Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I would be remiss if I didn’t say that in the original story, @Dave_Perkins referred to the pickle somewhat differently, saying that the dog basically got “the whole shaft of the pickle down his throat” while Dave’s friend held onto the other end of the pickle.

I believe the word shaft gives the story that certain extra something that Dave has omitted in this TV friendly version.

-xtien

“They say this cat Dave is a bad mother–(Shut your mouth)!”

Yes. Indeed. I’m just intimidated by the idea of assailing it.

-xtien

I’m pretty sure it was still conveyed.

More Sous Vide BBQ tonight. This time I went with pork ribs. Unfortunately I got a little pushed back with stuff today so I had to turn up the heat a little on the smoker to eat them at a decent time, so unfortunately the smoke flavor was a little under developed but they were still so damn good (and so juicy)

Sous vide for pork BBQ is a god send. You can take a cheap ass cut of pork shoulder and make fantastic BBQ with it.

You always could do that, but with sous vide you don’t need to babysit your smoker for 18 hours. Or spend a thousand dollars on a pellet smoker, I guess.

That does look absolutely gorgeous, @MattN. My one regret for apartment living is the difficulty of running a smoker or anything similar. Though my best friend here in NC is gonna assemble her grill/smoker combo next week in prep for her bf’s bday party, which I’ll be doing cheffing duties for, and another friend of ours has a sous vide cooker. . . hmmmmmmmm.

PS, I made General Tso’s Chicken and some Crab Rangoons the other night. I had new bottles of Dark Soy Sauce and Shaoxing Wine from different brands than I’d used before, so the color wound up even darker than normal and the wine taste was a little pronounced in the finished sauce, so I’ll need to adjust my standard recipe until I finish these bottles off. D’oh.

So, you are probably looking at this and thinking it looks like a fairly ordinary plate of pasta. If so, you’d be mistaken.

This was from last nite, the first time I’ve ever had konjac pasta. Konjac is a member of the yam family, apparently. But what’s particularly interesting about the fettuccine you see here is that it has zero net carbs.

Let that sink in a moment.

Paired with a vodka sauce with 3 net carbs per half cup and some sausage, this is a legit low-carb plate of pasta, something I didn’t think was possible.

The noodles themselves are sort of like glass noodles, from what I understand, if you have had those. They look a lot like calamari before it is cooked, to be honest, a bit translucent and jiggly.

The noodles come packed in liquid. You have to drain the liquid, rinse them thoroughly, then sauté or microwave them for a couple of minutes. The brand I used is called “skinny pasta”. This is important. If you read reviews for any other type of konjac pasta, they will tell you it has an awful briney smell and taste. This company has found a way to eliminate that and there is no funky smell or taste (it has no flavor really).

The texture is not ideal. The noodles were a bit chewy/rubbery. However, once I put sauce on it and added the sausage and shaved cheese, you barely notice that at all. But I don’t think I’d eat it plain with olive oil. Having some meat with a different texture seems like the way to go.The thinner noodles might be a bit better in this regard (it comes in diff shapes).

Anyway, I wanted to share this in case someone else might find it interesting.

I have some konjac noodles too! They are good for certain things. You need to use the rubbery texture, rather than fighting it.

See, here’s the thing. Did you ever go to drink a Coke, but it was actually a can of Sprite (or something else dramatically different)? It tastes bizarre because it isn’t what your brain expected. Then you realize what happened and it tastes fine after that (assuming you don’t hate whatever it actually is).

I think the same principle is operating here, sort of. The noodles seem unpleasantly rubbery because your brain expects something else, but if you give a different, expected texture to contrast with it (in this case, the sausage) you don’t even notice the noodles as much,.

Ya, I’ve found they go well in a dish like Ramen, where you’re expecting them to be kind of rubbery.

I had to google it, but it turns out they’re shirataki noodles.

We normally put it as a cold appetizer, mixed with shredded cucumber and/or shredded jellyfish. Tossed with a bit of soy sauce, sesame oil, and black vinegar. Perhaps a bit of sugar to balance it all together.

We’ve also used it as a hot pot/shabu-shabu ingredient cut in large chunks.

Lastly, we’ve subbed them in for regular noodles for peanut sauce noodles. To make it more of a meal, we add sliced cucumber, sliced ham, and sliced egg omelet.

Yeah, I forgot they also went by that name. Thanks for mentioning it.

I did not cook this, so I’m violating the thread title, but … we just got back from Jamaica where one evening we enjoyed this: Chicken smoked for three hours over ganja wrapped in banana leaves, with papaya slaw and pineapple salsa. High-ly recommended.

If you’re curious, it not even cause a buzz, and we didn’t object when our 17-year old daughter had some. Much like cooking with alcohol, I suppose.

So… any of you chefs ever cook with ganja?

My wife has warned me in no uncertain terms that over consumption of shirataki can lead to explosively bad things happening to one’s gastrointestinal tract. She used to eat quite a lot of those, but eventually became quite turned off.

I can’t imagine that food smoked in marijuana wouldn’t have any intoxicating effects. Most likely they were just (forgive me) blowing smoke, and used an infinitesimal amount.

Perhaps, but based on how much the chef himself was openly smoking, his claim seemed reasonable.

I would guess that they used the stems and leaves for smoking. Why waste good buds that way?

Yeah, that too. Makes sense.

I’ll answer this honestly. Yes, but with infused butter or oil. That makes it so easy as to not even be a big deal to change a recipe for. Unlike cooking with alcohol, where it can have a large part affecting the taste of a dish or changing the texture of some meats, cooking with cannabis is mostly just about the high it creates. It is horrible as a flavor. I know there are a ton of edibles in legal states as well as a lot of people cooking with cannabis in full dishes now, but unless there is some strain out there bred for taste, NONE of the cooked dishes look to highlight the flavor of cannabis. ALL of them are to highlight the effect of eating cannabis.

I have never heard of anyone smoking with it though, so that seems strange, but who knows. All I do know is when I was in Jamaica, the herbs used on dishes down there made everything taste amazing. I loved the local food.