Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I have not made this yet.

But I want to make this.

http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen-assistant/sushi-burrito

I was so along for the ride with this until we got to the potato chips. . . great in a sandwich, but sushi OR a burrito? I dunno, man. . .

I can’t think of why it wouldn’t work… it’ll add some crunch, while soaking up some of the sauce.

Tempura flakes, surely, then! I mean, we’re being very legit and traditional here.

Really, the sushi places have the whole “crunchy” idea down pat right now, and potato chips is not it.

Well I’m gonna try it, and based on using chips in other stuff, I can totally see it working.

I got an electric Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Its the new 7 in 1 version. Ive been eyeing one of these for a while and when a friend gave me a $75 amazon gift card for Christmas and Amazon dropped the price on the pot to $75 ( it normally runs around $100 - $125) I grabbed it. So far I really like it. There are a ton of recipes on the net set up specifically for the Instant Pot as well so that’s a bonus.

Yep, the instant pot is a solid device. Easier to use than a regular stovetop one, since it automatically adjusts its heat when it comes to pressure. Nice to not have to take up a spot on the stove, too. Can be a cool thing to take to pot lucks and stuff.

I’ve yet to try all the extra stuff it can do, and generally just use it for normal pressure cooker tasks. But it performs them all admirably.

It is really good at making yogurt!

I’m supremely skeptical of that… I just don’t get it. It seems like that’s gonna be super gross.

I admit I have no rational basis for this belief.

What exactly transpires in that process? I thought yogurt was fermented or something? What is the pressure cooker doing?

The instant pot process is a one device thing which is nice. Making yogurt is

1. (optional but highly recommended, you’ll most likely get a bad batch without it) heating the milk at a pretty high temperature (180F) for a time to kill all the bad things that might be there already (basically pasteurizing it)
  2. get the milk at the temperature that the yogurt bacteria love - 115F
  3. add the yogurt bacteria (for this you pull out your last batch of yogurt or just some plain yogurt from your favorite supermarket brand) a dollop will do ya. My wife uses about a tablespoon for a gallon of milk.
  4. hold that temperature as steady as possible for like 8 hours (the amount of time and “tartness” and “thickness” are all correlated, you can play with it with future batches to get it just like you like it)

Hrmmmmm… what are you doing for your pasturization? Does the pot do that too? I mean, you don’t want it to be too hot, since that’ll screw up the milk, right?

Right, it’s like 180 degrees for 10 or 20 minutes, can’t remember. The 7-in-one instant pot has a yogurt button for it.

edit: was wrong about scalding, lol That’s what it’s actually called.

Oh, and you don’t need to use the separate jars like she does. We just make a whole vat of it. The steamer rack + separate container is unnecessary.

OK, here’s a “vat of yogurt” method like I was thinking:

You DO need a thermometer, the instant pot doesn’t do 180F and then stop, it just has a timed cycle. So you need to do the first heating step with a thermometer in hand. Oh, it looks like you need to have one to make sure it gets to 114/115 also.

I promise you this is easier than I’m making it out to be.

Hrm.

Isn’t the yogurt bacteria just gonna end up making it fine anyway? I thought that was kind of the purpose of yogurt.

Thanks though, this was informative. The timed heating makes sense.

Not sure I’d bother with this, since yogurt’s pretty cheap already… but maybe.

If something else gets in there it can ruin your yogurt. It happened once to us in the instant pot when we weren’t careful with the temperature. There are other bacteria that do just fine at 115F and if they don’t taste good, the yogurt won’t.

Mind you, this was one bad batch for like a dozen. It’s actually pretty foolproof and I suspect our yogurt starter was actually the problem.

Hmm… that’s interesting that she says the cooker can actually scald the milk directly without a thermometer. Turn on yogurt mode, then flip it to boil? But you said you need to have one?

Now I’m all curious, since I have one of these.

Well, the other lady said it takes a few for her, she thinks because of her altitude. It’s just safer to measure but if it always makes it to the right temperature for you, then go ahead and skip the measuring. But I’m pretty sure you need it for the 114/115F part to see when to add the culture anyways.

You should have a kitchen thermometer anyways! :)

I recommend one of these or one of the many clones of it on Amazon:

Thermometers are for rookies!

I actually do, that I use for smoking , but I like the idea of just pushing buttons. It could make sense though for that other lady, as boiling will occur at lower temps at higher altitudes, and generally increases cooking times.

Interesting though. I kind of want to try it.

A gallon of milk is cheaper than a gallon of yogurt, that’s for sure. Well, you get like 80%+ of the volume anyways. And half that if you want greek yogurt, but then you need to get out cheesecloth and I’m all, “meh” to that.

Come to think of it we might only do a half gallon. I forget what my wife buys these days for this process.

Thought I would put this here. My next project will include: