Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Wow. That’s really cool, and I would totally drink the hell out of some rhubarb lemonade.

When I was growing up one of my favorite pies was rhubarb pie. I really miss that.

-xtien

@ChristienMurawski for you and @Nesrie

Homemade, home grown, rhubarb cheesecake with a cream cheese glaze

That looks amazing, incredible even. When can I come over?

I’ve got an open door ;)

And we’ll see how my plants grow. It’s probably about time to divide them, so if you know a good way to ship plants…

Another random note from Tales of Teaching My Kid to Cook:

Above I talked about how one night a week is his cooking night, and I’m using this to teach him technique. We roasted some chicken breasts blah blah blah.

This is a simple thing, but a dish he loves. We call it Twice Cooked Chicken. Really it’s just leftovers. I always cook an extra chicken breast for the next couple of days–chicken salad sandwiches, burritos, whatever–and when he’s over, I use that to make the Twice Cooked Chicken. Basically I taught him about cutting on the bias, and how to reheat the chicken using our skillet and just a touch of olive oil to give the new cut a nice little crust. This in turn allowed me to teach him how to check for the doneness he prefers in this kind of application, so that I can eventually teach him how to gauge the proper doneness on a steak just by touching it. Yeah, a thermometer is better, but you can’t always do that. I’ll teach him how to use a probe thermometer when we roast a whole chicken for the first time together, of course.

It’s fun handing down these little tips and techniques to my boy. Yes, since he’s a newly minted teenager I have to reinforce it with multiple lessons, but I feel like this stuff is going to be valuable to him when he gets older. What’s more, he’s still young enough to enjoy the time with me in the kitchen. Mostly.

-xtien

DAYUM.

Want want want want want.

-xtien

Heh, I wish, i received some chocolate from Amazon, and they’ve already gone fully blown wrap everything in gel pack like material and hope it makes… the chocolate was fine but the box was wet and the packs no longer frozen. They’re trying.

Is that a homemade recipe? The guy that runs the farm delivery service I am currently user got to hear me gush over rhubarb so he threw in a few more ribs today just because… also I went to high school with him. Small world sometimes!

I wish it was my own! First time I’ve cooked rhubarb, so sticking to pre vetted

Unfortunately my rhubarb story? Both times it got wiped just before harvesting. Then I left for 3 months so the fall harvest was while I was gone.

So this was my first opportunity to use it

You’ll have to tell us how much you like or don’t like it. It’s got a unique flavor, very tart but great in sweets. Strawberry and Rhubarb are a common flavor combo too.

So here’s my little secret. This is Victoria strain rhubarb, so more green, more tart. I added about 1/3 cup of finely chopped strawberry into the rhubarb mix, as much for color as for flavor. The sticks were fairly green, even fully ripe, so I think it helps with presentation.

replacing some of the rhubarb with strawberries, prep time is only 20 minutes. All I need is sour cream and I could make this right now. I might have to freeze it until came night though. What would i do with that big ole cheescake. thank you!

I love rhubarb everything and now i am jealous.

I want to go to there

Look I’m in the middle of the country so if you all start driving now … :P

Pizza Time!

I haven’t made pizza dough in a while, so i threw some together. It’s doing it’s second rise. 3 loaves will be reserved for later, one will be pizza tonight.

So I’m making quiche tomorrow. Swiss cheese, cheddar, virginia ham and onion. I always put freshly ground nutmeg it it. Also parsley. What I’m wondering is if dill would be a positive or negative flavor to add. Any ideas?

I think dill would taste weird, but that’s just me.

If you do use it, be careful to not go overboard, since it’s such a strong herb.

I’d hold the dill, too. Maybe sprinkle some on a bite after it’s done, and see how it works.

I don’t love the idea of dill and cheesy eggy ham. Maybe scallions or chives instead?

Jeeze echo chamber y’all