Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Man, that sucks!

Hope these help.

Do you have a good recipe and instructions? I’d like to try ramen noodles from scratch again.

I just took a load of cranberry walnut beer bread (recipe courtesy @ArmandoPenblade) out of the oven. It’s a bit lumpier than his example loaf, but it smells amazing. It’s for an office potluck tomorrow. Hopefully I can manage to wait.

I remember reading the Ivan Ramen book that before opening his first restaurant he did the same thing. I think he said his noodles have a higher mixture of rye flour than normal which adds more body to the noodle. It was an interesting story.

Anyway, fully support your endeavor. :)

I really hope you enjoy it! And your coworkers, too, I suppose. And yeah, the dough is so thick that they can come out kinda lumpy sometimes. I try and smooth it out with a spatula sometimes, but sometimes that actually makes it worse…

Thanks! Have tried to do some DIY stuff in the past, which wasn’t that successful. Will have give it another go!

Those look awesomely cute. I, uh … I’m imagining they are not the kind they sell in Colorado though. Which are also awesome, in a different way. I can’t un-think about gummy candies in that way, now. :(

Where is over here? Flavocol comes in a way too huge container anyway. The real trick about it is that it is a super fine salt. When popcorn is popped, there is heat and humidity (and sometimes an oil) that surround it. Popping corn WITH the salt helps a ton to season it. Then you can lightly add extra if things aren’t good once done. Obviously air popped won’t work this way, but microwave/stovetop have the advantage of being able to add oil/salt prior to popping, letting the popcorn pop and season at the same time.

They help me, man. I’m always looking for new flavors.

Guess I should have specified: I’m in Germany and flavoured popcorn isn’t really a thing here. Cinema basically only sell sweet popcorn, while more indie ones offer salted as well. Thats pretty much it, no butter or cheese or… flavours.

And in the shops I can get microwave popcorn bags, but no popcorn salts for the raw kernels.

For superfine salt, can you just run salt through a blender like you do to make bar sugar?

Based on me using Flavocol, I’ve often wondered if I could just fine grind some other cooking salt. Flavocol itself is only very lightly flavored. It’s mostly just really fine salt.

I’ve never made bar sugar in comparison though.

They are not, since our state will probably get around to legalization sometime around 2030. I did, however, use the same recipe for them! I’m sure the reduction (or distillate? Infusion? Whatever you call it) affects the consistency in some way, but I wasn’t really sure how – I’m guessing it either has no effect or makes the gummies a little less firm. Probably not trying it anytime soon, but maybe one of these days. It’s a bit of a drive from here to the closest shop in Oregon.

I have no idea how you would cook with it either, but one great thing is that I’m SURE all the west coasters will have plenty of recipes to share with us sometime next millennium when the southern states decide to change.

At least I can cook well with alcohol. Speaking of, I need to pre-make my shepherds pie tomorrow and refrigerate it prior to heading out of town. I need to pick a stout to use in the pie and I don’t have any Guinness handy.

It came out pretty great. Very dense, which isn’t quite what I expected, but very tasty. I used my winter homebrew, and the brown sugar and spice in the bread was a perfect complement to the malt and spice flavors in the beer.

I even have some leftovers, which should make for great breakfasts and/or desserts the next few days.

Huzzah! Glad to hear it. It’s real dang good toasted with a little butter and jam, tbh… I was kinda sad I only had a tiny bit leftover after my work event.

There’s no reason why you couldn’t. I think I’ll probably just grind it will my mortar and pestle. I usually grind the salt that I sprinkle on the popcorn anyway, since kosher salt is too big for that.

I had never tried putting salt in with the popcorn when popping. I usually avoid adding oil during popping, as it tends to scorch a little in the microwave… But adding salt makes sense, that it might stick just from the steam. I will try it.

No real cooking here, but after I informed my family I will not be around for Christmas this year, the first thing my dad wanted to know is if he could plan something sooner would I come. Of course I said I would, but it’s not a traditional Christmas meal this year; it’s spaghetti. Instead of justifying why sweet potato pie still works and because the last couple of days ate up my cooking time and instead is going towards prepping for my trip I put together these, no real cooking.

And did I flee the hell that was the store after buying last minute stores too quickly to find mini skewers and just buy a bag of the full-size ones which I snapped. Yes, yes I did. Martha Stewart I am not.

That’s antipasto skewers right? I’d be all over those.

Yep or at least the internet tells me they are. I tried to find something the didn’t require much or any coming but it took a little too put them together. It’s not cheap either but I think he will love them.

I might do this for a game night too. We can get kind of warm carb heavy in the winter.

Cooked more Chinese food for the folks.

Per some advice online, I added a healthy amount of baking soda to the Thin Spaghetti as it boiled, then cooked it an extra minute in order to emulate Chinese noodles. I frankly found it to be fairly unpleasant–gummy and with a noticeable extra odor. An odor that wasn’t even the usual chemical sharpness of baking soda. But dad said it was really good, so it may become the new way of doing things, at least when I’m at their place.