Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I’m guessing you’re not of Italian descent? My grandmother taught me this. Older Italians wasted nothing.

Yeah, my mom’s family is Italian and I think I caught it from them. Or Alton Brown. Who I consider a part of my family. I should make it clear he has not consented to this.

For years I wanted to try it but lived with a person who hated cheese and never could.

-xtien

I don’t know that I could live with a person who hated cheese. heh. I feel like I would have better chance with someone who hated meat.

Found the lizard person. :)

As it happens, that’s exactly how things turned out.

-xtien

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that, since you are a wonderful person and a superior father, that cheese wasn’t the major issue. I apologize if I’ve insulted anyone.

Thank you for the kind words. And you’re right. These things happen.

Also I’ve been craving lasagna ALL DAY TODAY. Thanks Rich!

-xtien

Never heard of grated cheddar. If you meant shredded, well, you are buying lousy cheddar. Tillamook makes a “farmhouse style” (large format) shredded cheddar that I buy from Costco and the stuff is wonderful. Not a big fan of the fine,y shredded stuff, though.

Quick lasagna tip for traditional type lasagnas where you’re not making your own sauces or anything like that, buy the Buitoni fresh marinara that you’ll find with the refrigerated fresh pastas. It’s like a 15 oz. I think. Use that only on the top of the lasagna. It introduces this awesome fresh tomato marinara flavor to something you can make with otherwise very inexpensive ingredients.

Well, today I learned that “shredded” and “grated” mean completely different things with regards to cheese.

Why the hell do they call it a cheese grater when nearly all anyone uses it for is shredding?

I am a heathen who uses tomato.

Yesterday was three big, super ripe avocados from Harris Teeter, two small Roma tomatoes, de-seeded and diced, half a red onion, diced, a medium-sized jalapeno, seeded and minced (birthday-friend’s girlfriend is super sensitive to spice), about 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro, and the juice of two limes, plus perhaps 1/2 - 3/4 tsp of kosher salt. It was tasty as fuck :). I chop the avocados fairly fine as I scoop them outta their shells, and toss with some of the lime juice as I add each one to the bowl, then do a quick-and-dirty mash with a fork, leaving some small chunks behind, then finally add in the other veg and season, and apply extra lime as needed at the very last.

More thoughts later. OFf to buy new bedsheets. But yesterday was a major success :-D

I also peel mine.

You seed your Jalapenos?! You heathen!

Only when I’m cooking for someone who’s mouth swells up and burns/aches for thirty minutes if she gets more than the tiniest dose of capsaicin in her food :)

Cookout stuffs from yesterday, poorly shot cuz it turns out grilling 40 different things over 5.5 hours while juggling recipes and leftovers and giving the birthday boy his gift and keepin the tunes rockin on your kinda unreliable bluetooth speaker and socailizing and drinking makes it hard to camera :)

That’s a good-looking spread! I’m grilling pork chops by appointment on Wednesday, but I’m not sure I can wait that long…

This was probably the best post of a Sunday cookout, ever. Because in my mind, I could totally imagine how one might need new bed sheets after a feast like that.

Also, to the talk about about grating Parmesan in the food processor, are you guys using the standard shredding disks or do your units have smaller holed graters? I use a microplane, but the drawback is you plane the hell out of a block and get enough for like one meal/recipe by the time you’re tired of grating. I would love to do it in bulk.

Trick to amazing guac and salsa is chopping up and tossing in a can of chipotles in adobo. Just insanely delicious, and not very spicy.

Naples style pork tenderloin, with a white wine sauce. Yellow squash casserole. Rice pilaf.

The pork and sauce on the rice was amazingly tasty.

Craig, do you have a link or a recipe for the pork tenderloin? It goes on sale here frequently, this would be nice in our rotation.