Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Part two, to not run up against image limits…
Pinto Beans and Peppers In A Buttery Tomato Sauce
from How to Cook Everything Fast

Pretty much what it sounds like. You start the sauce with butter and then tomatoes, chuck in some chopped bell peppers and a jalapeno and braise them a bit, then mix in pinto beans and some stock and let the whole thing bubble along for 10-15 minutes. The base recipe uses red beans, cabbage and ginger and again, might have to try that but I’m used to peppers and have done very little with cabbage, so I did that version first. Honestly, this didn’t quite feel like a full main dish to me. I’d maybe add some meat or serve it across rice or something.

King Ranch Casserole
from Cook Country Eats Local

This ended up being just a little too much casserole for the dish and leaked over the sides, so it’s not super photogenic. The recipe involves first spraying some corn tortillas with oil on both sides and baking them for ~12 minutes (for sort of a homemade chip effect). Then you build the filling, sauteeing a couple onions and jalapenos in butter with cumin, adding a couple cans of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes w/chilies, then thickening with flour, then mixing in a bunch of chicken broth and some heavy cream and thickening that some, braising some boneless chicken breast chunks in it for a few minutes, and then finally taking it off the heat and mixing in a pound of Colby Jack and some cilantro. At this point you break up the baked tortillas and fill the bottom of a baking pan with half of them, then half the chicken mixture, then the rest of the tortillas, followed by the rest of the mixture. Cover with foil, bake for 15 minutes or so, uncover, top with crushed Fritos, and bake for another 10 minutes or so. The result is pretty yummy, but I think I would go a little lighter on the chicken in future, since I am pretty sure that’s why it ended up being too much for the pan.

Broiled Ziti

This is the baseline recipe of the variant I posted earlier with feta and olives. The main difference is this uses a full pound of mozzarella plus a quarter pound of parmesan, and of course has no feta or olives. Pretty tasty, but the variant is better, and this mix of cheeses would probably benefit from one of the other two variants presented as well (either adding ricotta or sausage).

Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
No photo here because frankly, burritos, from the outside, are burritos.
This is a super straightforward recipe whose primary complication is recommending that you make homemade salsa as part of the recipe. If you want to skip that, you literally just have to cook some rice in one pot, while you chop up some boneless chicken thighs, and cook them in oil w/ salt and pepper for a few minutes until they’re not pink anymore, then add a can of black beans, some garlic, chili powder, cumin, and a bit more salt and pepper, and cook for like 5 more minutes. Put the chicken, beans and rice together in burrito sized tortillas (warm first in the microwave for 15 seconds or so), fold up, serve. The salsa? Chop a pound or so of fresh tomatoes, a small onion, a jalapeno, and a bunch of fresh cilantro and mix them all together in a bowl. Add two limes worth of fresh lime juice and some salt and pepper, stir. Done. Here’s the crucial mistake I made: you are meant to put the salsa and sour cream on top. I tried to make them part of the filling, and as such my burritos were way overfull and impossible to close even after I scaled down the amounts and made ~9 burritos out of a recipe designed to make four. They were really tasty, though!

I’ve also made more pasta with giardiniera and sausage, more bachelor spaghetti with peppers and onions, and a couple other retreads, all still fantastic.

Here’s that gumbo I made.
It was good.
It’s kind of non traditional in that it contains rice, instead of being served over it, but it’s whole grain wild rice grains, which holds their consistency after cooking, and never turn to mush. Works out very well, can cook in one dish, and can store in one container.
(Except I made infinity of it, and filled to of the largest containers I had)

I made this last weekend before the rain. I didn’t take pics of the process. But I remembered to get a pic before eating. Dry rubbed ribs.

I pre-cooked them in the oven.Wrapped in foil for a short time. Then I transferred them to the grill. They were on one side. One side had cherrywood chips. They were on the other side over an aluminum pan with a layer of water. The heat was on low under the chips. The ribs were under the chimney on the other side. No heat there. The point was to smoke them and not burn them. I think they turned out pretty good.

I need to do more Cajun cooking. Oh man, you’ve even got okra in there. I think I’ve only had it once. I think. And I don’t remember what it tastes like but I remember not liking it. So I’m afraid I’d ruin a whole pot of gumbo. But it’s such a southern thing! :)

Okra is one of two things that can be used for gumbo texture. That and file powder, which is ground sassafras. I actually used both, cause I like the flavor and aroma of file.

Okra is a weird vegetable. It’s kind of slimey and sticky inside. Once it’s cooked, it’s fine, but raw it’s weird. That weirdness helps thicken and smooth out the gumbo though. I think that generally, gumbo either uses file OR okra.

But like I said, my stuff is not traditional.

I think Armando can probably give better info on this than I can.

Rich, why not go on the grill for the entire time? Too slow?

My wife is picking up our daughter from college. They will be home on Saturday and I told our daughter I’d make anything she wants. She was at school when I made the ribs a few weeks ago, and that’s what she has requested.

The okra vs filé battle is nearly as violent as the tomatoes or no tomatoes war in Louisiana. Whole families lost to the madness. Tragic, really.

In any case, you need some kinda thickener cuz you should be cooking your roux so dark it’s lost all its thickening power, so okra or the powder it is. I prefer filé’s flavor, so I favor it in my own gumbo. Which is really dead simple, once you get past the difficulty of making a chocolate roux without burning it…

Yeah, pretty much to speed things up. Next time I’ll probably do grill all the way.

Long as they come out good!

I’ve never really made ribs on my own before but all the posts about them in here recently kinda got me in the mood. And then they were on sale at the grocery store. Sooooo it’s not very Cinco de Mayo-ey but oh well! :)

Making spice rub:

First brushed on a mixture of dijon mustard and liquid smoke, then covered liberally in the spice rub. Gonna let them chill in the fridge for a couple hours and then into the oven!

I realize some may view it as offensive that I’m not grilling/smoking these at all. Trust me, I’d love to, but such is life in an apartment. I don’t expect these to be as good as when my dad does them on the grill, but I’m still optimistic they will come out tasty! And I even have some of my dad’s home made bbq sauce in the fridge so I’ve got that going for me too ;)

Don’t let those bbq snobs get to you. Ribs done in the oven can be delicious too.

Agreed. Use what you have. I may love my smoker, but good ribs are good ribs. They won’t look quite the same, but the thing to do there is to brush a bit of sauce at the end and put them under the broiler, assuming the sauce isn’t too sweet. (If it is, watch it very closely and be careful the sauce doesn’t burn, which can happen in a hurry). That will help give them more of the look like they were grilled.

The recipe I’m following has you broil them for the first five minutes until the brown sugar gets kinda bubbly and they start to brown, then baking in a 300 degree oven for 2.5-3 hours. You cover with foil about halfway through. Slather on some bbq sauce last 30 mins.

There’s also a layer of dijon mustard mixed with liquid smoke under the dry rub :)

Same principle, more or less. Sure they will be awesome.

I usually do the broiling at the end. What’s the advantage to doing it at the start?

You get a nice crust before the cooking process forces liquid out to the surface. Liquid on the surface will not allow a good browning. I always pat meat dry before grilling.

Ready to have some of my dad’s home made bbq sauce brushed on :D

Sauced.

Stupid baked beans are leaking into my macaroni salad! :[

Nice job, Eric.

Yeah, looks good. My wife has made killer ribs in the oven before. No snobbery here.