Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Holy shit this is fucking gold.

¼ cup white seeds
1 cup mixture
1 teaspoon juice
1 chunks
¼ lb fresh surface
¼ teaspoon brown leaves
½ cup with no noodles
1 round meat in bowl

Like holygoddamn I am almost crying in my office. Thank you, @malkav11

You can use more or less the same recipe (I’d up the cardamom and black pepper a little, personally), adding in ground beef and frozen peas (instead of chickpeas) to the cooked-through masala base, to achieve a really decent keema matar.

It’s pretty amazing.

Later in that project it would also be fun if it picked random food pictures and linked them as part of the generated recipe, just to make it more comedic.

I think my favorite thing may be the instruction to “fold water. Roll into small cubes.”

I always have a hard time getting a good quarter inch dice with my water.

If you want quarter inch dice, I recommend dragon fruit as a substitute. The taste is different, but it really helps the presentation.

The secret, no shit? Chill your knife in the freezer first. It kinda ices the edge of the water as you slice; helps you get way straighter cuts.

Some of the best vegetarian food I ever ate was at the Hare Krishna temple in Manhattan. My first wife was originally a devotee. She had this cookbook.

I’m gonna make some green gumbo, with a bunch of wild rice in it tonight, I think.

And… Done!

Was too tired and frustrated last night by other stuff, but here we go:

First attempt at making a calzone more or less from scratch (I did buy the Pepperonis and Mozzarella ball, but made the dough and sauce from scratch).

Lessons learned: When I made the dough, it was initially way too sticky, because my apartment is hella humid and all my flour has more water in it than recipes expect. I went overboard in adding flour, I realized too late, so the final product was a little dry. This meant that when I rolled the dough out into two balls (to save one for pizza tomorrow), the “seal” at the bottom never really sealed. When I rolled one out into a disc to make the calzone, this frayed seal expanded out and wound up forming a lumpy ring at the outer edges of my disc that just would not flatten out (I didn’t want to use a rolling pin for fear of squeezing out too much of the air bubbles from my abbreviated dough resting time). Which would have been awesome for a pizza. But for a calzone, it meant that when time came to fold it up and seal the edge, the “crust” was huge and resulted in a very big doughy ring around half the calzone. But turns out, my gf loved that!

Furthermore, my sauce could have used a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to darken it and enrich the flavor. Also even more fresh basil and oregano. And maybe use less of it within the calzone itself.

Those two issues aside, it was delicious and amazing, and a perfect way to break in my new pizza peel and stone!

Looks great. A little extra dough is never a bad thing. When I don’t have tomato paste around I’ll throw a few tablespoons of plain tomato puree in the pan while sauteeing the onion and garlic. Not mixed with them, kinda in its own corner. Let it cook down on its own. Not tomato paste by a long-shot, but it helps. Also, don’t tell anyone I said this, a few tablespoons of soy sauce will add that umami taste as well. Shhhhh!

Ive always found calzones to be tricky when it comes to the sauce. Too much and the calzone is too wet, too little and you lose a lot of flavor. I came to the conclusion that a thicker robust sauce is far better so I do what you did and add tomato paste, I also reduce the sauce a bit before I use it.

You can also brush the dough with olive oil to create a moisture barrier. Just remember to leave an inch or so around the edges for a seal.

I always used to hate dipping into a can of tomato paste for just a small amount. I don’t remember where I picked it up, probably Alton, but whenever I use tomato paste and have leftovers from the can I take tablespoons of it and put it on a small dish on top of some wax paper, then freeze it. Once frozen I take the little chunks and put them in a freezer bag. That way when running into a problem like yours, I can take out a tablespoon at a time if needed.

I do the same with leftover stock, freezing it in a spare ice tray, then transferring it to a container.

I think the calzone looks good, if bready. It would have gone well with some garlic butter dipping sauce. :)

If you just need a little bit of tomato paste (and generally that’s all I do need) the way to go are those squeeze tubes. Yeah, they’re a little pricey but they keep for ages even after you open them and it’s easy to dispense just the amount you need. Also Trader Joe’s has them for like half the price of the Amore brand stocked at my other groceries.

Haha. Discourse just reprimanded me for replying to Skipper too many times in this thread.

I buy the tubes.

But instead of trying to use tomato paste for flavoring pizza sauce, I just cook the shit out of it in a pressure cooker ala Modernist Cuisine. Great stuff. The trick was making sure it was in long enough, 45 minutes surprisingly was not enough for my pressure cooker.

Canned tomato paste is for suckers… because who ever needs a whole CAN of it?
Get it in a tube. When I realized that it came in a tube, it changed my life.

I have needed a (small) can of paste a few times. But otherwise, tubes.

I’ve learned 2 things today:

• Buy tomato paste in a tube.
  • Pressure cook my homemade pizza sauce. Also assuming this might work for other sauces.

Pressure cooker is ideal for anything that you would normally cook for a long ass time.

The only thing you won’t get, which you could get from cooking in a normal pot, is a reduction in the water content. But it’ll be very good for combining and mellowing the flavors.