Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Actually sounds great. Would you use butter when pan browning the bread. Like maybe with a bit of peanut oil to avoid smoke and burning?

In the pan, yeah a little extra fat of some sort. Usually butter. But if it’s going in the toaster I don’t butter it up

So I’ve asked this before but never got an answer. Am I allowed to post salads in the cooking thread? Because it doesn’t technically involve cooking anything a lot of the time :P

Still not hating this diet. Not one bit :)

Antipasto salad!

From left to right, kalamata olives, soppressata salami, provolone, roasted red peppers, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, castelvetrano olives, grape tomatoes

Ehhhh why not shave a little parmesan on top there? :D

Topped with a home made creamy italian dressing

This was really good!

That looks awesome to me.

I stopped following this thread because it was torture looking at the pictures while here in Nigeria with no real access to good ingredients. HOWEVER, I’m back stateside soon and after a lot of googling I’ve decided I’m going to try smoke viding a brisket when I get back. My plan is to smoke until the stall, then sous vide through the stall, then back to the smoker to firm up the bark and finish the cook. I’ll then use the juice from the vide bag to make a brisket French dip. Expect pictures some time in August.

But Nigeria has some pretty awesome food, doesn’t it?

Salad, my ass! Slap that on a bun and you have a really sweet Italian sub!

I’m at my father in law’s house for the weekend, as he just got out of the hospital a few days ago, and he needs a bit of TLC. Last night while we were talking, he said to me “Hey jimmy, do you remember those big meatballs you used to make?”

Challenge…accepted. Hope people don’t mind if I put a few pics up of in progress work…aside from the cooking itself, it’s really slow around here and I’ve very little to do.

So…turkey meatballs…it begins. After combining ground turkey, sausage, prosciutto, breadcrumbs, and cheese together, they get browned on all sides. The small ones below are golf ball sized. The largest is a little bigger than a softball.

Then they are Immersed in a simple red sauce flavored with thyme and baked for a while…but I have bigger plans for these hunks of love.

When he mentioned meatballs, it brought me back to childhood and amazing meatball subs I had as a kid. So, add some bread and mozzarella, and a side of broccoli with cheese, and you’re in nostalgia heaven.

Sometimes even simple food is magic.

Low carb diet = no bun :)

Yeah, Im with ya on that one. Im cutting back myself. My little joke was a paraphrasing of what a friend told me the other day when I had a salad with chicken, bacon, cheddar, tomatoes, lettuce and some lite ranch dressing. He said, “Hey stupid, thats an awesome Chicken BLT you got there but you forgot the frikkin bread!”

Nope. they have good chicken and seafood locally but the beef is a tragedy.

Those are very much like Italian meatballs. In Italy nobody serves spaghetti and meatballs. They are either eaten by themselves as a course or in a soup or stew. The large ones are polpette. The little soup ones are polpettini. And don’t think that meatballs in Italy are all beef. They are beef, veal, chicken and fish. Pretty much any kind of protein. Nicely done.

My father in law’s grandparents were first generation from Italy, and didn’t speak any English. His grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and cousins all lived in a single building where the interior doors were always open, like one big communal living space.

You gotta get this stuff right, as its pure nostalgia if you do. “These are just like my aunt Millie’s!” Is the highest compliment.

Then I withdraw the ‘like’. They are Italian meatballs.

Ok, stupid discourse. Accidentally posted in the wrong thread, so I copy and pasted into this one and now it’s bitching that I already posted it, even after I completely rewrote the previous thread.

Tried to make pizza using my stone and gas grill. Noooope. I was thinking it would be close to perfect since it gets up to 700F but the issue is once you open it all the heat is gone and it won’t build up again before it burns the pizza bottom. Which, thanks to the stone, is ripping hot.

So no more grill adventures. The oven works pretty well, it gets to 550, but it overcooks the moz before the crust, resulting in greasy, yellow cheese.

Trying not to think about those new pizza ovens that are out on the market.

A lot of chefs put the pizza directly on the grill rack. I have never made it that way. So YMMV.

That may help it from burning if you kept it off direct heat, I don’t think my grill could keep it hotter than my oven with only one burner running.

And then you have to deal with the whole difficulty of a rack vs flat surface for a very floppy pizza. I have gotten pretty good at sliding them off a peel, to the point I get circular pizzas now, but the rack would be a whole other level.

While I understand what you say, brick ovens fired by hardwood can actually get up to about 1000 degrees F. The direct heat from charcoal can be that hot. The heat from a gas grill is about 600 with all burners on high. Burning won’t be an issue because pizza dough is wet. You grill it on one side for a bit. Then you can use a peel to flip it. Then top it. Not a lot of any topping, especially sauce. Cover and let it go for <$time>. Like I said, this is purely from watching Bobby Flay and Mario Batali on TV. They make it look easy. :)

Monterey Jack, Swiss cheese and bacon quiche. Convection baked. Love the new stove.

Seriously, convection is amazing. In my old oven the quiche would be done but have no color on top. So I’d use the broiler and watch carefully lest I over cook it. These were in a 350 F oven. Then when I hit the convection button the oven dropped the temp by 25 degrees. One 55 minute bake and perfect.

That’s… an odd way of doing it. I make really thin, neopolitan style pizza, see modernist cuisine for the recipes I use. This is a very thin pizza, I suppose I could try and uh flip it then sauce it but that just has to end up different. Probably still good but not the same.

So the whole issue with extreme heat and pizza is it works best if the heat is all around it. All of the heat on top and the sides just disappears as soon as you crack the top on my genesis weber. Except for the pizza stone of course, which excels at preserving that heat and burning the bottom way before the top cooks.

Every commercial coal oven I have seen has a pretty short height, to keep the heat reflecting down on the pizza. So that 1000 degrees hits the top and bottom, if not equally, at least not so far off.