Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

What can you do with a bowl of egg yolks? It’s just the yellow part. The whites went into an angel food cake. We’re* actually going to make another one (my son and I love angel food and our birthdays are fast approaching), so I’m going to have about, what, 2 dozen yolks here.

You think I could fry them up and give them to the dog? Would she appreciate such a treat? I really have no idea, but I’m hesitant to send them all down the drain.

*And by “we” I actually mean my wife. One time she asked me what my favorite cake was and I said it was angel food but not to bother making one because my mom had always told me they were too hard. My wife has made me an angel food cake on my birthday for the last 20 years. They are kind of a pain to make. This is why being married is way better than being a kid.

I’d experiment with trying to make Confit Egg Yolks. Which I’ve never done before. And then make a salad and serve one on each.

Either that, or make a vinaigrette with egg yolks. Or super rich deviled eggs.

-xtien

Hollandaise sauce, mayonnaise, pudding, custards… etc.

World’s best omelet, or worst. Pretty much a 50/50 shot. I often have the opposite problem (and on a smaller scale) after baking cookies, as the recipe I base mine off of is Alton Brown’s The Chewy, which always leaves one white behind per batch (and I often make 2-3). Never seems worth saving them, so they often just go down the drain. . .

Tonight produced “halal cart chicken” (modified from the Serious Eats recipe of the same name), halal cart rice (more or less made as suggested by SE), white sauce (modified slightly from the same place!), hummus (based off of Alton Brown’s Hummus in a Hurry), and finally some parmesan-herb pita chips (my own recipe).

+1234, especially pudding, which is usually pretty easy to make.

Hollandaise is trickier, but a great thing to learn how to do. You can build some seriously hi-falutin’ dishes once you’ve got hollandaise down.

For my last game night, i went savory again. Been trying to experiment a bit with hot and filling dishes. I have’t got this one down just yet though… Chili Rellenos Casserole, or at least my version of it. My friends graduated to let’s see if this recipe works a long time ago, and it’s a vegetarian dish to boot.

Oh my that looks like a pile of wonderful things.

I used brown rice on the bottom, but it just didn’t hold together. It’s my biggest complaint about casseroles in general… I hate mounds of things. I want like a shape, a square, a pie wedge, etc.

Ever make spanakopita? The various layers of phyllo help keep the whole thing together (I guess it’s technically a pie in the strictest sense, but honestly, there’s great gobs of gooey vegetable-cheese-matter at the heart of it, so I’m saying casserole, dammit) much better than similar dishes, and, of course, it’s super tasty.

Here is a dumb thing about the groceries I have: none of them sell poblano chiles as far as I can tell. Who the hell has actual freaking Mexican food sections and doesn’t have a basic building block like that? It’s jalapenos or it’s bell and that’s about it.

Dried maybe? My local gigantic Kroger has the usual culprits—jalapenos, serranos, habaneros—in the fresh produce section, and a whole bunch of other chiles off to the side, dried and bagged on a separate rack.

Anyone know much about tilapia? They had it on sale on the store recently so I picked some up. Then I started reading horror stories about Chinese fish farms that feed them sewage and all this awful stuff. And then I noticed the “Product of China” in tiny font on the packaging D:

Am I eating poop fish? Because I was trying to be excited about starting down the path to eating healthier :(

Nah, no dried chiles to speak of. Anyway, I don’t think poblanos are something you use dried.

Well, they are, but when dried, they’re called anchos and have a pretty different taste. Kinda like jalapeños >> chipotles. There’s a chart somewhere, but I’m on my phone 😢

Yeah, I have some anchos (and ground ancho powder) . But there’s a reason they change the name. :)

Hey I found it :-D

I got to ancho before I started drooling

Yes it is lunch time almost.

Mind blown.

I love poblano and ancho chiles. Chipotle too.

Hey @ArmandoPenblade, I keep meaning to tell you, a few weeks ago my wife made low-carb “hummus” out of cauliflower and it was shockingly good. Seriously, I love hummus and while it isn’t exactly like the real thing, I kept thinking, “I can’t believe this is cauliflower” whilst shoving it down my gullet.

We doctored this a bit, I know we added more water to it, some salt, and can’t recall what else, but this will give you the basic idea if you are interested.

Well I know they have farms for that in Hawaii too, but it’s hard to get excited about any food item from China. I’ve started watching out for that more myself.