Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Huh… I’d like to see the recipe for that if you have it. I’m curious about that dough,

Thanks for that! Ive been craving pizza but avoiding it lately because I do not need the carbs. I am going to give this a try!

I swear it’s like magic. One minute I had a bowl of cheese and flour, the next I had a ball of dough, and the next I had a golden brown pizza crust. Whoever figured this out is a genius :D

We’re on to you.

I cooked a round eye roast, sous vide.
132 degrees for 4 hours.

Turned out pretty perfect.

Worked really good for this cheap cut of meat. The whole roast was only maybe 9 bucks.

I’m surprised you were able to get away with just 4 hours. I’ve shied away from roasts so far because - well, just because I haven’t had the nerve to let anything go for 24 - 36 hours. And I thought that was normal for roasts.

I’ve done bacon for 8 hours, but anything longer I’d need to do something to slow down evaporation.

The fact that it comes out at 132 exactly means that it doesn’t go into the part where it gets tough, and then needs to break down like with a pot roast or something.

It turned out really well. Probably would have been fine at 2 hours.

Im curious why you are afraid to run 24 hour plus cooking times with a sous vide. I’ve done several things, including roasts and racks of ribs that long and have had no issues at all. Ribs, in particular come out fantastic that way. As far as evaporation, plastic wrap works great, if you have no other options, you have very little loss of water that way as it will condense on the film and drip back into the pot. Myself, I cut up a cheap plastic food mat, I got from the dollar store and use that as a cover, it works great.

Tonight was a garden special. Grilled chicken, not from the garden, but the green beans and sautéed beet greens were.

Never made beer greena, but figured they had to be edible the same way collared were. So a little olive oil, minced garlic (from the garden), onion, salt, crushed red pepper, apple cider vinegar, and a dash of sugar. They were quite tasty.

It’s more the combination of little activation energies that add up. We don’t do roasts, so just figuring out what to buy and try is the first hurdle. Lack of a vacuum sealer is the 2nd - zip-lock bags are fine for a couple of hours but web sites imply that a properly sealed bag is more important for 48 hours. Yeah - I’m pathetic…

Makes sense. I would agree that having a vacuum sealer is pretty important for those long cooking sessions. As far as roasts. I like roast beef sandwiches but deli roast beef is usually around $9 a lb or more. I can get a decent chuck or round roast on sale for around $4 a lb and make my own. I never had much luck with cooking a roast for sandwiches in a traditional manner. If you don’t cook it enough its too tough, over cook it and it falls apart. With sous vide it takes all the guesswork out of it. Since I have a decent set of knives that I keep sharpened I can slice it really thin like they do in a deli. Ive been happy with every roast Ive cooked sous vide.

Beer greens sounds awesome to me.

Hahaha, man typing on the phone. It’ll get you every time.

Actually, not joking this time, I’ve never had beet greens. Any good?

Honestly? Yeah. My wife even liked them. She tends to shy away from the more esoteric veggies and greens I make on occasion, but she took a second helping. You can do them any way you want, but you need some kind of fat, some kind of acid, and some salt. Seasonings to preference. Other recipes used lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar for the acid.

But it compares pretty closely to collard greens, which I do like as well. But the sautee with onions in olive oil sounded ideal yesterday. That they were fresh out of the garden that morning was nice too. Will be doing a bunch more, as I’ve got about 15 beets nearing harvest.

Sounds good to me. I’m from the South, collard greens are kind of a soul food staple down here. My problem is that I’ve had both excellent and very bad cooked collard greens. Never having made them though, I’m not sure how they are prepared in a good way.

I may dip my toe into trying some.

Collards are a ton of fun. Craig’s advice of “fat, acid, and salt” is a solid base. I’d add that some red pepper flakes or a few shakes of Crystal hot sauce into the mix is a big improvement, as well. Fancier stuff like bacon, onions, etc., can also be awesome, but you don’t need much more than the above to get great collards.

Yes they are good. I’ve sauteed them in olive oil with garlic and without the addition of any acid and they taste perfectly fine to me,

Were I making them solely for myself this would totally be on the list. Alas my wife can not abide spicy. I’ve been ‘training’ her by increasing over time, but we are still at ‘two jalapenos mixed into a two cucumber salad’ level. i.e. barely present. Medium salsa is like torture for her.