Tell us what pictures you have taken recently (that are interesting)

I’m not a photographer by any stretch - I mostly take random photos on my phone and my phone camera is garbage. However, I recently took out my husband’s DSLR camera because I decided I wanted to learn how to use it, just for fun. I took some photos of the nearest interesting subject I had available - my 21 year old African Grey, Beaker. Here are the ones that I thought came out best - keeping in mind that I haven’t even begun to delve into the assorted options and settings on the camera. It’s a Canon EOS Rebel T1i.

Took these on my hike yesterday:

As did I

The PCT from the Bridge of the Gods to Table Mountain (basically the ascent out of the Columbia River on the Washington side)

I got my first sunspot picture the other day with the Rokinon 650-1300 and some silver black polymer filter. It would be nice to get a solar transit of some sort whether it be planetary, satellite, or airplane.

Mercury is passing in November.

I just started shooting on Velvia 50 slide film using my RB67, and good god the colors on this stuff are gorgeous. The scans from the lab don’t do it justice.

These are unedited, aside from a bit of cropping on #2. The exposure is tough to nail, though. I lost pretty much the rest of the roll to either under- or over-exposure.

Those are quite beautiful!

My jaw dropped. Those colors, man.

The colors on Velvia 50 are gobsmacking, if you get the exposure right. And the scans really pale in comparison to looking at the 6x7 film through a loup on a light box. Wish I had a projector and slide mounts to properly display them.

I don’t know if I can really go back to shooting color negative film after this.

I love Velveeta film!

Returned from Yellowstone this week, haven’t had too much of a chance to do a lot of photos though I’ve been posting a few. Will have some up soon. The P1000 works great at full zoom (3000mm or 125x) when there’s absolutely no wind or anything to even remotely jar the tripod or camera body. Then the jitter gets pretty bad with little VR to help except in small exceptions. The 4k video it takes is not on par with what most DSLRs can do but it’s ok.

I also used a Nikon Z6, which is great when you’re using a full-frame lens for photo or video work, but not so much when using a DX sensor lens cropped to it–the drop off in pixels is just not acceptable in most instances if you’re not shooting video (4k is fine). The res is actualy worse than my D7100. I love the Z6 otherwise, so I’m torn on which to get… the Z7 or Z6. We’re doing a lot of video, but the Z7’s 4k quality is slightly less than the Z6 (the Z7 doesn’t use the full sensor but rather a crop to do 4k, while the Z6 uses the entire sensor and “picks” the best lines to use, in a horribly explained nutshell). But man the Z7 resolution for imagery is just amazing.

— Alan

Did a run at sunset yesterday, nice leisurely 5.5 mile loop through a riverside park

Funny thing, that river you see? That’s actually the paved trail. It goes through a low lying bog area, and recent rains have flooded it.

I love Yellowstone so much. May in the park is simply amazing.

— Alan

Wow. You certainly have a way of capturing the moment. Nice.

Those are beautiful!

Nice! Makes me want to fly across the atlantic to come check it out!

And some Yellowstone animal pics:

— Alan

I keep a cheap 60x Barska spotting scope in my trunk so I don’t forget it on days when I go to the rifle range, and so I had it handy the other night for a bit of extremely makeshift astronomy, photographed by smushing my phone camera up against the eyepiece.

Poor quality, but still fun. In addition to the Moon, I also took a look at Jupiter and three moons, the first I’ve seen of that particular planet under magnification.

What are the goggles for? Welding?

They just look cool. They do nothing.