Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I have never, ever, found Greek style yogurt in the store, and I shop at a Wegmans.

Weird. That surprises me. We have it at our Giant in the “natural” food section. Trader Joe’s also stocks it.

I made beef enchiladas with red sauce.

Boy, i didn’t know that was how you made red sauce! Even the sauce in Mexican food is unhealthy.

For the curious: A random recipe

Oh, and America’s Test Kitchen has some decent recipes, but most approach Southern/Texas foods with the attitude of someone educated by Martha Stewart and raised on New England chowder would take.

I get it at Whole Foods. Chobani brand.

I get Athena brand hummus all the time, but i don’t think i’ve seen it at HEB either; although, i admit, i haven’t looked!

Ditto, and I’ve looked. Admitted, I’ve looked at super wal mart and a few local grocery chains, nowhere fancy.

The whole tea towel thing seems like too much hassle to me, so I just avoid recipes that call for yogurt typically.

Well, they are from Boston. I do adore Christopher Kimball.

Their recipe for corned beef and cabbage is epic. It has you making your own corned beef! It takes a week! Wacky, for sure, but it sure sounds good.

Their recipe for pad thai tops what I can get at restaurants.

Last week I made chicken legs stuffed with pork and pistachios & wrapped in bacon. Was absolutely delicious. I’ll post the recipe later.

Really? Make your own… man. I might do that. The family was going all Irish for St. Patty’s day (albeit i still can’t quite figure out if i’ve got any Irish or are 50% Scot!)

I’ve still got a Stollen to make from Christmas… i made a Greek Christmas loaf over the holidays with um… i’ve forgotten. What did i put in there? Dates?. While tasty it was more of an eruption than a coherent loaf of bread.

Soup!

Box mac and cheese, and ramen in a microwave.

yum.

Fuck college life.

Athryn, get in here and post that fancypants mac-and-cheese you made with expensive cheese! It sounded awesome and I must have the recipe for this weekend. :)

Sounds good. This is a recipe which I used that you might like. Tastes like Chili’s Southwestern Egg rolls but with 1/10 of the fattiness. I’ve been making it semi-regularly now.

Southwestern Quesadillas

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup black beans, drained
1/4 cup chopped spinach
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
dash salt
dash cayenne pepper
1.5 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
5 10-inch flour tortillas

1. Grill or saute chicken until cooked and put aside.
  2. In a non-stick skillet, add olive oil and heat.
  3. Add pepper and scallions and saute until soft.
  4. Add chicken, beans, corn, spinach and spices. Mix for approximately 4 minutes until spinach has separated and is well-mixed.
  5. Add cheese and take off heat, stirring until it’s all well-mixed.
  6. You can heat your tortillas or not, this is optional.
    Makes approximately five large quesadillas.

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that not long ago I came into possession of one of these. Since then, I’ve not once passed up on a quesadilla recipe. Consider your contribution printed, sir!

When we visited San Francisco, we had a delicious Quinoa Fennel Salad served on roasted golden beets. I’ve tried unsuccessfully to recreate the flavours, but have wound up with something that is healthy and delicious although not the same as what I was trying to emulate.

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 fennel bulb
1/2 purple onion
1 beet
olive oil
red wine vinegar
lemon juice
salt
pepper

Roast the beet and cut thin slices. Cook the quinoa and let cool a bit. I used an electric rice cooker to cook it. Thinly slice the fennel bulb and purple onion. Set aside some fennel fronds. Make a dressing from red wine vinegar and olive oil. I didn’t measure but it’s about 3:1 oil to vinegar I think. Toss the quinoa, fennel, fennel fronds, and onion together. Add dressing, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Place a layer of sliced beets on a plate. Heap the quinoa fennel salad on the beets.

Fancy chef dude Eric Ripert has a site where he does these 5-10 minute videos that show you how to make something in under ten minutes with a toaster oven. One that I really like is the mustard crusted salmon. I’ve made it a few times and it’s great with some steamed vegetables. Too bad he stopped doing the videos, though. It was a cool idea for a site.

Quinoa is bird food. Very… seedy.

I fucking love quinoa. I had some red quinoa a few weeks ago that was baller.

Those are amazingly nice, a co-worker has one and we use it to make a thing I call an assblaster.

Assblaster:
Refried beans
Black Beans
Olives
Fresh Guacamole
Fresh salsa

Put what you want on a tortilla, throw in the quesadilla thinger, put another tortilla on top. Come back when it’s done. Eat the whole thing yourself with tons of hot sauce. Spend the rest of the day in the bathroom.

Me too. It supposedly has the most protein of any grain. I love salads with it.