

From the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon today.

Nice, what is the night sky like? Is it dark enough to see the milky way? I thought there was somewhere up there were it could be seen.

Yup, there’s one of the best patches of dark sky on the East Coast not far to the northeast. Cherry Springs State Park has guided stargazing, and for some events they bust out big 8" reflector telescopes. I went with my family last summer. Through the telescopes, I got to see Saturn—clearly a disc separate from its rings—and a globular cluster. Just sitting under the covers looking up was one of the best night sky views of my life, Milky Way and all.

After looking at the dark half of the sky for a while, I got up to go get in line for one of the telescopes, and thought to myself, “Is there a floodlight on or something?” Nope, just the full moon. I don’t think I’d ever before experienced how bright it is, just because of how infrequently I’m in truly dark-except-for-the-moon spots. I probably could have read by it.

So much lusher than Denver…been 2 decades since I’ve lived out East. The amount of foliage always amazes me.

On the way up Mt. Lemmon from Tucson, AZ a couple of weekends ago. What a strange feeling from going deep desert around Tucson up to over 8500 feet towards the summit of Mt. Lemmon. It felt like being in a video game where you could actually see biomes change every few thousand feet. Tucson was at 104 degrees when we drove out, the summit was a beautiful 70 degrees on Mt. Lemmon.

It’s Penn’s woods, after all.

Funny thing though, basically all the trees are only a few hundred years old, tops, because we cut down pretty much everything during the lumber boom. More lumber came out of central Pennsylvania than anywhere in the world at one time.

Reading stories about what Pennsylvania was like back prior to full colonization is interesting. While exploring the Susquehanna in 1743, Bartram wrote:

We observed the tops of the trees to be so close to one another for many miles together, that there is no seeing which way the clouds drive, nor which way the wind sets : and it seems almost as is the sun had never shone on the ground, since the creation.

The best stands of huge pre-colonial old growth hardwoods forest on the east coast are in Joyce Kilmer Forest in western NC. (IMO)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recarea/?recid=48920

(not my photo)

(this one is mine)
North Carolina does have it’s own Stone Mountain as well, just without the Confederate graffiti

One of my bucket list items is to go to some of the Austrian old growth forest that are still around (mainly due to protection via various royal hunting preserves, etc.) I’ve read that the experience of being in a truly mature stage forest is rather unique, given the near complete blockage of light on the forest floor.

When I was at the races a couple Thursdays ago, a guy from Australia sat down next to me. He said he lived north of Melbourne. They love their dirt racing over there same as us here in Central PA. Anyway, what surprised me was he said he loved coming to PA because it reminded him a lot of where he lives at home. He was on a summer long trip to see auto racing all across the US.

That’s one of my favorite things about attending auto racing. Most people are really friendly and open to chatting about pretty much anything but it almost always starts with casual conversation about the event we’re attending.

I don’t watch soccer, but when I do I do so in huge crowds.