Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

TONIGHT! South Indian cuisine wraps up :)

Potato Sabzi–Fry mustard & cumin seeds, dried red chilies, and curry leaves in hot oil, then add in minced ginger and green chilies, uncooked split urad dal and chana dal lentils, and cashew pieces, then toss in some sliced onions and cook till soft. Mix in turmeric, salt, and boiled, chopped potatoes, then finish with a spritz of lime and cilantro. Makes a great stuffing for dosas or its own dish.

Coconut Chutney–blend together frozen-fresh (not dried) shredded coconut, dry-seared green chilies, cilantro, and ginger, yogurt, salt, and coconut milk, then fry mustard seeds, red chilies, asafoetida, curry leaves, and split urad dal lentils in hot oil and pour in (then mix in, but it looked cooler this way!). Delicious spread or dip.

Spicy Tomato Chutney–fry cumin and mustard seeds in hot oil, then add in red onions and eventually garlic and dried red chilies, then finally tomatoes, salt, and red chili powder. Cover and cook till softened, chill, then blend into chunky dipping sauce or spread. So tasty!

On the left–vegetable sambar! A spicy Indian stew thickened with cooked lentils and flavored with mustard seed, cumin seed, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coconut milk, tamarind paste, curry leaves, and dried red chilies. The veggies include diced onion, whole shallots, crushed garlic, plus chunked up sweet potatoes, carrots, bottle gourd, and tomatoes. Boil till softened and mix in some cilantro and salt to taste. I mixed in a little rice to bulk it up a bit.

Beside that, we’ve got a mysore masala dosa foldover–the urad dal and rice batter from last night has fermented beautifully into a thick, foamy batter that spreads out into thin crispy dosa crepes. Once you’ve got one nice and crisp, spread on some tomato chutney, potato sabzi, mozzarella cheese, and cilantro and fold it over. Delicious!

Finally, there’s a plain, rolled dosa–crisp, light, and tasty!

What a fuckin’ supper, man :-D

I’m gonna cook some of that

I picture in my mind living in the Penblade household and on any random day, a PA system announces, “South Indian Cuisine wraps up today, be sure and stop by for your dosa. Also, expense reports are due tomorrow. Have a great day.”

It would be a great place to live (and work from home, obv.)

@espressojim are rose homemade tortillas? If so, any tips?

Store bought, heated up by me with an open flame.

Damn, I was completely fooled. They look delicious.

My first effort at canning was a success! To be honest the process is really simple. Cleanliness and sterilization are key. I purchased a canning tool kit

The tools are so you dont have to handle the jars and contaminate them. You keep them in hot water until use, fill them with the salsa, leaving a 1/2 inch space. Then you use the magnetic lid placer to place the lid, place the lid ring on and finger tighten it. Then you simply place the jar into boiling water and let it boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Set them on a towel to cool and check the lid to see if it vacuum sealed after they have cooled a bit. Pretty simple process really.

This article from Serious Eats gives you the run down on the process far better than I can. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-can-canning-pickling-preserving-ball-jars-materials-siphoning-recipes.html

here’s the finished product:

Are the interior of the jars wet when you fill them? I suppose that doesn’t matter if they’re boiling.

Well played, sir. Nice job.

Did a little more Indian cheffery tonight to make sure my gf had options she enjoys :)

First up, for lunch today, another mysore masala dosa, with a little in-action shot :)

For the gf, butter paneer with spiced rice and a from-the-freezer garlic naan :)

For me, some of that butter paneer, plus a little of my dal tadka over that same spiced rice :)

And for dessert, gajar ka halwa: shredded carrots and whole milk + sweetened condensed milk cooked down to a thick, sweet consistency, topped with butter-toasted almonds, cashews, pistachios, and golden raisins :)

Potstickers night! Nothing fancy, but it looked good on the plate :)

I’d hit it

Would smash! :)

BUT THE CARBS D:

That’s my sad trombone reaction to many posts here. I too remember pasta. I used to make giant sheets of pasta. Lasagna 4 inches tall, tagliatelle to die for, ravioli with mushrooms carmelized onions and bacon. Sheet pans of mac and cheese to feed armies.

But her carbs. Rest In Peace homemade squid ink pasta, we had a good thing once.

Nothing wrong with treating yourself from time to time. In fact, I think it’s a good thing, not only for mental health, but to give the body a bit of a jolt and help keep metabolism from slowing down.

Pro tip: cook just enough for one meal or invite friends over and make sure you don’t have leftovers,

Diets are hard.

Salad: Spring mix, broccoli florets, crumbled bacon, couple of avocado slices, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing

Deviled eggs: Mayo, dill relish, chives from my window sill, season salt, dijon mustard

Wrap: Low carb wheat wrap, avocado slices, bacon strips, spring mix, chicken salad (mayo, sour cream, cubed chicken breast seasoned with salt/pepper/garlic powder/cajun seasoning)

Not a bad dinner :D

Pizza on the grill. Or at least on the grill’s pizza stone. The one on the right is for our veggie-hating daughter.

Bok choy with glazed shiitake mushrooms.

Oh damn, I’m in love