Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

That looks amazing

That looks super fancy.

More Indian food has been ongoing. . .

Shrimp and veggie korma. Mine is never the violently neon yellow of my favorite local joints, but that’s probably for the best. Still, got that great mix of creamy, sweet, and complex that I love. Made some mixed veggie pakoras, too–shredded potatoes, carrots, spinach, chilies, onions, and cilantro with a few spices in a chickpea batter.

Finally, tonight, there was muttar paneer–fried chunks of Indian cheese with peas in a creamy tomtato gravy. It’s good shit. Yeeeeeee

I was in Orlando this week, and on Tuesday I ate so much Indian food that I almost crapped my pants.

wow Nesrie, that is so apetizing! What are the black & white seeds? Are they just sesame?

My wild guess is caraway. Nesrie, I like that thing the more I look at it :)

So, oil (butter?), onion, tomatoes, then baked. Then cream cheese (sour cream?), salmon, capers, and parsley?

And Cilantro too unless I’m mistaken, or it’s more green than just the parsley anyway. And @Nesrie I agree with him, that looks delicious and healthy too!

@ArmandoPenblade your Indian looks great. Is there a specific brand of paneer that’s better than others?

You should have shipped them afterward.

Yep, sesame seeds, and the protein there is salmon. I figure though any ready to eat kind of meat would work for a quick lunch. A co-worker thought prosciutto would be good for none seafood folks. He’s right; it would.

Olive oil, and the herb mix is parsley and dill.When I do it again, more dill and less parsley. Dill goes with the salmon so really any herb someone likes with a particular meat would work well, fresh herb. That’s a cream and goat cheese mix. I think a thinned cream cheese would work just as well.

This is terrible but I don’t remember the brand I normally buy, but the one I got this most recent time was Amul, and it was excellent. Very soft and fresh seeming. For pre-made, it was fantastic.

Which is one of the more popular brands in India. Seriously, the Amul logo was quite common. The office I worked out of even had a dedicated Amul ice cream stand.

Awsome, thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, I was really pleased to see it suddenly show up in the market I shop at here in Raleigh. My gf actually doesn’t like the texture as much–she likes a very firm paneer, well seared on all sides, but I find that can be rubbery, whereas the Amul brand was soft and almost creamy, even after searing.

Hey, I got some agar-agar power.

I do not know why. I was in Orlando, in the hotel, and happened to flip on the Japanese station (which I do not normally get to see). And they were talking about Kanten, which I guess is the same thing? Some kind of plant (seaweed) based gelatin?

I do not know what I’m gonna do with this. But I’m gonna do something with it. Maybe make some gummy bears or something?

Made https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/tater-tot-casserole-recipe.html tonight.

Not as pretty as the website photo but damn delicious. It’s a process, though - the ground beef mixture that’s the main component is maybe 20-25 minutes of cooking, and of course the tater tots are no effort at all (unless you make them from scratch, a hill I did not climb), but the mushroom sauce that replaces the traditional cream of mushroom soup takes roughly 2.5 hours. Largely unattended, but still. And then another 30 minutes in the oven at the end.

Yeah, that looks like a crazy complicated version of the basic tater tot casserole I usually do, which is my poor man’s cottage pie, except I replace the mashed potatoes with tater tots. Oh, and I put a fucking pound of cheddar cheese between the meat and the tots. So, sure, I’m a lazy bastard who uses canned cream of mushroom, but c’mon. . . CHEESE!

That said, I trust SeriousEats enough that I’d try their crazy over the top variant at least once, just to know. . . thanks for the rec, @malkav11!!

Looks delicious to me. Also I feel like I’m visiting Minnesota every time I see tater tot casserole. They make some fine casseroles up there, yah, fer sure. :)

Clearly legalized marijuana has had an effect on Kenji.

Despite having lived here for 28 years it’s I think the first, maaaybe the second time I have ever had it. My mom was not one for casseroles, nor my grandma.

I have coworkers in Minnesota, as well as North Dakota. I’m up there a lot. They know how to make some casseroles, no joke.

Completely incorrect. “Hot dish” however they are fantastic at.