Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I have that oxo pepper grinder, and got it via almost the exact same journey you described.

I wish it had one handed operation for when I’m prepping things like chicken so that I can have one clean hand and one contaminated hand, but for 15 bucks, what’re ya gonna do?

Alton puts on an amazing show! You’re gonna have a blast! (or maybe already did)

So I was filleting a raw rainbow trout that the grocery store killed right in front of me yesterday. My nice sharp boning knife came out near the tail and straight into my finger. Nothing that need stitches but bled quite a bit. I suppose if I get a fever/hot finger tonight, a trip to the ER could be in my future. Probably fine though, should just be more careful.

The trout was possibly the best fish I ever ate, dipped in egg and pancake batter then fried briefly in a bit of butter.

Please don’t die of fish poisoned thumb, Scott!

Also, I am very intrigued by what you describe in the second paragraph!

Dang man, I still have a boning knife scar on my right index finger. You were lucky. I had to have a bit of cautery done as well as stitches. You know why they call it a boning knife? When you cut yourself you can see fucking bone!

Otherwise I made pretty decent tomato sauce and meatballs tonight. I’d post pics but you guys know what they look like already, right?

If fish poisoned thumb was a thing, I think most the men in my family and about half the women would have never made it to adulthood.

Lol. I also got a bit of a laugh when I went on YouTube on how to fillet a trout (properly). My method from my younger days wasn’t bad, but in the video the guy who obviously knows what he’s doing starts with “I always wear this Kevlar glove so I don’t cut myself!”.

Yeah. I’d be more worried if it happened while boning poultry.[quote=“Scott123, post:4530, topic:50840”]
I always wear this Kevlar glove so I don’t cut myself!
[/quote]

And when I was in the restaurant industry we had a chain-mail glove that we were supposed to wear when slicing a lot of deli meat on the rotary. Except that it was too small for my hand. Luckily I never added any RichVR meat to the portions. Others were less lucky. It was funny when some FNG sliced off a fingertip and bled all over the sliced meat and the uncut portion. There goes a few hundred dollars of whatever into the dumpster. Use the huge fucking spikey metal guard? Naw. I’m cool.

Hey dude, you don’t have to slice the heel of the ham. We use that for meat salad or whatever.

I sliced the side off the fingertip slicing meats when I had a summer job making submarine sandwiches. It wasn’t funny at the time.

I sliced off the tip of my right ring finger, nail and all, trying to rush while portioning a whole wheel of cheddar. Once again I’m in the ER getting the lovely smell of burnt me while various tiny blood vessels were cauterized. Sounds familiar, no? When I finally went back to work I was gifted a plastic container with the tip of my finger, nail intact.

And why not…

Several days’ cookery:

Popcorn shrimp (from a bag) on some buttered, toasted French bread spread with tartar sauce and topped with lettuce, onion, tomato, and hot sauce, beside some tasty hush puppies!

Italian sub made with French bread (yeah yeah), plus lots of: olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, provolone, mayonnaise, brown mustard, lettuce, onion, tomato, banana pepper, black olives, smoked ham, capacola, salami, pepperoni, and proscuitto. Mmkay :) Plus what was initially intended to be soup made with thyme-and-oregano-seasoned collards, navy beans, and polska kielbasa, but it came out too thick, so I added rice and made it rice and fancy beans.

Last but not least, some blackened Swai (it was cheap yo), buttered corn on the cob, and more of the tasty lil hushpuppies from before, plus a white-and-wild rice pilaf cooked in a base of onion/celery/carrot/garlic/chicken stock and finished with some toasted, slivered almonds.

For those of you that aren’t afraid of Reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/KitchenConfidential/ is a fun place to go.

Late night churched up dish: canned tamales with added chicken, cheese and chilies. Baked, then broiled for some crusty goodness.

The shrimp po-boy is making me hungry. But holy fuck if you’re hushpuppy game is on point. Dude, I’m fucking southern and can’t get them looking that crispy. Is that a mix?

EDIT: IS on point.

I am all about your dish above, @Skipper! That looks glorious.

Hushpuppies are from-scratch, albeit in the second shot, warmed over in the oven. It’s a pretty simple recipe I found online, honestly; nothing crazy.

• 1 cup AP Flour
  • 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tbsp Sugar
  • 1/2 small Onion, minced (I replace w/ a scant 1 tsp of onion powder; gf hates onion chunks)
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 2 eggs (I think this is too much and want to replace one egg w/ 1/4 cup more buttermilk)
  • 2 tbsp Butter, melted

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, all wet ingredients in a smaller bowl, mix each well, then pour wet into dry and beat into a thick batter. Drop by large spoonfulls into a deep fryer and let 'em go till golden brown and crisp. Recipe calls for 375F, but I find that sometimes crisps the entire outside while leaving the interior a little gummy, so I’m gonna try 350F next time (or maybe just use a smaller scoopin-spoon, lol).

Works for me, I’m going to steal that recipe. I’ll be interesting to hear if the lower temp cooks them through a longer cook time without getting too crispy.

I actually recorded myself saying variants of this line a half dozen times now so I could listen to them and see if they are as ridiculous and hilarious as I thought they would sound.

They have yet to disappoint!

I live to serve!

(tasty eatables. On that note, after living in the same joint for the better part of six years, we’ve finally got the place cleaned up and set up enough to invite people over, so shooting for brunchstravaganza this weekend!)

Also this, obviously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqCQ3L0Ldsw

Rich… that post with the spaghetti, I could only see the top part of the picture with a little bit of the meatball showing. I thought you’d dug up some awful picture on the internet showing cut off digits in a chunky bloody sauce! Was quite relieved to see if was meatballs :)