Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

You guys are making me super sad that my gf generally really dislikes chorizo and similar sausage-y things :(

Breakfast today (and the rest of the week):

Everything bagels with fried egg, cheddar cheese, thick-sliced bacon, sauteed onions and bell peppers, and my own blend of mayonnaise, Sriracha, soy sauce, sugar, and garlic powder.

Yeah, they’re storebought and not @stusser’s fancy fuckin’ New Yahk bagels fresh from Central Park’s legendary Bagel District or whatever, but goddamn if that’s not satisfying.

Is that six fried eggs?

For six bagels! The rest of the bacon was offscreen on a baking rack (ditto for the remaining bagels actually…).

You broke the yolks on purpose? Infidel.

Agreed. A good yoke is something that just seems to be beyond some people’s comprehension.

I prefer my eggs fried over hard because I am a wicked sinner undeserving of life. I break the yolks to give the eggs a pretty (to me) marbled texture, like the guys at Eggslut!

I watched that munchie’s video too, that’s their off-menu egg cookery technique, because the owner prefers it that way. He may be an egg maestro but he’s wrong about this, which is why all the eggs on his actual menu are cooked medium, coddled, or scrambled soft.

My GF gets mad if I don’t break the yolks and cook them like you do for breakfast sandwiches or on other foods. But she enjoys over-medium eggs when they are by themselves. I don’t even …

Her: “I don’t like runny stuff on other things!”
Me: “Could have fooled me. Hehehehehehehe.”

Something I made a few days ago that was super easy and quite tasty (mine lacks grill marks, because damn I was lazy.)

@espressojim that looks gorgeous. Would love to share in that with you :-D

Tonight was a twofold preparation:

Arroz con Gandules and Pastelitos con Guayaba y Queso!

The AcG is a similar base to yesterday–onion, peppers, garlic, sofrito, and tomato, with the addition of some crispy bacon–with olives/capers, oregano, Sazon, Adobo, and bay leaves added for flavor. Then in goes a can of green pigeon peas cuz Armando’s too lazy to boil 'em from scratch, plus two cups of medium grain rice and 3 of water. Boil, simmer, cover, wait 20 minutes, and devour :-D

The pastelitos were the very picture of simplicity: roll out some puff pastry, cut into as many pieces as you feel like, and cover each square with a stripe of guava paste (or jam, in my case) and a stripe of cream cheese. Brush lightly with eggwash, fold over into triangles, press to seal, spread with more eggwash, and cut a little strip for ventilation. Bake at 350F for 20-25m, cool, then sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar and, um, devour.

Pastelitos!!!

Am I confused, or is there a hybrid savory / sweet version of that? Where you have powdered sugar, and also have some savory ground up meat in the middle?

When I was in Puerto Rico (damn, what a great place to visit), we had Mallorcas a lot - you could get them stuffed with savory stuff and pretend there wasn’t tons of sugar on top.

North Africans do that, like Moroccan pigeon pie, savory inside with game and raisins, flakey crust, sugar on top. Also Chinese baked (not steamed) roast pork buns; often both the char siu filling and the crust are sweet. Don’t know if it’s a Latino thing.

I will admit, I’m not well-versed enough yet to know, but my guess is they may well have imported the African tradition @stusser mentions, or something like it. I think I talked a little above about how they seem to be down with sweet-savory mixtures, tossing semi-sweet plantains on top of ground meet in pastellon, for instance.

@espressojim, no lie, that picture looks fantastic. Thanks for the link as well.

And Armando, you have a way of making me hungry for things I’ve never even eaten.

If you have any puff pastry, consider a savory tart with a veggie and cheese?

That may well be on the menu sometime soon; I still have a full sheet of the pastry left over in the freezer.

Tonight will be a big pernil, a roasted, skin-on, bone-in pork shoulder. It’s currently marinating in a heady bath of garlic, oregano, cumin, pepper, salt, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil, repeatedly stabbed to ensure maximum penetration. I also tried to slice the skin cap off 90% of the way to let me marinated underneath and also to promote maximum crispiness, but sadly only made it about 2/3 of the way back before the thick fat, skin, and gristle halted my knifery. . .

Not that I’m a Rachel Ray fan, but something like this:

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/cheesy-vegetable-tart

So basically a sauceless vegetable pizza. Looks tasty.

Try using sour oranges (or a mix of orange and lemon) in the pernil next time, gives it a carnitas-like flavor.

Puff pastry pizzas are actually Alsatian. Usually topped with gruyere, caramelized onions, and bacon.

To the best of my abilities, I’ve tried to follow the guidance of my PR buddies this time around (except where I betrayed them an added MSG-laden Sazon to my shit, of course).

I definitely want to experiment with the pernil marinade going forward, though, and the oranges thing sounds amazing. However, since I’m working with a 9lb shoulder here, it’s gonna be a long wait ;-)

Nothing wrong with that.