Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

what do you know this showed on Facebook for me today.

Hood’s “Golden Eggnog” is the only store bought one I can really stomach. Most store bought varieties taste like weird bubble gum artificial flavors (or overripe banana).

It’s easy to make on your own though. Once you’ve done it a few times it really can be fone in under 10 minutes. As I’ve probably mentioned here before, I typically make it once a year at our Xmas party, and it goes pretty smoothly now. You can use pasteurized eggs if you’re squeamish.

This year a co-worker brought some coquito to the office, which is basically Puerto Rican coconut Eggnog. It’s pretty great, I may have to make some as an alternative (not quite dairy free, as I think condensed milk is typical, but I imagine creme de Coco could be used more or less interchangeably).

Try Alton Brown’s recipe. It’s a lot thinner than either store bought or the kind I make with my mum’s recipe, and the flavour is more delicate.

I actually love egg nog to be really thick. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like having alcohol in it, but to each their own. I don’t usually have it these days, because of the carbs, though you can make a decent low-carb nog if you do it yourself.

Ok I have GOT to make that this week. It looks incredible! But I need measurements or I will screw it up and make some tomato paste abomination, If you wing when making can you still give me some rough estimates? Thanks!

My wife is going to love dinner this weekend! This is her favorite kind of stuff :)

I never wing anything but spices. One onion, one pepper, 2 ribs celery, 3 cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of dried or tablespoon fresh oregano, 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (I used more), a pound of (85%) ground beef, half a pound of sausage, a can each sauce and diced tomatoes. Oh and the last step of the sauce is actually putting in fresh (I used dried) parsley. I think it’s supposed to be like a tablespoon or two minced.

Fantastic. Putting on grocery list.

Mostly I try not to give exact amounts because I am cooking from cookbooks and I think the authors would like you to buy the book. But once in a while probably doesn’t hurt. Especially since this one seems to be out of print - albeit cheaply available used.

Johnny Marzetti is a fire station staple because it is cheap and easy to make, and can be thrown together on very short notice. It is basically a baked spaghetti with rotini or penne and copious amounts of cheese. Fun variants include throwing in Italian sausages or pepperoni to add some more flavor.

Another variation is “Hillbilly Lasagna” where the pasta and cheeses are replaced with cheese ravioli layered with your favorite meat sauce and baked.

Maybe you could post a link to the cookbook on Amazon? Then the author and the site could both benefit.

Now in the correct thread…
Lately I’ve been in an experimental food mood and decided to try and make ramen again. I last attempted this in 2009 to lackluster results. Nowadays there are a handful of local shops in town but, while one is pretty decent, a trip to Japan earlier this year reset my expectations.

So I made spent a night making chashu and then the broth in an instant pot pressure cooker after refreshing myself with some online how-tos.

Bowl 0:

Marinated bamboo shoots, roasted seaweed, green onion, some porcini mushrooms that were on sale, and bean sprouts. Also made some mayu (burnt galic in sesame oil) as garnish.

After some analysis made Bowl 1 the next day:

Marinated bamboo shoots, roasted seaweed, green onion, marinated soft-boiled egg. For garnish I made a better batch of mayu and then accidentally poured too much sesame seed.

Tonight I may or may not try a batch of homemade noodles. Originally they were what I wanted to first tackle but the local asian supermarket had cheap pork trotters and legs so thought what the heck. My vacation starts soon and I was wanting to repeat the entire process and make small changes ( I wonder what I could do with water the mushrooms re-hydrated in, extend/change simmer time, etc) but I think the valves in my heart need a break.

I really miss ramen made in Japan. Did you use a specific recipe?

Absolutely gorgeous, and mad respect for the obvious labor and time poured into those bowls! Holy crap that is amazing.

If you do, please let us know how they turn out (and recipe). I took a shot at it once and managed to get noodles amde, but they didn’t have the texture I wanted,

Well now I’m obviously split on my weekend meal. I was going to make some Thai red curry, but after seeing the dishes you guys are posting up, I’m completely torn.

I had completely forgotten Johnny Marzetti, and I’m not sure how I could forget that. My girlfriend would LOVE that dish if she hasn’t had it already.

Adding that to my standby list, and I’ll figure something else out for the weekend.

Wow that ramen looks really good. I don’t think I could ever make it that pretty. Recipe please! :D

Omg i want the ramen to get in my belly.

Thanks for the compliments, folks. The stock was a combination of the info here: http://norecipes.com/tonkotsu-ramen-recipe and here http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/rich-and-creamy-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-from-scratch-recipe.html. SeriousEats guy was right about the pressure cooking not speeding things up and I did staggered cooks of about 90 minutes until things looked right. I’m not sure how the first link got it in 2 hrs, but he was dead on for the ramen base and mayu. I had to grind my own tahini.

The chashu was some pork shoulder that was destined for carnitas but I decided to use for this experiment instead. I think I followed this recipe mostly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAutaiTYatU

The eggs I’d been making for a while (probably another heart valve things to worry about). Cold eggs settled into boiling water that’s then set to simmer. Take out at 7 minutes and place in ice bath. Peel and transfer to a ziplock bag of soy sauce, mirin, and water for marination overnight.

For the noodles I’ll use http://norecipes.com/homemade-ramen-noodle-recipe. Will have to see if I can get the kansui at a local market or bake my own baking soda. I’ll also be buying backup noodles.

Were you cooking for the Queen? Dang that is just amazing. Timex I will mirror your thought but add a Scottish accent, “Get in Mah Belly!”

My favorite comfort food is similar. A couple layers of penne and cheese topped with a ground Italian sausage-tomato-onion-green pepper-black olive (because everything is better with black olives) mix. And then pepperoni. And then more cheese. A friend I used to cook it for dubbed it “macaroni surprise” because of the pepperoni, so it’s what I’ve called it ever since.