Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Black garlic is great. I just finished off my last batch with some black garlic tofu stirfry. Also good with salmon.

I don’t experiment with it too much, though, as it can be a little pricy (as seen above).

So the recent talk of paprikash, as discussed by @malkav11’s not paprikash, has me making some tonight.

Will report back…

So I’ve never made paprikash or dumplings before. But I’ve never let that stop me.

Turns out it was a good idea, it is delicious.

It kinda has a passing similarity to stroganoff, but it is far better IMO. It is a more complex and fuller flavor. Thanks for the idea folks, I’d never heard of this before!

Stroganoff, goulash (the real kind, not the beef and macaroni stuff I was served as an American child), and paprikash are all pretty closely related, I think.

Yeah, I don’t know much about Hungarian cuisine aside from these three dishes, but their level of quality versus preparation difficulty makes me think very highly of Hungarians.

My slow-cooker beef stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes that I can cook. I absolutely love the whole process, from prepping to finishing, because it takes a few steps and it fills the house with the most incredible aroma and produces a phenomenal dish.

Sadly I don’t have opportunity to make it anymore, basically because I’d be the only one to eat it. I’m paired with a vegetarian, and my kid is super picky, and her kid really shouldn’t be eating meat mixed with dairy.

I really miss cooking that meal. Thanks for those pictures @CraigM.

-xtien

As the resident Hungarian in this thread, I am still aghast at this awful concoction you people are calling paprikash :P Although Craig’s is at least starting to get closer to the real thing :)

Then hook a brother up! I tried finding as authentic of a recipe as I could, but if you’ve got better then quit holding out on us man!

Yeah, I literally had never heard of it before this thread.

One of my favorite things about this thread, really. I am a novelty hog, so always love bits of inspiration. Hence why malkav and you making, according to @Eric_Majkut, not paprikash made me want to try it too.

That said the pork fennel dish @malkav11 made recently? Totally on the list. Looks delicious.

So here’s the thing. I WANT to share the recipe. But I dunno if I should. It’s my grandmother’s recipe. She grew up in Hungary. She worked as a servant, cooking meals for a rich man from her village. So not only is this recipe from the Old World, but it’s a recipe fit for some fancy rich guy. It doesn’t cut any corners. It’s not messing around. There’s lots of salt and butter and that kind of thing. It’s the closest thing I have to a secret family recipe! But oh man it’s so good. My inner Hungarian craves it from time to time. In fact, I think I may be due for a batch soon…

We promise we won’t tell! Don’t we, guys???

At the very least he can’t come in here and dangle the ‘that’s not real (insert dish X)’ without pointing to a reasonable proximity of ‘real (insert dish X)’. I mean that’s just the rules, I didn’t make them ;)

It doesn’t need to be grandma’s secret recipe, but give us something man! We’re just dumb Americans who wouldn’t know a real paprikash if we weren’t eating it. Speaking of, I always found eating it was the desirable outcome.

PLEASE help us Mr. Majkut! You can go to allrecipes.com or another similar site and find the closest thing and post that.

I have a lot of baking recipes passed down from my great grandma and when I go to allrecipes, I usually find them pretty much exactly the same on there.

At least post a picture

Guys this type of begging is almost pathetic…

…do you think it will work?

Haha! Wow, sorry guys. I didn’t expect such a demand!

Ok, fine. But you have to promise pics if anyone makes it. Also, I don’t think they had smoked paprika back then. But I’ve made it with smoked instead of regular and it’s even more amazing that way. Also, let me reiterate that this recipe is “Old World”. The recipe isn’t tailored for 2 people to have a nice healthy dinner. It’s meant to put a ton of food on the table for 6-8 people. You may want to cut this down to half or even less, but honestly I’ve made the entire thing just for myself once or twice and spent a week eating the leftovers and was entirely happy about the whole thing :) Also the fact that it’s in all caps tells you it’s legit. This is straight from grandma’s recipe box after she passed away in 1995, misspellings and blemishes and all:

CHICKEN PAPRIKAS

THIS IS GOOD FOR 6-8 PEOPLE

DUMPLINGS

10 EGGS BEATEN
9 CUPS FLOUR
3 TABLESPOONS SALT
¾ TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
2 CUPS WATER

EASIER TO BREAK THIS RECEIPE IN HALF AND COOK 1 AT A TIME

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS AND BEAT WITH A SPOON
DROP BY TEASPOON IN TO BOILING WATER.

CHICKEN PAPRIKAS

31/2-4 LBS CHICKEN

1 LARGE ONION
3 TABLESPOON SHORTING
2 TEASPOON PAPRIKA
1 CUP WATER
2 CUPS CHICKEN OR BEEF BULLIONS
2 TEASPOON SALT
5 TABLESPOONS FLOUR
2 PINTS SOUR CREAM

CUT CHICKEN INTO PIECES BROWN ONION IN SHORTING AND THEN BROWN CHICKEN. AFTER CHICKEN IS BROWN ADDSALT PAPARIKA WATER AND BULLIONS. SIMMER TILL CHICIS TENDER. MIX FLOUR WITH SOUR CREAM UNTIL SMOOTH IN SEPARATE BOWL. ADD TO CHICKEN BRING TO A BOIL TO THICKEN. SERVE WITH DUMPLINGS

I’ve always substituted butter for the shortening, and not as much. You can also cut back on the salt without making too much of a difference (3 tablespoons haha!), but having slightly salty dumplings coated with that smokey peppery creamy reddish orange sauce is part of what makes this so awesome in my brain :) I wonder if my father didn’t write down the wrong amount of paprika to use, because 2 teaspoons seems entirely too little. I tend to start with that amount and then add more to taste / until it reaches the correct color. It’s hard to add too much. You’ll know when it’s right :)

People need to post their own grandma recipes! :)

I’m going to assume the lack of replies is because you’re all busy making paprikash? :P