Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Attempt 2 at Korean Fried Chicken!

Marinated the chicken in a salt-sugar-vinegar brine for 5 hours, then upped the percentage of potato starch in the crust and fried about 1 minute less on the 1st and 2nd fries. Way more tender, still very crispy, even on day 2 (coming). The sauce was more or less the same proportions of soy/cornstarch/brown sugar/gochujang/garlic/red chilies, but I added some ketchup, water, and red pepper flakes to thin it out and balance the flavors better. SIGNIFICANT IMPROVE

Today’s “wrapping up Korean Week Once and For All” lunch:

Some of said chicken, alongside the soy-sesame braised baby potatoes, some white sticky rice, the last of the vegetarian japchae, and two frozen spring rolls from the toaster oven cuz why the fuck not I’m fat? :-D

That Korean Fried Chicken looks totally yum.

-xtien

A tip o the chapeau goes to Armando. I decided to try my hand at the Korean Fried Crispy Chicken. It was fantastic. A bit spicier than I expected but then I wasnt shy with the gochujang. This is not an issue because I like hot. I served it on a bed of sticky rice with a side of sesame broccoli. This is the first Ive had this but I do believe I nailed it. The chicken was nicely crisped yet still tender in the center and the sauce just great. Thanks for the idea and thank you for introducing me to my new favorite condiment, gochujang. I see myself using that often.

Gochujang is amazing. For some purposes it’s like a tangier, more complex and flavorsome Sriracha, in terms of role played. I love it, and having a tub sitting in my fridge again is very comforting. I’m super glad you’re enjoying it!

Made Chinese food for my parents tonight:

Kung Pao Chicken with Celery and Bell Pepper, Vegetable Lo Mein, Crab Rangoons, Wonton Strips, white rice, and some Mushroom Sauce Braised Gailan. VERY flavorful evening 😀

I would like to hear your recipe for Kung Pao, as it’s one of my favorite dishes

I was coming in here to post what Timex just posted. So now you’ve got two requests for that.

-xtien

More or less:

I sub in chicken breast instead of the thighs, increase the sauce ingredients by 50%, and increase the amount of veggies slightly. I also reserve half the peanuts on the side, as the ones that mix in more or less turn into miniature water chestnuts after the leftovers sit in the fridge.

Oh, and you can probably pump up either the amount of dried chilies by double or just add ~1/4-1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes if you want to actually taste the heat at all :)

Additionally, if anyone wants the lo mein recipe (my fave of the night by far, and one I’ve done more than just modifications to):

It looks fantastic, @ArmandoPenblade. I need to try both the Korean chicken and the Kung Pao.

The serious eats one is cool in that it links to their REAL Kung Pao, which is more in line with how I make mine… although both are good. The more traditional one is my preference though.

Basically, the key is vevelting the chicken, which is basically just marinating it in a cornstarch slurry.

Also the szechuan peppercorns.

Yeah, though the takeout one still has cornstarch in the chicken marinade.

I’ve actually got a sizable tub of szechuan peppercorns, but didn’t terribly care for the flavor they lent whatever I used them in back in the day. Didn’t hate em or anything, but as I recall, I just didn’t get much out of em. Probably too old now to do much with…

Well, they don’t really add that much flavor, as they add a weird tingly/numb effect.

Generally, you’re supposed to use them with hot peppers, and the combination is good. Fun fact, scientists don’t fully understand the chemcial pathway that leads to the numbing effect they have.

I may have to check those out. I have been looking for something similar to the Princess Chicken they put out at the local Chinese restaurants here in town, but haven’t ever tried to make it myself.

I made a leg of lamb tonight. Bought a whole leg, deboned it, seasoned it with Ras el hanout, rosemary, and cardomom. 131 degrees F for 3 hours.

This is actually the smaller of the roasts. Since it was a whole lamb leg, I have another whole roast which is now in the freezer, which I will cook for my Mom’s birthday.

Actually used a torch to brown it this time, and it worked well, although perhaps not as deep as the cast iron pan. Way easier though.

I’ve eaten lamb quite a bit in Greek food but never leg of lamb that looked as delicious as that. Nice job!

Tonight!

Made Chicken Tinga (shredded chicken breasts slow-cooked in a mixture of tomato; chipotle, Anaheim, and Poblano peppers; onion; garlic; cilantro; lime; cumin; epazote; S&P; and chicken broth) and Semi-Homemade Refried Beans (a huge can of pintos fried up with some lard, onions, garlic, cumin, and cayenne).

Alongside them, I had some good Mexican Restaurant-Style Rice (cooked with tomato-chicken bullion–the secret to getting the deep salty, tangy flavor into each grain without having tomato juice burn all over the bottom of the pan–plus onions, garlic, cumin, and frozen mixed veggies), Spicy Latino Slaw (basic coleslaw mix of cabbage and carrots with a glaze made of Mexican crema blended with cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime zest and juice, and a little sugar, salt, and pepper), and some of the Cilantro-Lime Crema leftover from the slaw.

What better way to celebrate such a bountiful feast than. . . Chicken Tinga Flautas! Stuffed corn tortillas with a mixture of the Chicken Tinga, shredded Fiesta-blend cheese, and chopped green onions, then fried in half an inch of oil. Topped 'em with some of the Cilantro-Lime Crema, some crumbled Queso Fresco, and a healthy drizzle of Valentina hot sauce. With sides of the rice, beans, and slaw to match, it was a hell of a dinner :-D

After tonight’s dinner, I’m willing to say that I’ve produced something better than a restaurant (something which I almost never say). But the local hyper authentic Mexican joint du jour, Taqueria el Toro, serves a mean plate of flautas with crema and queso fresco, plus rice and beans. . . and I liked basically everything on my plate more than their version! Including my Valentina, which hasn’t been sitting on a dirty table for 6 months ;-)

I now demand that Armando not only get a food truck, but that he then drive it to all of our houses and give us food.

No shit, man. I’ve been served absolute garbage out of a food truck, he’s overqualified.

Them’s some fine lookin enchiladas pardner. Toss a jalapener on there and you’ve got a meal for fit for the Lone Star State. Toss some posole and green chilis on there and you’ll have to beat the New Mexicans off.

The Okies though? You’ll have to add yella cheese and … maybe some squirrel.

Yea actually we need to crowd fund him a restaurant! Every meal Armando makes is more awesome than the last.

I think they are flautas? Which are kind of like Tacitos?

A Mexican place here makes them, and they are good.