Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Yes, popcorn is awesome.

I may have mentioned it previously, but this thing is amazing:
https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B00004W4UP

8 bucks, the thing makes perfect microwave popcorn. You can add oil as well while popping if that’s your thing.

A whirlypop gives more flavor to the popcorn itself I think, but the nordicware popper makes a bowl in 2 minutes (in my microwave).

For $8 you can’t really go wrong.

Isn’t that just a microwaveable bowl with a lid?

I use this, which makes the base popcorn flavor ridiculously awesome. It also makes any other topping easier to add, as the popcorn is more moist, not dry. I know this is a huge quantity, you can find smaller versions. But I make tons of batches and go through this kind of volume. At any event we have I’m know as the person who brings a big tub of popcorn, sometimes multiple flavors as well. I think I enjoy making it more than eating it sometimes.

Popping oil:
https://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn-Gallon-Colored-Coconut/dp/B003C4UDEY

And if you want to go all, “movie theatre popcorn experience,” these are add-ins:
The “butter topping.”
The salt.

Is whirley-pop actually better than just stovetop? I’ve made stovetop popcorn in a pot for years, and it never has failed me. Just a bit of oil, shake it for two minutes, add some Lawry’s Seasoned Salt (the best use for it fyi!) when you’re done. The main difference is the quality of the kernels used.

Not really any better, per-se. It’s just easier, but it is a dedicated kitchen item, which takes space. You twirl a crank, which is 100% easier than lifting and shaking some of the heavy pots I have.

They are often on sale on Amazon for as little as $20. At that price it is a great deal.

Strictly speaking the Tikka Masala recipe would fit pretty well into a keto-style diet, esp. with cauliflower rice! The pakoras even aren’t too bad because the flour used is ground up chickpeas, so it’s got a decent amount of protein and fiber mixed in with the carbs.

Chicken Tikka Recipe

Marinade

• 1 1/2 lbs Chicken (Breast or Thigh), chopped into large chunks
  • 3/4 cup Full-Fat, Plain Yogurt
  • 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
  • 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (or ~2 tsp each minced Garlic and Ginger)
  • Juice of 1 Lime
  • 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 1 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp Red Chili Powder (or Cayenne)
  • 1 tbsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Cumin Powder
  • 2 tsp Coriander Powder

Curry

• 2-3 tbsp Vegetable Oil or Butter
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 2 medium Yellow Onions, diced
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (or ~1 tbsp each minced Garlic and Ginger)
  • 1 - 2 Green Chilies, minced (I use Jwallas, but Jalapeno or Serrano works, depending on heat preference)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp Red Chili Powder (or Cayenne)
  • 1 tsp Cumin Powder
  • 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
  • 1 28 oz can San Marzano Tomatoes (or Plum Tomatoes, or Crushed Tomatoes)
  • ~1/2 cup Water
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cups Heavy Cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped

Mix together all ingredients for the marinade and let the chicken sit for at least an hour, up to 5-6. Ideally, grill the chicken, but you can also roast it under the broiler of your oven (heat oven to max temp, then switch to broil and put the chicken in on a roasting tray (I thread it on skewers running across a cookie sheet so that it’s lifted up off the pan a little). Chicken breast probably needs about 5m; you can do the thighs closer to 10, turning halfway. Remove from the oven/grill and reserve.

In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat your oil or butter over medium heat. Add in the cumin seeds and let them sputter away for about 15 seconds before adding in the onions. Cook about 8-10 minutes until just taking on some golden color, then add in the ginger and garlic paste. Cook that a minute or two, stirring more frequently, then add in the chilies and cook another minute or so, continuing to stir. Mix in the spices and seasonings (salt, chili, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander) and let it cook for about 30 seconds before adding in the tomatoes. If using the whole peeled plum tomatoes, break em up with a spatula and cook about 10-12 minutes until the mixture’s darkening and thickened a little.

For super smooth curry, use an immersion blender and about 1/2 cup of water to blend it smooth. Then, add in the chicken pieces and cook at a simmer for about 5-10 minutes to be sure they’re cooked all the way through. Add in the heavy cream (and a little butter if you want), garam masala, and cilantro. Mix well, taste for seasoning, and serve over (cauliflower) rice :-D

Thanks! I found Hari Ghotra’s video on them to be super useful to my technique

@CLWheeljack that flat iron looks fucking gorgeous, dude. I want to eat that so bad!

I was going to beg for your wisdom, but then the discussion went crazy while I was typing up my CTM recipe and I see that you’ve already shared plenty! Thanks in particular for the O’Dell’s Supur-Kist topping; that’s what my gf feels my popcorn’s been lacking at home! I already use the flavacol and love it. . .

I use one of these, or an older version anyway.

