Tell us what’s happened to you recently (that’s interesting) Part Deux

Continued from the OG topic (that’s interesting) because Discourse starts to barf when topics get >10k replies.

Witnessing the creation of this Part Deux thread is the most interesting thing that’s happened to me so far this morning.

Yesterday, a tree fell behind my house and woke me up at 3am.

Then I had to clean up rabbit entrails in the front yard. I think an owl got the rabbit during the night?

Seems like it put up a major fight!

Hahahaha funny :)

@Clay can’t quite see the top. Was it a dead tree? When it fell, what did you think had happened?

Philosolipsisically, it’s all his fault. If he was wearing earplugs, the tree would never have fallen down.

Maybe it was you, maybe it was the Ambien, but what a great idea for a thread you had. And now look at it blossoming and budding into a Part Two!

That thing looks huge. Was it terrifying to wake up to?

In on the ground floor! @jpinard I returned that air purifier already. I think the most interesting thing that happened to me today was trying to get the lane printed and having weird/lined notebook paper come out of the printer. Toddlers!

It wasn’t dead. It’s a red oak and was on a slope. It’s been raining so much here that the ground was completely saturated. Red oaks tend to have a shallow root ball, so I guess it just fell when the weight from the rain on the leaves popped up its root ball.

My wife and I both were sound asleep and there was a super loud crack (from the other tree breaking) and a boom that shook the whole house. We’ve had this happen a few times before, so we knew what it was. We both woke up immediately and were wondering whether it had fallen on the house. I went outside in the pouring rain, in my PJs, and searched around the house for 10 minutes to make sure it didn’t hit us!

Today I decided to rescue the company I worked for by becoming the owner of it’s phoenix-from-the-ashes 2.0 version. I am now a bonafide entrepeneur, with assets and employees. The fuck is happening?!

You’re the boss man, now.

Fuck. All my life I been pissing on The Man. And now I’m The Man. But I want this crew to keep working, I love shovelling dirt with 'em too much!

I always thought the sort of people who start and run companies to be the sort of suited right-wingers that surpress the people, keep the poor poor and fuck up the planet. And now I’m doing just that. Do I need to turn in my anarcho-communist party membership card now?

Or shall I run this bitch like the anarcho-communist I am and do my utmost to keep it fun and equalised and perhaps manage not to end up on the street to my neck in debt.

That worked out well for the dude in Seattle that has been in the news.

This guy:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-gravity-ceo-dan-price/

You mean “You’re the man now, dog.”

Welp, I guess we’re doing simple physical work (landscaping) so the numbers won’t be as high, nor will hopefully the amount of lawsuits!

ytmnd

aw crap, beaten

Put it in storage with mine. Their time will come once more.

Captain’s log, stardate -302612.5

Nothing interesting happened to me today.

[edit]

Fixed the date.

Dude.

Pick any combination of four numbers plus a percentage point, use it as your story’s stardate. For example, 1313.5 is twelve o’clock noon of one day and 1314.5 would be noon of the next day. Each percentage point is roughly equivalent to one-tenth of one day. The progression of stardates in your script should remain constant but don’t worry about whether or not there is a progression from other scripts. Stardates are a mathematical formula which varies depending on location in the galaxy, velocity of travel, and other factors, can vary widely from episode to episode.

All these quotes are from the Memory Alpha article on Stardates:

The Original Series, the Star Trek Guide:

Pick any combination of four numbers plus a percentage point, use it as your story’s stardate. For example, 1313.5 is twelve o’clock noon of one day and 1314.5 would be noon of the next day. Each percentage point is roughly equivalent to one-tenth of one day. The progression of stardates in your script should remain constant but don’t worry about whether or not there is a progression from other scripts. Stardates are a mathematical formula which varies depending on location in the galaxy, velocity of travel, and other factors, can vary widely from episode to episode.

Direct from Gene Roddenberry:

When we began making episodes, we would use a star date such as 2317 one week, and then a week later when we made the next episode we would move the star date up to 2942, and so on. Unfortunately, however, the episodes are not aired in the same order in which we filmed them. So we began to get complaints from the viewers, asking, “How come one week the star date is 2891, the next week it’s 2337, and then the week after it’s 3414?”

In answering these questions, I came up with the statement that “this time system adjusts for shifts in relative time which occur due to the vessel’s speed and space warp capability. It has little relationship to Earth’s time as we know it. One hour aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise at different times may equal as little as three Earth hours. The star dates specified in the log entry must be computed against the speed of the vessel, the space warp, and its position within our galaxy, in order to give a meaningful reading.” Therefore star date would be one thing at one point in the galaxy and something else again at another point in the galaxy.

A stardate is a five-digit number followed by a decimal point and one more digit. Example: “41254.7.” The first two digits of the stardate are always “41.” The 4 stands for 24th century, the 1 indicates first season. The additional three leading digits will progress unevenly during the course of the season from 000 to 999. The digit following the decimal point is generally regarded as a day counter.

Do the research. :)