Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Chicken and Sweet Potato Adobo

from How to Cook Everything Fast
Made for my mom and I. my plate pictured. Slightly time consuming but not very difficult. Couple cloves of garlic, a pound of peeled, cubed (or close enough) sweet potato, 8 bone-in chicken thighs (2 lbs), 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp pepper, a half cup each of soy sauce and rice vinegar, and either 2 dried chipotle peppers or one canned in adobo all go in a big pot with another 1.25 cups of water. Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or so, stirring it around a couple times while it cooks. Get the broiler going on high and the rack 4 inches from the heat, and prep a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Once the 30 minutes are up, transfer the chicken and sweet potatoes to the baking sheet with a slotted spoon and pat the chicken dry. Then broil for 3-5 minutes per side, turning once. As for the liquid, bring it to a boil and reduce down to a cup or so (5-10 minutes). Once the chicken and sweet potatoes are ready, spoon the sauce over them and serve. (remove the bay leaves and the dried chiles if you used them).

Fantastic stuff. The sweet potatoes in particular really sop up the sauce and the tang of the vinegar is a wonderful complement to their natural flavors. I would have served it with coconut rice and beans but mom is paleo so we had veggie salads from the Whole Foods hot bar.

Can you not get egg noodles where you are?

You can definitely get dried Chinese egg noodles on Amazon, FWIW. Although you gotta get a bunch.

Folks will recall I made a bunch of naan dough a while back. That, by the way, froze awesomely and thaws into great naan.

I was eating naan, and decided, “this stuff tastes a lot like good pizza dough. Let’s do this.”

So I took about 3 pieces of it and made a pizza.

Did it work?

Hellllls yes it worked.

I’m in rural Tennessee right now, so options are more limited than usual for me. They’re probably here, but since mom did all the grocery shopping while I was driving in, went with the guaranteed option.

This one is a good recipe: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1083118/how-to-make-ramen-noodles. I add about 6 grams of salt, as I don’t salt the water when boiling. I’ve only made with kansui. It’s a very dry dough, so tough to put together without a kitchen aid pasta roller, and I broke two shear shaft couplers being impatient. It’s doable with a hand-crank roller, too, as shown at start of this video.

Oh yeah, it definitely felt like breaking a rule. I think it’s because shops in Japan use the hot water for various other things: cooking bean sprouts, ladling into bowls to warm them up, etc.

Depends on how it will be treated post-boil. You don’t need to salt water for soba, for example, because the dipping sauce is salty enough as is.

Thanks. I am going to give this one a try.

I recently found some dry ramen noodles that were sold just as bundles of dry noodle and not packaged as instant noodles with soup base. Those were quite good, but pricey.

Kinda stretching the “cooking” theme of the thread, but these are the best dried ramen I’ve found, and I tried dozens of brands. $3.50 a pack, which is a lot for ramen, but they’re worth it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BJYPCK/

I think the link is broken?

We went through this a while ago in another thread and someone recommended these to me, which are AWESOME. The noodles themselves are great consistency with a nice toothy and solid bite.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A733MBO

Heh, I just got some of that.
I had been a huge fan of the red Shin Raymun for ages, and only recently tried the black.

It’s definitely better, although I’d recommend the 10 pack, since then it’s only like $1.50 a pack, which makes it closer to the price of the red variety.

https://www.amazon.com/NongShim-Shin-Black-Noodle-Spicy/dp/B017IRZLKQ/ref=pd_sim_325_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017IRZLKQ&pd_rd_r=45674T3RCY1C6Y1XBSJ0&pd_rd_w=dGmwo&pd_rd_wg=2LnTX&refRID=45674T3RCY1C6Y1XBSJ0&th=1

Excellent call, I just linked the first one I saw on search. I also like a few Korean ramens, though mostly the super spicy hot variety.

I must make this.

Our Christmas Eve tradition- homemade pizza.

I’ve made burnt caramel old fashioned before. I was inspired by a local korean bar that serves “yakuza old fashioned” with burnt caramel on top of japanese whiskey [nikka coffee grain, which I now have a bottle of sitting next to me] and bitters. You can get the kit (they have kits???) here:

Mmm … Nikka Coffey Grain is my new favorite (reasonably priced) Japanese Whiskey.

As soon as I saw that recipe, I immediately made the syrup. Planning to try it in some old fashioneds at my wife’s mom’s tonight.