Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Excellent correction. I’m just a Southern boy trying to learn their ways.

I married a Minnesota girl, so I’ve had to learn the lingo!

Nothing fancy today. Multi-bean soup pressure cooked with a can of diced tomatoes, half a chopped onion and lots of spices. Served over basmati rice with a little basil in it. It doesn’t look liquidy due to the rice but the pressure cooker turns it into an AWESOME bean broth.

I was watching a cooking show a while back and they were talking about pimento cheese. Never ate it as a kid, and I always kind of associated pimento cheese with pimento loaf (which I associate with being disgusting). At any rate, they were talking about the ingredients and I thought, there’s nothing in this I don’t like, so why wouldn’t I like pimento cheese? So, after poking around the web for recipes, I started making pimento cheese. I’ve made up maybe 4 batches in the last couple of months.

A couple of days ago, I went to make up a new batch and discovered, much to my chagrin, that I had no pimentos. So what’s a guy with a hankering for pimento cheese supposed to do when he’s got no pimentos?

Use hatch chilies instead:

Om nom nom

To this day one of my favorite catered meals featured sandwiches made with pimento cheese, avocado, caramelized onions, and bacon on a trait crusty rye bread that could stand up to all of that. Maybe tomatoes? Been too long…

One of us … one of us.

You have gained an achievement:

I’ve lived in the South my whole life and pimento cheese is gross.

I’m sure there is good pimento cheese out there, but I’ve never had it.

Sorry, my opinion and all that don’t let me rain on the parade. The runny cheese parade. Shudders

Here’s the thing: it only has a few ingredients, and unless you don’t like pimentos (which are just mild red peppers) or cheese, there’s nothing not to like. It’s all in the proportions. As you can see from the picture, it doesn’t need to be runny (though heated, it turns into killer queso).

I have done the same thing only with habanero peppers. It was so tasty that I make it with habaneros even if I have the pimentos, I just use both. It has been dubbed christmas cheese because I brought some to my family christmas party a few years back. It works well due to the excellent red and green chunks in the cheese.

Nice! I had thought about doing that with pimentos and hatch in the future. The hatch (and presumably the habaneros) have more flavor than pimentos, but the red color does stand out more.

I tried to make something with pimentos once and could not for the life of me get the jar open. It sits there, unopened, in my cabinet to this day, taunting me.

Bang on the rim of the lid with the handle of a butter knife.

Have you tried finding a real man to open that jar for you, sweet-cheeks?

PS: the hot water method works great.

Not in this case.

I’m making that tater tot casserole from serious eats, as we speak.

So now I have a serious menu to create soon. Pimento cheese and tater tot casserole. So let it be written. So let it be done.

Love these things for jars:
EZ Off Jar Opener For All Jar Sizes, White

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X6K9J8/

Pimento cheese must be eaten on saltine crackers. So get some of those too.

Also great in grilled cheese sandwiches, with pickles.