Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Looks great! No jalapenos though?

To be honest, I kinda think they’d have overwhelmed it for me–the jalapenos I got and sliced for my banh mi’s were unusually hot. The heat from the nuoc cham and the Thai chilies minced into the lemongrass marinade hit just the right heat levels for me in this dish. But I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who did it otherwise :)

Ah, very nice! That sauce sounds delicious!

Just two steps away from traditional Western Pennsylvania sour mash whiskey. F you George Washington!

If you can afford the high end breville, I think it pretty much whoops any air fryer, given it can do tons of other stuff too, and has higher capacity.

I do not regret being convinced to get it by the QT3 hive mind. It is expensive, but it’s well made, so I think it was a worthwhile investment.

What we like about the air fryer is the fire and forget mode of cooking. If I want something simple like a grilled cheese I just put the sandwich in the air fryer and put the timer on for 3-4 minutes and go do something else, then come back and flip it after the timer goes off to cook the other side.

It’s great for snacks, too. We only have a traditional oven so using that for a couple of good egg rolls means heating the entire oven to cook. It’s seems more efficient to use the air fryer.

It also replaces deep frying, not that we ever did that. It does make fries and things like that better than using the oven. They cook and crisp more evenly.

I think of it more as a microwave alternative. It cooks like an oven but with the convenience of a microwave. I guess it’s not much different from a good toaster oven if the toaster oven had a timer to turn itself off.

Things like the Breville do turn themselves off based on a timer. It’s one reason I still use mine even though I have a full sized regular oven these days.

I mean shit my $40 toaster oven from college has a timer and still works like a champ. No fan, but it’s great.

Extreme closeup of gravy covered meatloaf (baked with bacon strips on top.) Served with mash and gravy and some canned but still excellent green beans.

It was a comfort meal, but holy cow was it great.

Oh fuck yes

Hot damn that looks good, especially on a 55 degree day like today!

Sorry to derail. But I have to say that my purchase of those gloves upthread was one of the best moves I’ve ever made. Not only do I use them for common cooking such as making meatballs and chopping hot peppers, they are the best thing for taking dirty dishes and silverware out of the sink to move them to the dishwasher. Any time that I don’t want to touch something, I pull a pair out.

Highly recommended.

That Breville costs the exact same amount as the air drier the Wirecutter (didn’t really) recommend. And it does a ton more. So… why buy an air frier?

The only advantage I can see is that the air fryer is more portable.

Yeah, but you have a toaster anyway, right? I mean, most people eat toast.

I don’t. Never owned a toaster since I left my parents’ house.

Bangers and mash. So simple. So delicious. So good at soaking up all that rum I drank D:

That’s the only rice cooker cookbook I have, and the only one you’ll ever need.

Is it simple? I quite like the dish myself, but it involves peeling potatoes, boiling them, mashing them, slicing onions, making an onion gravy, etc. Too complicated for me to consider for drunk cooking. I tend to go for three can chili or something similar that I can’t mess up while inebriated.