Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

@Skipper I’m making your girlfriend’s chicken tacos again today. Been craving it all week. Please tell her thanks and that they’re really freakin’ good :D

Hey, fear not, I made them as well, just yesterday. I added chorizo to it as well. We have a TON of it left, so I’m guessing it will turn into flautas or perhaps something else by Sunday.

Maybe an enchilada inception. Chicken cooked in enchilada sauce, then used to make enchiladas … in sauce.

Both times I made them I made some guac to go along with it, and I always put a jalapeno in my guacamole. I chucked some of the extra pepper in with the onions and chicken last time and that gave the sauce a nice little bit of heat. Added a bit more this time. I recommend it if you like a little spiciness :)

I love the spiciness, she’s a bit of a lightweight though. If I had my way there would be at least a half a can of chipotles in adobo sauce added to it. That’s my go to for flavor in a lot of braises and stews.

Hnghhhh y’all makin me want Mexican again but it’s almost time to start prepping. . .

THE KOREAN DOOMSDAY APOCALYPSE FEAST

My timely, but largely inappropriately named, celebration of Korean cuisine that I’ll be prepping for a 20-person cabin party next weekend :-D

You complain about all the time you have to spend cooking, but then you volunteer for things like this. You know, you could just slam your head in a car door. It would be easier and less painful. :P

But I like to make people happy, and I like to do that with food o.o

There must be someone out there that would be happy watching you put your head in a door! :D

@Skipper What brand of enchilada sauce do you guys use?

What is a cabin party? I don’t get out much.

Sorry to go back to this, but am I understanding this right? You’re eating thr crab’s liver, lungs, gonads, digestive system etc in that “brown meat” stuff? It sounds hideous.

Sure, most shellfish is the same. I’m not the only one who sucks out the inside of a prawns head surely? Similarly with lobster, you only take the tiny stomach sack out that’s just behind the eyes and devein it. Everything else is yum.

We all grew up in the Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee, so despite it being very much a small town, there was a decent amount to do because the whole area was a giant tourist trap. One thing we eventually learned was that the hundreds of rental cabins up in the mountains were super cheap to rent in the off season, and a great way to get away from the prying eyes of parents. Plus, to our youthful, amorous hearts, the promises made by a dozen private bedrooms and usually a jacuzzi or two were impossible to ignore…

So in the grand tradition of our thoroughly debaucherous-yet-delightfully-geeky after prom and post graduation bashes, my friend Megan rents of a big cabin in the middle of nowhere up on the mountains for us each year to stay at and eat, drink, game, and be merry in :-)

Oh yeah, Ive seen Cabin In The Woods, Ticks, Wrong Turn, Cabin Fever, Howling etc. I know what happens in these cabins to teenagers.

I am flat out jealous.

Just for shits and giggles: grocery/planning/equipment/recipe list for next weekend:

[details=Click for Giant List]###Randy ARMANDO Buy

• Spinach (1.5 - 2lb)
  • Soybean Sprouts (1.5 - 2lb)
  • Scallions (3-4 Bunches)
  • Sweet Potatoes (2-3)
  • Onions (6)
  • Asian Pears (2)
  • Korean Green Chilies (2)
  • Zucchini (4)
  • Bell Pepper (3)
  • Mushrooms (8oz)
  • English Cucumbers (2)
  • Baby Potatoes (3lb)
  • Kale
  • Shredded Cabbage (2lb)
  • Ginger (Large “hand”)
  • Garlic (6 heads)
  • Carrots (1lb)
  • Soy Sauce
  • Sesame Oil
  • Doenjang (Amazon)
  • Sesame Seeds - ?
  • Rice Syrup (Cary grocery) or Corn Syrup
  • Rice Wine Vinegar
  • Rice Wine (Mirin)
  • Corn Tortillas - ?
  • Light Brown Sugar
  • Ketchup
  • Spam
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Unbleached AP Flour
  • Peanut Oil (Deep Fryer)
  • Tofu
  • Korean Pickled Radish (Ssam-Mu, https://mykoreankitchen.com/korean-pickled-radish/)

###Megan Buy (Since I’m driving 6 hours to this party, she’s gotta get the REALLY perishable stuff)

• 4-5lb Beef (Thinly Sliced, ideally, or frozen, Ribeye, Sirloin, etc.)
  • 3-3.5lb Chicken Tenderloins
  • 3-3.5lb Chicken Wings (divided)
  • Kimchi (~48oz total)
  • Eggs (~4 dozen?)
  • Buttermilk (1/2 gallon?)
  • Bacon/Sausage (3-5lb total)
  • Butter (1-2lbs of Unsalted Butter)

###Randy ARMANDO Bring (Already Owned)

• Sugar
  • Flour
  • Baking Soda
  • Baking Powder
  • Vanilla
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Chopped Nuts
  • Cranberries
  • Syrup
  • Sriracha
  • Potato Starch
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Honey
  • Gim
  • Dried Red Chilies
  • Gochujang Paste
  • Gochugaru Flakes
  • Kosher Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Dried Anchovies
  • Oyster Sauce
  • Sushi Rice

###Tools

• Cast Iron Skillet
  • Big Skillet
  • Big Stockpot
  • Deep Fryer
  • Good Knives (2)
  • Measuring Spoons (2 sets)
  • Measuring Cups
  • Pouring Measuring Cup (big and small)
  • Mixing Bowls
  • Glass Bowls
  • Whisk
  • Tongs (x2)
  • Good Spatula
  • Slotted Metal Spoon
  • Slotted Wood Spoon
  • Wood Spatula
  • Grater/Blender??
  • Cutting Boards (big and plastic)
  • Sponge
  • Dish Soap
  • Fantastik Spray
  • Cheesecloth

###Recipes

Additionally, the tentative menu, ready for print :)

Not the lungs. Those are the little fibrous things, and I don’t believe anyone eats them.

I suppose you can, but they likely don’t taste like anything. They are basically just filters.

The sucking prawn is a thing that still disturbs me. I’ve no issues breaking down Dungeness crab, even if it is fresh off the boat even but the goo I rinse off.

Korean is fantastic. It seems like your menu is set, but if you have room to add one more:

One of my favorite korean dishes. Pretty easy to make, super delicious. Throw in a little korean rice cake, or make a full on dish:

jim, thanks for the handy tip. I will keep it in mind, but yeah, the current assortment of recipes is already gonna be running up hard against the available countertop space and stove eyes as is. . .

. . . esp. since I’m gonna be trying to prep all of that in the space of about 4 hours (cabin opens at 3PM, and I’d like to have supper set by 7).

. . . but that looks good, sooooo :)

mmmm. Tteok pokki. One of my favorites.