Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Help! I was given a smoker for my birthday. It’s electric, so I’m essentially smoking with training wheels still on.

I have no idea what a good newbie smoker recipe might be. Wings? Chicken breasts? Veggies?

You’re in North Carolina, by god! Throw a whole pig into that thing lathered up with mop sauce and DO YOUR STATELY DUTY

I hear ya, but I’m afraid of going whole hog from the start. (Puns are the gift that keeps on giving.)

I will most certainly be making smoked pork though. With as cheap as pork shoulder is around here, how could I not!

I’m just razzin ya man; I’ve never smoked anything in my life, and since I have no intention of ever owning a home isolated enough (read: with a lawn) to justify owning a smoker, I may well never do so!

Well it has wheels, so I can wheel mine out just for use. We need to get you a yard though, if for no other reason than being able to grow some herbs and vegetables for your new farm to table side catering business.

But that would involve me spending any measurable amount of time outside dude

Pork butt is very forgiving. French’s mustard, rub, smoke at 250F until it reaches 160F internally, wrap in foil, then bake until 190F. Put on martin’s potato roll with coleslaw and eat it.

A bit off topic, but I have a f-ton of smoker wood my dad gave me. I have several different woods. You have to chip it up, but if you live in the Minneapolis area and want some PM me.

I wish I did. We have some cheap options for smoker wood nearby here in NC though, thank god.

I’ve been reading non-stop on smoker recipes since yesterday. So many new things to try.

I watched him cook this on the show, and yes that’s what I do. I just topped it once it was in the single serve presentation. When I store it for later, it just goes on. I am not that fancy, but this show does have a presentation component.

I love my electric smoker.

While I do a little of everything the most common thing is some 3 pound turkey breast things that my wife buys on sale. We freeze them until I’m planning on smoking something else. Then they get thawed, covered in a wet rub (mustard, minced garlic, and various herbs normally) and smoked along with whatever else I was doing. It makes terrific sandwich meat.

Amazing ribs is indeed the correct place to go.

Also, yes, I concur with the suggestion of pork shoulder. That is the easiest and most core thing a smoker can make. It’s virtually impossible to screw up. Cook it at 225 until the internal temp is 190. It will take a long time, but with an electric smoker you don’t really need to do anything at all.

Amazing ribs is great for understanding the temperature stall, and can give you a trick for accelerating it, but if you don’t mind waiting, then just wait.

A good rub recipe is one I got from Alton Brown.
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

For a pork shoulder, you need way more… I tend to just make a huge amount of it and it stores forever in the cupboard in a big air tight container. Replace tablespoon with cup, and you’ll have tons.

After far too long without being able to cook, I finally got back to it today. I started out with an omelette for breakfast (left over pork loin, onion, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, and cheddar and feta cheese) and had toast topped with mayo, pesto and left over omelette filling.

Then dinner was garlic mushroom chicken, garlic bread, and roasted vegetables. I think I got the chicken recipe from this thread ages ago.

Overall, a pretty successful day. I really missed cooking, it’s great to get back into it.

Well done, sir.

Someone here posted something about Korean food, and it inspired me to make some Korean spicy rice cakes.
I had no idea what I was doing, as I have never cooked these before, but it worked out.

That’s awesome, man! I made tteoktteokbokki this past May, but your dish is way prettier 😀

I cooked some naan!

I used the recipe here, but cooked it on my baking steel at 500 under the broiler. Worked well.

Next tackle a garlic naan, or even a Kashmiri naan. Kashmiri naan has almonds, pomegranate, and Apple on, and in, it, and is delicious.

I broke out my ancient KitchenAid mixer which I hadn’t used in years, to make the dough. Ended up making it very easy.

The dough was really easy to work with, too.