Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

It’s good as a substitute for oatmeal with maple syrup, almonds and dried fruit like apricots or cranberries.

Tea towel? Or you could use pantyhose or trouser socks.

What the hell are trouser socks? I don’t know what a tea towel is either, I just cut and pasted the recipe from Alton Brown. I just used a standard floursack cloth kitchen towel.

I like the idea about greek yogurt though, thanks. I’ll have to find that somewhere.

Another good oatmeal replacement is Amaranth seeds. The texture is a bit grainy but it’s good with some raisins, walnuts and maple syrup.

Made Alton’s Leek & Potato soup after seeing it raved about in the CSA veggies thread. Had to sub out the buttermilk with whole milk, but otherwise, I was able to follow him pretty carefully.

It really is pretty fucking tasty, but I preferred it hot.

That said, this semester’s been pretty tasty:

Chicken Vindaloo w/ Potatoes
Red Beans & Rice w/ Andouille Sausage
Beef Stew w/ Potatoes and Carrots
Chicken Salad w/ Sultanas, Carrots, Red Onions, Celery, and Sunflower Seeds
Beef & Beans Chili w/ Chipotles and Pickled Jalepenos
Leek & Potato Soup w/ Heavy Cream

Tossed together a quick loaf of Pumpkin Bread, but my loaf pan was slightly too small, so it ended up falling after it had climbed up a couple of inches, so the top ended up very soggy after a day or two. Since no one helped me eat it (living alone, essentially, since my roommate and I don’t talk), it went bad though :(

Also making some simple wheat pancakes w/ chocolate chips on a regular basis, and perfecting a simple cheesy grits recipe :)

God I love having a kitchen!

Here’s my bourgeois Mac N’ Cheese recipe (adapted from an epicurious recipe) This recipe costs about $15 to make, getting all ingredients from Trader Joes.

3 tablespoons butter plus more for baking dish
3 cups sliced large shallots (I use two bags of shallots from Trader Joes)
8 ounces small elbow macaroni (Trader Joes doesn’t carry macaroni noodles, wtf is up with that? I use their farfalle or rotini)
1 1/4 cups half and half
2 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Crystal)
2 cups (packed) coarsely grated cheddar cheese (I just grab the bag of pre-shredded semi sharp cheese)
1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2/3 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (again, I just grab the pre-crumbled stuff from Trader Joes)
5 strips bacon

Pre-heat the oven to 400*, and caramelize the shallots in butter while the pasta is cooking as per the instructions on the bag of pasta. Butter a glass baking dish too. After the shallots are caramelized, put those in a small bowl.

Drain the pasta and reserve it in another bowl. Start crisping the bacon in the same pan that you caramelized the shallots. Pour the half and half and the hot sauce in the same pan that you boiled the pasta in. You want to get the half and half to the point where it is thisclose to simmering/boiling. While you are waiting on those things, toss the flour into the bag of cheddar cheese and shake it around, and crumble the crisped bacon. When the hot sauce/half and half mixture is thisclose to simmering/boiling, toss in the cheddar cheese and flour mixture. After the cheddar cheese has completely melted and the sauce is semi-smooth, add the previously reserved pasta. Stir until it is well-mixed, and pour it into the buttered baking dish.

Sprinkle the goat cheese, shallots, and bacon over the pasta. Toss it in the oven for 15 minutes, to heat everything through. Voila.

It sounds really involved, but I promise, this stuff is easy. And SO GOOD.

My recipes do not use lonely numbers like “1”.

I watched the meatball episode of Bobby Flay’s Throwdown recently and that gave me a real hankering for meatballs. We had a bunch of ground beef in the fridge last week so Thursday I made up a batch. I realized while making them that depite my considerable cooking experience I’d never made a real effort at meatballs.

I ended up mirroring my recipe on the one by the guy Bobby challenged. I used 4 eggs and about a cup of fresh bread crumbs to about 1.5 lbs of ground beef. To that I added a palmful of dried basil, same amount of dried parsley, about half as much “Italian seasonings”, black pepper and kosher salt and 3 cloves of garlic minced. I forgot to add cheese the first time I portioned the mixture out in to balls, but I remembered before cooking them and mixed in half a cup of shredded pecorino romano. I made each ball a little bigger than a golf ball and baked them in the over at 350 for about 35 minutes.

For the sauce I sauted 1 onion chopped fine in olive oil with 3 cloves of minced garlic and seasoned with a pinch of salt and a few turns of fresh ground black pepper. We have these cans of tomatoes stewed with basil and oregano. I poured four of those into the pan with the onions and added a big spoonful of tomato paste. I seasoned it up with some italian seasoning, kosher salt and a bit of brown sugar. I also used a stick blender to break down some of the biger tomatoe chunks. The sauce reduced until the meatballs came out of the over.

I transfered all the meatballs into the sauce and covered to let them get all up in that while I started some water and cooked the noodles. The time it took for the pot to boil and the pasta to cook was just long enough for the flavors to come together. That night I ate them with spaghetti, topped with some more grated romano. It was very good.

I had a ton left over so the last few days I’ve been having meatball subs. I’d toast up a roll in the oven on broil, heat up the meatballs and sauce in the microwave and then assemble with a couple slices of provolone. Stick the whole thing back under the broiler for the cheese to melt and brown and you have perfection!

Sadly, I am now out of leftover meatballs.

Add to taste :p

I also made soup.
I chopped up some garlic, ginger and spring onions, and sauteed them for a couple of minutes with a few pieces of broccoli. Added some chicken stock and let it simmer for a bit. Seasoned the broth with salt, black pepper, worcester sauce and dried thyme.

Roasted broccoli (take bag frozen broccoli, toss with olive oil, sprinkle sea or kosher salt, put on baking sheet, oven at 400 for 30 minutes). Amazingly tasty and easy.

Did a bunch of filets using a whole loin from costco. Great bargain, tastes awesome, but having to trim off the silverskin yourself sucks.

Hmm, that’s a good idea, I’m going to try that one!

I do this with brussels sprouts (not frozen, though). So awesome.

For extra tastiness, use fresh broccoli instead of that frozen-stumps junk! :) This is basically a great way to roast any vegetables… cauliflower, zucchini, sweet potato, etc. all go great like this, and with most of them you can add a bit more flavor by tossing on some grated parm near the end.

I never thought to roast frozen vegetables at all. I always keep some in my freezer because they’re pretty versatile and great all around, but they’re overcrowding things. This sounds like a good way to use them up. It is my favorite thing to do with fresh cauliflower.

Your recipe won’t be perfect until you add green chiles.

Be careful about doing this with cumin & chili powder. They’re very powerful and will quickly take over a dish.

Yeah, so I’m a year behind the countless other people who have done this, but I made Cat Master a (slightly belated) birthday cake tonight:

Here’s a picture with some actual light in it.

At first I thought that was a photograph of a human sacrifice taking place in some Lovecraftian cultist’s basement.

It’s in the crunchy section near the tofu and soy yogurt.

They have the lowfat version. I usually just get the Hawthorne Valley farm whole milk yogurt and drain it.