Stirs itself, and you can just flip the lid over when you’re done and use it as the bowl.

It is pretty close in flavor to this one as well, so when it comes time to stock up I buy the cheapest of the two (comparing price by volume.) For sure though, Super-Kist is the most recommended, as the industrial sized version actually IS used in theatres.

Yeah, my issue’s primarily that I don’t really have kitchen space for another couple of gallon-sized containers, much less a reliable way to heat and pump/drizzle the stuff (unless my little nozzle-bottles are microwavable?), however much my girlfriend fiends for movie theater style popcorn. . .

That’s exactly what it is, although the lid is kind of vented on the sides so that it keeps most of the steam in there, while not having it blow off.

Like I said though, it makes perfect popcorn every time, with essentially zero effort. Also, unlike a lot of microwave poppers, it doesn’t use any kind of disposable heat focuser or anything… so there’s nothing to replace.

The best thing this competes against, is an air popper. The popcorn will be identical, but it’ll take a fraction of the time.

I use a pump, I think the very one Amazon links to either product as a recommended add-on. Those do take up space, but they all keep very well and the lids seal well. So you can put some of the product into smaller containers, then store the rest. The pumps are roughly 2 tbls dispensed. An oil based topping is KEY if you are going to make any kind of flavored popcorn.

Some extra recipes:
Kettle Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, 1/3 cup white sugar. Add in the sugar and the popcorn at the same time, stir CONTSTANTLY. Take off heat before popping stops. Sift out the non-popped kernels. Clean the popper before reuse.
Cheddar Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, two “pumps” topping oil, 2 shakes, roughly 2-3 tbls of cheddar powder, sometimes salt
Crack Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, two “pumps” topping oil, 2 shakes of cheddar, 2 shakes of jalapeno powder
Garlic Parm Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, one “pump” topping oil, garlic powder, 2 shakes of grated Parmesan
Nothing But Hot Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, one “pump” topping oil, 2 shakes of habanero powder, 2 shakes of jalapeno powder, a small amount of cheddar powder
Bacon Cheddar Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, two “pumps” topping oil, 2 shakes of cheddar, bacon salt or bacon bits
Sour Cream and Chive Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, one “pump” topping oil, 2 shakes sour cream and chive powder
Truffles and Parm Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, one “pump” topping oil or truffle oil, truffle salt, 2 shakes of grated Parmesan
Buffalo Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tlbs coconut oil, two “pumps” topping oil, 2 shakes of buffalo powder
Taco Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, one “pump” topping oil, shake of cheddar, shake of taco seasoning
Caramel Corn = I use a published recipe for this, it also takes a while but you can vary the consistency based on how long you bake it as the final step. Shorter times for chewier caramel, longer times for crisper caramel.
Curry Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, one “pump” topping oil, two shakes of curry powder, one shake of garam masala powder, a small amount of grated parmesan
Salt and Vinegar Corn = 1/4 cup corn, 2 tbls coconut oil, one “pump” topping oil, salt and vinegar powder

The bowl is very thick so it heats evenly, and the lid has vents so your popcorn doesn’t come out chewy. I bought that microwave popper years ago on his suggestion and have used it ever since.

Those post is more beautiful than the morning sun.

I could rattle off more but I don’t feel like the others are as dialed in, yet. My most requested is Crack Corn, cheddar and heat are a great combo. My least favorite to make is kettle corn, that shit is notoriously difficult to get the timing down on and you’ll burn/scorch a lot of batches unless you make it a lot. My least favorite time of year is Super Bowl Sunday, as I commit to making popcorn for a local bar and football fans can destroy some popcorn.

I bought one independently some years before coming to this place and I can also vouch for it. It does what it says it does, makes great popcorn super quick and easily.

I usually make my popcorn with olive oil, that yellow chemical product that comes in a milk carton from amazon, black pepper, and a bit of thyme. I have the Hoosier Hill cheddar powder and sometimes sprinkle that on.

The jalapeno powder is interesting. Have you tried chipotle instead, to add a bit of smoke? Was thinking of getting this.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Chipotle-Plastic/dp/B00D4TEE9C/

Actually what I’d really like is powdered chipotles in adobo, so you get the heat, smokiness, and tomato flavor.

I feel like you kinda buried the lede here, that you’re basically a semi-pro popcorn maker.

I have not but will. I have used other smoked products that were similar. It’s a toss up, as even though I LOVE the smoke flavor, for some reason it really puts a lot of people off, so you have to go really light with it on popcorn.

If I could make powder, chipotles in adobo would definitely be on the list. I have powdered tomato though, so I’ll pick up that Chipotle and give it a shot.

I think I can still apply to amateur events though until they actually pay me, right? I don’t know the rules for that. :) The bar owner is a personal friend, he barters with me for free beer. Technically a payment, but it’s off the books.

?!?!?