Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I’m with @ChristienMurawski in just buying crust, but I also dislike pie crust. The nice thing about home made is… you almost ALWAYS have the ingredients on hand whereas you might need to go get a pre-made crusts.

Now that I know someone has tried the apple shreds… might have to try that one myself.

Yeah, I’ve never tried that either, but I like the idea, too. You’re basically adding pectin, so it should thicken. And there’s a certain elegance to using fruit to bolster other fruit.

I generally only do pies/quiches for special occasions for family (thanksgiving being a primary), and always do homemade pie crust. You can tell mine are homemade because they are too ugly to be store bought.

Man join the buying your crust train, man. I make chicken pot pie and there is no way in hell I’d make the crust too. Aldi brand crusts work just fine for that.

Nothing says homemade quite like an amoeba shaped pie.

I use store bought, mostly. Once it’s defrosted it can be sliced and molded just fine. Making it from scratch is great but it adds time that is often not available.

Plus it’s one of those items that I’ve found the quality jump from store bought is fairly small, especially on savory pies, making the effort really not worth it. Some fruit pies may be worth it, but very few IMO.

Great. Now I’m craving chicken pot pie.

I love making pies for people. But I’m much more on the savory side of the spectrum, so chicken pot pie sounds great.

Also, as I have said before, I wish I lived in a country where I could easily get pho or ramen for breakfast.

-xtien

Exactly right. I put in all that work and then the store thing is just about as good? WTF!

Weirdly I’d rather roast my own chicken than buy the much cheaper rotisserie bird from the store, though. Because I find roasting a chicken to be a pleasure. I find making crust to be a chore.

I’m getting better about pizza dough, though. I like making that, for some reason.

-xtien

I assume you are tossing it in the air properly and any pets you have are anxiously awaiting it to hit the floor. Hey do you flip the pan for pancakes?

I am right there with you, on everything.

Of course. I refer to my awesome dog Honey as our house Roomba. She only stops her rounds when I’m actively cooking.

Wait. How do you know that!

I used to do it with fried eggs too, but that’s tricky when you need a runny yolk.

-xtien

Ok who wants their eggs over eas… ok we’re having scrambled eggs. Who wants scrambled eggs.

If I haven’t asked at some time in the past, please direct me to your chicken pot pie recipe/process. I love the idea of trying that, and of trying to come up with a vegetarian alternative for my girlfriend.

But the chicken first.

-xtien

Ha!

Whenever my dad visits, his preferred breakfast is a waffle with an over-easy egg on top. He loves to break the yolk on top, and spread it over the waffle, preferring that to syrup or butter. So getting the over-easy egg just right is really important.

-xtien

I am always craving chicken pot pie.

When I lived in Brooklyn I’d often just go to the local pizzeria and buy the dough from them. $2.00 a ball, enough for two pies. Here I always make my own. OTOH I do like a Boboli pizza now and then.

Ok, let me see if I can do it for you.

1lb chicken
~2-3 carrots, sliced tihn
1 can peas/ corn (I’ve done both
3 celery ribs sliced thin
1/3 cup butter
1 medium onion, diced
1/3-1/2(?) cup flour
salt
pepper
rosemary
tarragon
celery seed (can use celery salt and omit regular salt)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
pie crusts

melt butter in pan, brown onions until caramelized. I also brown the chicken (enough to give some flavor transfer, but not enough to fully cook) and remove to another large sauce pan.

In the second pan take chicken, carrots, celery, and peas/ corn with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook until veggies are soft ~15 minutes

In the pan of onion and butter, once browned, add flour, tarragon, rosemary, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Mix thoroughly, then slowly add milk and broth. simmer until sauce thickens.

place one pie crust into baking dish, and then drain the veggie and chicken mix, and pour into it. Pour the sauce mixture on top. Fold second crust over top, cut steam holes, and stick into oven at 425 for 30 minutes.

I tend to go heavy on veggies, and cut back on the chicken somewhat, simply because cans of peas or corn are more than 1 cup, and that’s what the recipe called for. Plus I tend to use extra carrot. What can I say ;)

My favorite pie crust from CI was usurped by Chef Steps:

It’s a pain to make but it does in fact destroy super market pie crusts. Since the crust is our favorite part of the pie I just don’t bother making pie anymore unless I make the crust.

Works great for chicken pot pie too, though I wasn’t thrilled with Chef Steps’ turkey pot pie recipe. The crust was fantastic but the filling was just OK.

Sure, sure. There isn’t that much difference between “just about as good” and “I love you” ;P

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!