Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Does Lilly’s have any prosciutto pizzas? Could be a segue to the tasty piggy stuff.

Prosciutto is actually one of a handful of pork products she really likes (virtually all of which are cured–that, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, plus extremely thinly sliced pork cutlets that have been cooked in such a way as to disguise their porkiness), so we’re good there.

You remind me that I need to get back out to Lilly’s soon though. That place is fucking awesome.

One of the many things I miss about Raleigh.

What about latin fusion? We have one nearby that is divine. Pricey, but awesome.

http://www.verdelatin.com/

That’s all regional latin food, not what I would normally consider fusion. All looks great to me.

I’m of the same opinion as you, stusser, but related to American Chinese food. After having traveled to China on multiple trips, WTF happened to their food in America? I guess the same could be said of Italian food, Having lived there, it is nothing like most of the Italian restaurants here in the US.

Chinese-american food tends to not be very good. Greasy, gloppy, sweet sauces. Deep-fried everything. I do love chinese-american spare ribs, though.

Tex-mex and italian-american foods, on the other hand, are delicious. Only peripherally related to the authentic flavors they originated from, but worthy cuisines all their own.

Mostly, it was robbed of all of its flavor, to suit a pretty lame american palette. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn’t even possible to get things like szechuan peppercorns here for a long time.

American versions of anything tend to do that and I really have no idea why. Everything has to be low on spice and additions and higher on sugar and sweet tastes.

Tex-mex and italian-american foods aren’t bland or sweet. That really only applies to americanized asian foods which yes, tend to be terrible. Unless you’re talking like, mall chains. Sbarros probably puts sugar in their pizza dough, I wouldn’t be surprised. Taco Bell is bland and nasty. Olive Garden is tasteless and gloppy.

Yeah… although, thankfully, this is changing.

I was at a chinese place in Dayton OH a while back, and it was a pretty large place that served fairly americanized chinese food. Good, but still americanized.

But they have a “secret menu” which you can get if you specifically ask for it. I saw this on some google review of the place.

The “secret” menu has all kinds of awesome stuff that I’ve only ever seen in places in Chinatown… stuff like peppered beef tendon, and various szechuan dishes… Some really good stuff.

I used to eat Progresso soups. They were pretty good. Then they kept getting sweeter and sweeter. I finally sent them a letter complaining. I got coupons for more soup as a reply. I tossed the coupons and stopped buying their crap.

There’s a local chinese restaurant near me, that does the same. They have a main menu that has the americanized versions of their dishes and then on the back is an authentic chinese food menu. They have an authentic jalapeno beef dish that is fantastic. Way spicier than the americanized version.

The place in Dayton had a totally separate menu, and the lady gave me a weird look when I asked for it. It wasn’t something that they mentioned on the main menu at all.

It was very weird… But I’m glad I saw the review that mentioned it, because they had some cool stuff I had never seen before.

So I definitely just bought $175 worth of Korean ingredients at HMart. And have about $25 more to go at Food Lion tomorrow. But hey, that’ll cover 4 meals each for the 10-12 people coming to my buddy’s Blizzcon party, which tbh ain’t shabby. And there’ll be leftovers of stuff like the gim (roasted seaweed), gochugaru (hot pepper flakes), and dried anchovies. To go into the next time I go a little KRazy.

In any case, starting tomorrow night, my life will be cooking insanity! Watch this space for more 😀

First Post I could find relating to mutton. Would love to see someone make muttony or with the odd sounding Gigot Chops. Also, what these cost in your area would be interesting.

That looks really good (and definitely in the style of food I try to eat now.)

You mentioned you used frozen corn - how was the texture? I’ve found frozen corn cooked like this can have a little bit of a mealy texture compared to fresh corn. Did you notice anything about the corn texture? It could just be that I’m “doing it wrong”…