Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Hey, a shout out because of your pics and description, I took it upon myself to do a quadruple batch of these last night for our cinco de mayo party, doing it with the guasacaca sauce and they were awesome. Best pork I’ve ever had like that. The reduction of the liquid is key as it just condenses & focuses the flavor

My only sin was that I didn’t want to make the arepas, so we did them on corn tortillas.

No pics, as yours are very representative.

Can’t wait to make these again. Pretty easy to make & instructions are simple. I’m glad I have a gas cooktop as I was able to char those poblanos to hell and back. I just love the popping sound as the blisters form!

Thanks again. WOW.

It’s genuinely one of my favorite menus to produce at home or for friends. Really really love it, and yeah, that recipe is way better than you’d assume based on its simplicity.

I want that show. What would it take to convince @ArmandoPenblade to start a YouTube channel that we can watch!

A good camera and someone to clean up my apartment enough that I can film in it ;-)

ha-ha (getting your house clean & a better camera).

Have you ever seen SoulFul T’s youtube channel? warning, once you start watching, you won’t be able to stop. I think it’s a perfect channel, with her kids running around, and one of her kids trying to film with his phone - but it works damnit. So much charm & awesome food.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKWfAw4KlhkIgLvpX1_Nq1w

An Armando youtube channel is a great idea!

Looking for the subscribe button…

Good lord those buns look perfect. Wow! (Said with an Owen Wilson accent.)

Shrimp and turnip greens on yellow rice with a side of green beans. All made up on the spot when the grocery store had half price shrimp.

Oh, that’s nice. That’s very nice :)

Great looking dinner!

Thanks.

My photo skills could clearly be better. Even when I uploaded it I didn’t notice the two bottle openers and junk mail in the shot.

So, to atone for not posting pictures in the grill and grilling thread, I’ll post these from my second successful cheesecake, which I served last night.

Here it is before it goes in the oven:

Here it is after baking, in the first stage of cooling. I cool it in the oven, with the door a little open, for an hour:

Here it is upon being sliced:

I guess now that I’ve nailed it twice, I need to start working on some toppings.

-xtien

I would like to go to there. With my mouth, specifically.

It disheartens me that only 2 people clicked on that SoulFood T’s youtube channel. I obviously did not give enough of a lead-in to entice you to click. So let me try again.

SouFood T is Tanya Waller, this absolutely wonderful and awesome cook, who cooks for her family and most likely started this Youtube channel at the prodding of one of her sons, who is her cameraman. She lives in a very ordinary and chaotic household, cooking on pans that you would probably not select out of the bargain bin down at your local Goodwill. She frequently uses the disposable tinfoil pans that serves as the serving dish as well.

The best part of her is that she speaks for anyone who yearns to learn how to cook great tasting food that is not complicated. When you watch her, you realize that cooking is just time and doing things in the right order. She dispenses many tips that will help you become a better cook. She doesn’t use a lot of specific measurements, instead opting for “eyeball it”, but she will sometimes try to estimate. It should give you confidence that you don’t need to weigh /’ measure so precisely.

Above when I said chaotic household, you hear a lot of background TV, kids playing, phone ringing. her kitchen can not be more than 8x8. She stacks a lot of ingredients on the counters. The camera is obviously a phone held by her son for many of the first shows, and sound isn’t always consistent. It is the ultimate low budget youtube channel.

She has 200,000 subscribers. There is a video when youtube gave her a plaque for getting 100,000 subscribers. It is a joy to watch her gratitude and thankfulness. The best video that illustrates her, and the one that I stumbled upon, is her Macaroni and Cheese.

Enjoy

We tried a new pizza method yesterday: in the cast-iron pan. It turned out pretty well. Nicely crunchy crust on the bottom, and the cheese cooked well, too. To boot, it helped further establish the new seasoning on my pan.

I missed it scrolling by. Her mac and cheese reminded me of my grandmas, but my grandmas version had one fatal flaw, in my opinion. She would add egg to it prior to the oven. That had the effect of making it almost harder like a casserole or quiche. You can see this woman cooks for those who love her food. I’ll see if I can check out a few more.

I have a lot of cast iron, but I’m totally coveting that pan. enamel covered, wide with shallow angle sides. Can I ask where you got it? The pizza looks delicious too, I’m just a cast iron nut.

It was in the stuff aisle at Aldi a few years ago. I’m glad it meets with the approval of a fan of the genre—all I could say to my wife to sell her on picking it up was, “We don’t have one yet.”

That is a truly beautiful cheesecake

Yeah, no cracks!

Next work on the Italian-style ricotta cheesecake, which I personally think blows the classic NY style out of the water. I’ve never made one, but I do enjoy eating them at old-school Italian bakeries near me like Veniero’s.

Edit: found the recipe! Their pignoli cookies are also out of this world. Amazed they’re only four ingredients!