Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Salted, cured egg yolks?

I usually keep them around and add an extra yolk to my scrambled eggs.

I love stuff like this, and I swear I had a better infographic than yours (in that it had more chiles). While looking for it I came up with this thing though, which is pretty cool and totally unrelated:
https://imgur.com/QdOzaNR

And this:
https://imgur.com/zuly1OD

I’m not sure I understand the eggs one.

Yeah, as a parent of a kid with an egg allergy, I have to say that one is bizarre, but I haven’t tried them. Flax is the best egg substitute for baking:

Depends on what its for. I’ve used applesauce and pumpkin in place of eggs in quick breads and muffins before, but it probably wouldn’t work for something that needs light lift like a cake or whatnot.

The infographic is sort of nice, but eggs are one of those things that have to be taken on a case-by-case basis.

Yeah, you’re totally right about your general point. Also applesauce is definitely a great substitute for egg for a dense cake or muffins particularly.

Yep, egg-subs vary a lot by the role hte egg was supposed to play in the original recipe, as well as the flavors/textures surrounding it. Having a good block of them at the ready is always a plus, though.[quote=“Misguided, post:4260, topic:50840”]
Hey @ArmandoPenblade, I keep meaning to tell you, a few weeks ago my wife made low-carb “hummus” out of cauliflower and it was shockingly good. Seriously, I love hummus and while it isn’t exactly like the real thing, I kept thinking, “I can’t believe this is cauliflower” whilst shoving it down my gullet.
[/quote]

Consider me intrigued! A little grossed out, but intrigued ;-)

Wait is hummus high carb to begin with? I never thought of it as a high-carb food.

EDIT:
Okay, it’s not exactly high, but the cauliflower is lower
Cauliflower Hummus (from above link): 2.4g of carbs per serving (2 tbsp)
Commercial Hummus: 2.1g of carbs per tbsp (according to google search ‘hummus carbs’)

Moderately, yeah, like anything made from beans/lentils/etc. THey’re high in protein and healthy fats, sure, but most of their caloric load is still in the form of carbs.

Regardless, I’m all for subbing in cauliflower into things :p Especially when its roasted.

Yeah, it isn’t massively high, but who wants to eat just a tablespoon or two of hummus?

I thought a serving of humus was simply ‘as much as you made’.

Nah, usually it’s a serving per… wait, where’d all the fucking hummus go? Did I really just finish all that hummus!? God damn it!

Don’t worry guys I made more it’s right. . . oh, shit, it’s gone.

Yeah, as a mostly vegetarian here, I tend to think of all beans as a protein and not carbs. I sometimes forget that plants are complex and contain a multitude of elements within them ;)

The good news is that beans help regulate blood sugar and are really good to eat with other carbs.

I’ve really been pushing to use a lot more beans and whole grains. The other day I made a really tasty beef stew that used barley, northern beans, potato, carrot, onion, beef, broth, red wine, and seasonings. Tasty and healthy to boot!

Help me.

I’m a pie guy. I love baking pies. I baked but a few cakes in my time, but I can do it.

I’ve just been asked if I can bake a vegan cake. I have until Sunday. I feel like this is the worst action movie ever.

Please help me, my cooking friends!

-xtien

The flax for egg substitute works for just about anything baking related. Read at the link I posted a couple posts back.

Thank you @arrendek. I just got informed by non-vegan GF that eggs in cake weird her out. Who knew? I mean, I make scrambled eggs for her all the time and she loves them, but eggs in cake is a veto?

This helps. Thank you.

I’d like some more comprehensive solutions as well, if you folks have them.

-xtien

What kind of cake are you wanting to bake? My wife cooks vegan cakes all the time (and recently gluten free) and I can ask for advice but I think the cake type matters.