Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Nice wings! From frozen is a huge Plus.

Chicken, rice, beans, avacado, pineapple, Cilantro, lime, orange juice, green, onions and seasoning.

Oh and some plating efforts because I’ve been assured if I spent more time on plating my meals will be overall more satisfying.

Looks of good looking food posts tonight from both of you. Sadly I’m just eating mac and cheese that I added a little sauted onions and garlic to. I could use a good protein.

I’ve made dragons beard a couple more times, and have gotten to the point where I think my pulling is adequate, but I’m failing in other ways.

The mix is ground peanut (traditional), some with peanut and cocoa powder, which is possibly superior to the traditional peanut only filling. The floss is sweet enough to let you use plain cocoa and get a nice flavor. Toasted black sesame (also traditional) may give a similar bitter note, but I didn’t have any around.

New photo by Charles Wheeler

The problem is that right now, the syrup is too brittle. When it gets to the desired thin-ness, I starts to crack more then bend. I probably need to play with the maltose proportion (I’m using a high maltose syrup rather than pure maltose).

Also, when I get the strands thin, they start to clump together in my hands. This isn’t surprising in general, but its happening more than I’d like, and I’m dousing them in rice flour as much as possible. Again, I either need to adjust the sugar mix to be less sticky, or I need to play with my dusting flour. I’ve been using toasted glutinous rice flour, it’s possible that corn starch would behave differently.

One thing that definitely helps is just editing the floss when I’m done: any strands that missed a couple of pulls and are too thick can just get plucked out and diecarded before wrapping around the fillings.

That’s a pretty cool undertaking. I’ve never had it, but that looks like a lot of work.

It’s not actually that hard once you’ve gotten the hang of it, it is a huge mess though, since you’re probably spraying flour everywhere on the process of pulling the candy.

Also, I shattered a couple of rings the second time by pulling when they were too cold, which is easily solved by 5 seconds in the microwave until they’re pliable again. Little shards of rock candy around the kitchen arent too big a deal, but probably aren’t ideal for my dog.

@RichVR, true or false?

“Italian Grandmother Doesn’t Have Heart To Tell Family Any Dipshit Can Make Lasagna”

EASTON, PA—Dreading the looks on their faces once they realized the recipe was “truly easy as fuck,” local grandmother Rosemary Guzzo, 79, confirmed Monday that she didn’t have the heart to tell her family that any dipshit can make lasagna. “No, I don’t think I can bring myself to do it. They’d be too crushed to find out I learned how to make ‘Nana’s famous lasagna’ from the back of a Barilla box,” said Guzzo, explaining that the dish involved not some old-world secret guarded by generations of Italian matriarchs, but the layering of pasta, meat, cheese, and tomato sauce. “You know what’s hard to make? Soufflé. Not lasagna. Any knuckle-dragging dumbass off the street can set an oven to 375 and pop in a baking pan.” At press time, Guzzo’s daughter had asked her to write down each step so they could enjoy the “family treasure” for years to come.

I come from bakers and this hits close to home. I have a recipe for molasses cookies passed down from my great grandmother and I went and checked the internet and found an essentially identical one. I’m sure she grabbed it from a newspaper article or jar of molasses. :P

Heh. While my grandmother often used onions in her cooking, I wouldn’t trust The Onion to help here.

OTOH the basic theory is good. I learned from her by spending time with her in the kitchen. Over years I never saw her use a measure of any kind. Not a teaspoon, not a cup. She used her eyes and her hands. Her father was a chef and his father was a chef.

As well, using a recipe as a jumping off point is solid food science. Sticking solidly to a recipe and making no changes is a good way to make the same stuff every day. Unless you are baking. Don’t fuck with measure in baking. Hell, even humidity can change a bread recipe.

Unless you are doing a sour dough mother. Then all bets are off.

What are we talking about again? Oh yeah. My grandmother. She was married to a biker who was also a prizefighter.

One of the only scenes I remember from Friends involves Phoebe losing the irreplaceable family recipe, passed down by her French great-grandmother, for “Nestlé Toul ‘owse” cookies.

All my treasured family recipes are in Imperial measurements, and usually call for beef tallow.

You are a fine man. We would have also accepted bacon grease.

My grandma, when she cooks (which is less, these days) mostly cooks out of a battered old Betty Crocker cookbook and a couple other similar items. No family recipes here. And, by and large, she’s switched to buying her pies and other baked goods at Aldi’s.

I don’t get the impression it was ever something she did for fun. It was just her role to feed the family. And now that I’ve discovered I like cooking, and she’s not as robust as she used to be, I end up doing a lot of the cooking when I visit - with some help navigating her kitchen, of course.

When i was growing up, you wanted, no needed to bring homemade baked goods to any bake sale or cake walk. I started questioning that when we took home a cake from school with probably around 20/30 toothpicks in it. Now, the kids are not allowed to bring homemade goods to those events, and I don’t know too many parents who complain about that.

I love that Friend’s episode!

Can I just add a little levity here? While you all were talking up your awesome food, I got what has to be the polar opposite - french fries with a big nasty chunk of black hair + hairspray. I have not been able to enter into this golden abode of a thread til I got home. I love my healthcare, but their food situation is something else.

Back to your regularly scheduled program :)

@Timex I want to bury my face in that awesome looking pizza.

My wife likes non-traditional cakes for her birthday, so last week I made her a giant cinnamon roll.

Also some regularly-sized cinnamon rolls. I used the recipe from Tasty, and despite the fact that I forgot the baking powder step, it rose just fine on the yeast alone. (Although I did wonder why it was taking so long…)

Good god. You have won an achievement.

Sweet fuck, @Fishbreath, are you trying to kill the woman!!!

But seriously, that is glorious and amazing and beautiful and I want to eat six of them. The big ones, to be clear.

I didn’t realize the recipe said ‘makes 14 servings’ until I was well into the process, and you can be sure I wasn’t going to waste any of a recipe which took all the butter in the house.

That is an absolutely beautiful story.

Salivating intensifies

I’ll be in my bunk.

Lunch today.

And no, I didn’t eat the whole thing. Probably Dinner today and a snack tomorrow. My sister was weirded out by the first picture until I told her that was pre-baking in process.