Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

The searzal’s final effect isn’t so much better than using other methods… but it’s infinitely easier.

I mean, let’s get real. I’m not going to start a freaking fire just to finish a steak.

And the issue with searing on my cast iron, was that it made my kitchen smokey.

The searzal requires no prep, and creates little smoke.

Yep, that’s on my shopping list too. I don’t remember where I found in but this Heat Shrink torch is supposed to be awesome.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00834RCLU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_44?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I don’t think that’s the torch you want.

This is what you want.
https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS8000-Intensity-Trigger-Start/dp/B0019CQL60/ref=pd_sim_79_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0019CQL60&pd_rd_r=E9S30CDQC77KP7ED7R53&pd_rd_w=GDxzZ&pd_rd_wg=8dnqW&psc=1&refRID=E9S30CDQC77KP7ED7R53

It’s higher intensity. Also, the one you linked has a wider head, which won’t actually fit into the searzal. If you were going to use it without the searzal, then it might be better… but you’d end up having a propane taste on the meat.

The one I linked I think was supposed to be the same as the Sansaire Searing Kit but without the brandname (cheaper). I think it’s a different approach than the Searzall, I think it has a larger flame head but I’ve not used either so have no practical experience with them.

Well, for anyone going with the searzal, get the one I linked there… Do not get the weaker TS4000, as it won’t put out as much heat, and if you’re going to invest in the searzal, you midaswell get the high powered torch for it, since it’s basically the same price.

It’s a nice torch though, for other stuff too.

I wanted a torch after camping with a buddy who had one. It is awesome in that regard, as a cooking device, fire starter, etc. Wet wood? No problem. Need the fire going ASAP? No problem. As someone that carries a number of fire starter types into the woods along with dry material in baggies … I kind of stood dumbfounded after seeing it. I struggled 30 minutes in the rain trying to restart a fire one morning during a camping trip. My buddy came out, saw me struggling then dug out his torch and in a couple of minutes, we had a fire strong enough to handle the drizzle that we had.

He’s also used his to braze a metal cart he was building at his house.

Jeeze, anyone who watches good eats knows that. Adam Savage merely replicates Alton Brown from 15 years ago (yup, 2002, and he probably copied someone else.)

Recipe here:

That’s what the CHEESE is for, yo.

Sorry I am not seerin and sous vidin’, y’all :)

Hot Italian on a big crusty multigrain loaf today: EVOO, red wine vinegar, mayo, brown mustard, black pepper at the base, then lettuce, sliced white onions, tomatoes, pepperocini, and black olives. . . then pepperoni, capacola ham, prosciutto, salami and provolone cheese.

Plus some sun chips.

Tasty lunch :)

Looks good Armando, but…too much bread.

I’m probably a bit weird in that I don’t love super meaty sandwiches or sandwich adjacent things. I’ll take a skinny hot dog over a plump brat any day of the weak, prefer thin burgers, and generally don’t stack much meat on my Italian subs.

All that said, I was trying to stretch a couple of very expensive packages of fancy lunchmeats over too many sandwiches this last week, so that one was a little sadder than normal :)

Today’s lunch:

Spicy Chicken Basil Fried Rice: sliced chicken breast quick-sauteed with some sriracha for zing, cleaned pan, then, one by one, and very quickly into hot hot hot oil: minced garlic and shallots, minced Thai chilies, sliced onions, sliced carrots, sliced red bell peppers, whole snap peas, the cooked chicken, a bunch of Jasmine rice, a Thai stir fry sauce (3:2:1:1 ratio of oyster sauce to fish sauce to soy sauce to sugar), Thai basil, sliced garlic chives, and sliced green onions. Stired well, opened up a well in the middle, and scrambled an egg into that, then the whole mixture. Topped with crumbled roasted peanuts and chopped cilantro :)

I made cauliflower mac and cheese and it’s pretty awesome. Little bit of dijon mustard in there to add a little something and it’s quite good! This is going into the low carb recipe rotation for sure.

That looks good. Just cauliflower with some kind of cheese sauce?

Heavy cream + cream cheese + cheddar + turmeric + garlic powder + salt + dijon all simmered together and then the cooked cauliflower gets tossed in at the end. I also saved some of the cheddar for last so it kinda has some of that melty cheese stuff going on :D

YUM!!! I would not want to be lactose intolerant and eat that though lol.

The cheddar you used, what form was it? Packaged shredded cheese, a shredded block, slices?

I got store brand shredded cheddar. Didn’t feel like grating a whole block of it by hand tonight. Should be the same either way though if you’re just melting it down!

That looks fantastic and sooooo cheesy! When I was on low carb I think we made the equivalent of cheeseburger macaroni but with cauliflower as the noodle addition. So damned good.

I also remember having potato cravings so bad that I bought a rutabaga and diced and fried it to give some sort of a french fry-like taste. So-so, but I’m sure it was my method that held it back. The taste is good, but not quite potato like.

That looks amazing. Gotta give it a try soon.

Made my first fathead pizza tonight. The dough is made from mozzarella, cream cheese and coconut flour. I know this sounds impossible to believe but it’s almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Maybe even a little better actually because it has a little bit of a cheesy taste to it along with the crunchy/flaky bread thing going on.

Topped it with pepperoni, mushrooms, chorizo, bacon, kalamata olives, mozzarella and parmesean.

Have I mentioned that this diet is pretty awesome? :D