Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Message received and understood.

Is it? I mean, one of the great things about sous vide is that it’s pretty much fire and forget. I barely use the connected features of my Anova, let alone voice control.

I use voice control for a lot of things, lights, heat and AC, home security, music etc. I have a dot in my kitchen so it just seems like it would be easy to say set sous vide for 135 and timer for 3 hours and Im good to go. It’s certainly not a must have function but since I already use voice command a lot for other things, why not for this.
Anyway, Ill find out how useful it is. Ive been waffling on buying a sous vide for months and today I finally ordered one.

I guess it makes more sense for Joule. Anova has a physical temperature dial. I just use my Dot for the timer.

Yeah, Joule HAS to be operated from the app (or voice). It has no physical display or controls, if I understand correctly. This has a lot to do with why it is so much smaller.

I discovered that my Anova app doesn’t like it if I don’t set a timer. It constantly reminds me that it’s up to temp and I should put the food in.

Well put the fuckin’ food in then, Rich! Geez! Maybe it can remind you to actually take pics next time! :(

I think I’m cranky because the paprikash meter is close to bottoming out. I know what I’m doing this weekend! :D

Definitely pics next time. I’m considering making hamburgers. Kenji López-Alt speaks very highly of them.

Edit: Since the sealer came with only 3 bags, what form of bulk bags do you recommend? I’m guessing that generic bags work just as well as name brand bags. Suggestions welcome.

I absolutely have to try sous vide burgers! The rare-medium rare range sounds perfect for me. I also have a rack of ribs Im going to try out this weekend. Cant wait to get my sous vide!

Yeah I’m really excited by this. I have pork and beef that I want to use. If they’re half as good as they look I’ll probably be doing it often. And yeah, ribs! So many meats so little time. :)

These work as well as the food saver bags and are less expensive Amazon.com

If you prefer the authentic brand, quite often the Foodsaver site has a 2 for 1 sale on their rolls. That brings them down to a reasonable price. In fact it happens to be going on now http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storage-bags-and-containers/vacuum-seal-bags-and-rolls/

I was going to immediately order the bag rolls from your first link but the wife wants to check local stores first. Go figure. I can wait a day. I guess.

Edit: The tomato plant is giving up its love. There are more on it. So more to come. Lovely fresh tomato salad coming up.

I’ve yet to try burgers, as I very rarely cook them the usual way as it is, but it makes perfect sense in terms of being able to guarantee doneness throughout but only having a sear on the outside. Might try them this summer.

Does anybody have a link for sous vide toast? I think it’s an hour in the water bath and then–after letting the slices rest for about ten minutes–you put the bread in the toaster to get the outside done. The last step only takes three minutes from what I understand.

I can’t find the recipe though.

Sous vide burgers. You guys are killing me.

-xtien

It allows you to have a rare burger while still cooking the meat to a point where it is safe to eat. I cant count the times Ive been chastised for wanting my burgers grilled at what many call seriously undercooked. The method is really only good if you prefer a burger that is cooked fully and yet still juicy. If you like charbroiled hockey pucks, then its not for you. And dont knock sous vide toast, its sublime!

I know, right? Like I can sorta understand a sous vide steak, because it’s a piece of actual meat that you tenderize and break down over many hours in the hot water. But ground beef? Wtf? Grill that shit! It takes 5-10 mins to make a burger. How does pre-heating it in the water do anything beneficial? It’s not going to get more tender, it’s already been put through a freakin’ grinder. But sure, I can understand how you’re eager to try dunking everything in your new hot water bath machine :P

As rshetts says, it means you can safely (and reliably) make rare/medium rare burgers. I don’t like burgers enough to do it myself, but it’s a really solid application of the tech if you do.

The point of sous vide isn’t generally to tenderise/break down over a long time, though you can do that. It’s to get a precise level of doneness.

But at the end you have like, gray, warm ground beef. That sounds really gross, no matter how perfectly rare it is :P

Burgers need some char on the outside. A steak is a substantial enough piece of meat that you can quickly sear the outside without overcooking the inside. I don’t think that’s gonna work with a burger. If you try to sear the outside then you’re gonna have a well done burger. In which case you could have just grilled them to begin with :P

Please don’t take this the wrong way, Rich especially. I’m all for trying new cooking methods but this seems silly to me. Hence the questions. :)

Well of course you sear it, but only very quickly at very high heat. You’re not going to get a well done burger if you do 30 seconds a side.

No you dont, you have this:

Once again, not for everyone but if you like a rare burger and want to cook it safely this is the way to go. If I wanted medium to well done, I wouldn’t bother.