Tell us what pictures you have taken recently (that are interesting)

Those are gorgeous! I love Wyoming… and Montana, and Colorado, and Mount Ranier.

I went to Colorado and Wyoming when I was 12 and it immediately made me fall in love with mountains for the rest of my life.

@CraigM, you’ve got to share those. I follow a girl named “HikeOregon” on youtube and am always curious to see how different the geography is there. Very lush and beautiful. A 20-miler at Hood sounds pretty intense and fun! I’m jealous.

@robc04, pretty much the same for me! Grew up (rather feral) in Montana! All of my extended family is from Atlanta, so we were the black sheep, to the point that I wouldn’t recognize my aunts if I ran into them at the grocery store. Ha! They find the wild parts of the West to be scary. :P

Like Craig was saying, though, the trips to go backpacking in Wy are so far from where I am. Flying to MT, renting a car, and hiking there would actually be faster for me in some cases.

I’ve been having a bit of fun this past week with my new lens: the Nikkor DC 135mm F/2.

And a self-portrait with the nifty fifty:

Cool pics @anonymgeist - I love the look of that lens. Did you do much post-processing?

I’m about to send my 100-400 lens back to Canon for service, there’s fungus growing on one of the interior lens elements, and while it’s not affecting shots yet I can see it will do. I’ve had this issue before with… well, every single lens I’ve ever owned. It’s one of the downsides of living in the tropics. I’ve tried just about everything to try and stop it, but short of having a hermetically-sealed room with a dehumidified running 24/7 I’m not sure there’s much I can do. The lens is less than 2 years old so technically it’s still under warranty, but I also bought it overseas and… well, I can see where it’s going. Anyway, it’s my main workhorse so it needs fixing, although I will be gritting my teeth for the quote.

In the meantime I’ll be down to my 18-135 STM lens. Time to work on my landscapes, perhaps!

Here’s a snakey snake that visited us yesterday (taken with the 18-135). Carpet python, just awesome.

Snek!

More snek!

For those, aside from basic exposure adjustments, the editing is pretty much limited to bumping up the clarity a bit and tweaking the color saturation. Otherwise, it’s just the lens shot wide open with the defocus control.

Wolf Spider? Or maybe a spotted orb weaver?

18-DeckSpider-5641 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Araneus gemmoides? Type of orb-weaver for sure. I like them. Go get all those nasty, flying bugs!

Maybe? The abdomen was round, didn’t have those big spikes in it!

Overall I was pretty meh on the fireworks pictures I took this 4th of July, but this one reminded me of a cosmic skull. It kinda blows my mind and makes me smile!

18-4thOfJuly-5521 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Edit: Holy Flickr Squish, what happened to my Rectangle???

LOL! I didn’t even read your comment, but I was wondering if you were posting some weird EDM skull from Vegas or something.

So I still really like that DC 135mm f/2. I should probably find some people to photograph as that’s really what it was intended to do. But I’m having fun, at any rate.

Aside from cropping the third slightly, the only editing done to these was to apply the VSCO Lightroom preset for Agfa Vista 100 stock.

I’m not sure if this qualifies as interesting, but I picked up this, uh, dainty little thing off of eBay as I dip my toes back into film and give the medium format a try. Here’s the Mamiya RB67 pictured next to my Fuji X100s for scale. As big as it is (and it is really big), it’s surprisingly not as heavy as I would have thought–especially considering it’s pretty much all metal and solid as a tank. And god damn is that view finder big, bright, and beautiful.

I’m looking forward to getting out and shooting a few rolls this weekend–hopefully I don’t ruin too many in the process. Took me a fair bit just to figure out how to get the shutter to fire off as it has about six levels of safety measures to prevent accidental exposure.

I got my first roll of film back from the lab today, and I was pleasantly surprised a couple actually turned out okay. I was totally expecting to write it off entirely as a learning experience as it was my first time shooting on a film camera–not to mention one with no built-in metering.

I can’t recommend setting up your own darkroom highly enough. I had one at university when I was doing my PhD about two lifetimes ago, and I fell in love with it. You go in, lock the door, switch on the red lights and disappear into another world. Watching ghostly impressions of the real world slowly fade into life on formerly blank pieces of paper has to be experienced. I set one up here years ago and had another blast, must get back into it again someday - I need another film camera first though.

One of my dreams. Then, DSLR happened. But I’ve been contemplating using film again.

Got soaked to the bone in a downpour today, but it was worth it.

I don’t know if I’ll do a full dark room, but I’m definitely going to have to start developing my own film at home. A week turnaround plus $15 a roll (of only ten exposures) is too much for the volume I prefer. I mean, I could just slow down, but… nah.

Yeah, I used to use one of these developing canisters. Just use a lightproof bag to transfer the film from the camera to the developing canister, then you add the chemicals to the canister without risking exposing the film. It worked great, but I only ever used it for black and white film.

Are those little pools of water in the first picture? Looks awesome.