Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

For the pakoras (and things like, say, falafels), I’m curious how well it winds up solidfying things into, err, “pleasing” shapes? With a deep fryer, moments after hitting the oil, the dropped batter is developing a thin but tough skin of dried-out material that lets it achieve a definitive shape almost immediately. With an air fryer, I guess I’m just worried about it oozing out the bottom of the basket for 2-3 minutes.

I mean, you can solve with thicker batter (and my preferred pakora method produces a pretty thick batter), but yeah. …

I honestly have no idea how it will work.

Another thing I plan on trying is the chicken wings. They are fresh rather than frozen. No idea what the result will be.

Well not much cooking with this but we did have a much lighter offering at game night this week:

Pudding and Yogurt parfaits. Semi-home made pudding. Yes, I know I have old lady looking chairs. heh.

Your presentation is spot on.

Sous vide burgers for Father’s Day breaking in the new Joule!

130 degrees for 2.5 hours. I think next time we might go 2-3 degrees higher, but they were everything I hoped they’d be.

That looks like room temperature hamburger on a plate. Eww :/

Can you guys take your boring ass, gross looking hot water bath nonsense to its own thread or something? You’re killing the real cooking conversation. :P

I may or may not be cranky because I started a diet today. :[

Dude, you picked the wrong diet. That is ON mine.

I lost about 40lb over the last two years (most of it in the first 6 months, admittedly). Sous vide chicken and vegetables were a big part of my diet at the strictest time…and now I still eat those (and other sous vide stuff) because it tastes good.

Geez, lots of fantastic pics. We’ve shifted from sous vide to air frying?

Finally, after several weeks, I finally got hold of a nice tri-tip. The butcher tells me that it’s a rare cut here. Really? Anyway, pics to come.

My weekend cookery:
Farro With White Beans and Tuna
from How to Cook Everything Fast

On the stove, get a pot of water boiling to cook the farro (about one Trader Joe’s package worth, that being the only place I know for sure carries this particular grain in my area), and salt it. In a large bowl, add olive oil, the juice of one lemon, sliced raw red onion, a couple of cans of (drained, rinsed) white beans, a can of oil-packed tuna and its oil, and some capers. Once the water boils, add the farro and cook that according to package directions. Meantime, chop some fresh parsley and add to the bowl. Once the farro is ready, drain it, add it to the bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss. Surprisingly hearty and very yummy.

Herby Chicken Thighs with Crisp Cabbage and Fennel
from How to Cook Everything Fast

Rub some boneless chicken thighs with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then broil them on high for 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile, mix a clove of garlic (minced), some chopped fresh rosemary, chopped fresh oregano (couldn’t find it so I used dried), olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a bit of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Once the timer’s done on the chicken, pull it out, brush the top side with the herb mix, turn it over, brush that side as well, and then broil for another 6-8 minutes. Get some oil going in a large skillet and chop up a small green cabbage (Trader Joe’s only had preshredded, so I used that) and a fennel bulb then cook them in the skillet with some salt and pepper for 2-4 minutes “until slightly softened but still crunchy” (not sure I achieved this). Once both that and the chicken are done, you serve the chicken on the cabbage and fennel and drizzle any remaining herb mix over the top. Delicious, surprisingly easy, and I was surprised how good the cabbage and fennel part was. I don’t associate cabbage with much taste, usually.

It’s a variant of a recipe that uses Thai peanut sauce instead of the herbs and bean sprouts instead of the fennel, but I had a spare fennel bulb from the sausage and fennel pasta I made earlier, so I needed something else to use it on, and so, voila. There’s also a variant that uses barbecue sauce and a red onion instead of the fennel. Both sound lovely and I will have to try them.

Farro is great, but I find that it’s become hipster pricey.

If you are into it, I recommend barley, which is way cheaper, and gives a similar result.

Looks good, I’d hit it. The chicken especially looks good.

I’m in the process of cooking something right now… will post it up if it turns out.

Ok, it came out good. Not sure the pics can really convey the cheesiness, but it’s good.
I roasted some cauliflower, and then made a Mac and cheese base with mushrooms, onions, peppers, along with some berbere spice, mustard powder, salt, pepper. The cheese sauce was basically a roux with milk and cheddar cheese.

Oh, and some diced ham and broccoli in there too.

Sounds delish.

You guys are killing it tonight! Nicely done.

Yay! Real food again! :P

That looks fantastic. I love cabbage in dishes but my GF, sadly, does not. I have honestly never cooked with fennel but you’re making me want to, badly.

Timex, that hot dish looks great as well. I’ve never even heard of berbere spice or used it until you just put that there and I had to go look it up. Sounds tasty? Good for a dry rub or is it to be used more sparingly?

I plan to do something this weekend but I’m still in the planning stages. I also have chicken to cook this week, maybe jerk style, we’ll see.

Berbere spice is THE SHIT. You need to get it. It’s amazing.
Technically, it’s just a spice blend that is used in ethiopian cooking, and in Ethiopia every family pretty much has their own special recipe.

Here is what I use. I highly recommend it:
https://www.amazon.com/Teeny-Tiny-Spice-Ethiopian-Bereberé/dp/B0063J1OIY/ref=pd_bxgy_325_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0063J1OIY&pd_rd_r=QCP6B6FVFZPFZN50FZG0&pd_rd_w=JXi7K&pd_rd_wg=yzSVJ&psc=1&refRID=QCP6B6FVFZPFZN50FZG0

It’s a strong spice blend, with a good degree of heat, but a lot of complexity behind the heat. I use it in a ton of stuff I cook. It goes especially well with chicken.

Sounds good to me, ordered!

I almost forgot, some pics of test things from the air fryer function on the toaster oven

The wings turned out really well. Not breaded at all, just marinated in some stuff (mainly rooster sauce).
The fries turned out well, although the sweet potato ones probably need to be cut thinner. The inside was done, but the fries themselves were kind of floppy.
The egg rolls are really not done justice by that picture. No idea why they look so grey in it. They turned out quite good and crispy, but didn’t get the bubbly outside to the same degree as when they are deep fried.

The egg rolls are actually made using the left over stuff from the potstickers that I cooked up with some nappa cabbage.