Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I know how to read sarcasm!

-xtien

Never put salt in your eyes.

Excellent, I hope you enjoy it! And thanks for the presentation comment, since it is very very rare for my food to come out that pretty :P

For tonight I did a Mediterranean blend. A little Italy, a little Greece, a little Arabic

Lamb shawarma, Greek potatoes, genovese pesto hummus, homemade falafel. A lot of work, especially the lamb which is never cooked with before. But it was very flavorful, tender, the potatoes were tangy and tasty, and the hummus is made before like that so was known to be delicious.

Cutting the lamb of the bone into thin strips and marinating it in the yogurt and spice mix means this can’t be a last minute thing, but for a first try with a new meat I am happy with it.

So, we are in the need of some, ah, strawberry receipes (that are interesting). Any suggestions?

Put strawberries in your mouth.

Make strawberry jam.

No, really, we did that last year and have had homemade jelly since. About to do it again in a few weeks.

Thanks, but we’ve done that before, was thinking maybe trying something else this time as the crop this year is out of control. I still have more to pick.

I like that you brought this up. There’s a strawberry thing going on at my girlfriend’s workplace soon so I was curious about this too.

I did a strawberry pie some time ago. It was a refrigerator pie, and a lot of people liked it. I’m more of a pecan pie man myself, so it didn’t really work for me.

-xtien

Strawberry poppyseed salad? Strawberry cheesecake? A strawberry trifle? Slice strawberries with sugar and use to top a yellow cake? Strawberry muffins? I dunno, for pretty much any baked good, just add strawberries.

Look at my Mother’s Day post for a delicious breakfast using strawberries. I dunno, I like @Timex’s suggestion of ‘put them in your mouth’ :P

This video is of terrible quality, but it is by one of my favorite food personas, and has some good ideas.

-xtien

Homemade strawberry lemonade is awesome. Fruit tarts are fun too.

Craig, that entire plate looks incredible. So well done, man. That’s awesome!! I wish my gf liked lamb so I could give that a shot. . .

Bon Appetit recently posted a video for perfected strawberry shortcake that looked amazing and used a lot of strawberries up to make a duo of macerated strawberries and strawberry compote:

Strawberry ice cream and/or sorbet might also be really good, if you’ve got an ice cream machine!

Tonight was Night 1 of Indian food. I did a hack of a Kolkatta street food favorite, Kathi rolls:

Started with some chicken tikka-style thinly sliced chicken breast broiled with onions and bell peppers to get it cooked and a little crisped up at the edges.

Then made parathas–thin wheat Indian flatbreads (nothing but wheat flour, white flour, salt, oil, and water)–toasting them, then frying in hot oil. I scrambled eggs and poured that onto one side of each paratha and flipped it to sear the egg onto the bread.

Then piled on the chicken-and-vegetable tikka, some lemon-pickled onions and chilies, thinly sliced cucumbers, and a cilantro-chili-ginger yogurt sauce!

Wrapped it all up and served it with a bit of rice on the side. It was the first time my GF has ever had that dish and she really liked it! (Minus the onions for her, of course). Which is thrilling; she can be super picky.

Ah, Armando’s Indian food. The cornerstone of this thread.

Love Kati rolls and frankies! Would like to see you tackle dosas next. And injera!

Way ahead of you, Stusserdude. Well, on the dosa. I haven’t tried making Ethiopian yet, but it’s on the docket.

If you aren’t into shortcake, make oversized sugar cookies and top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Easy, dynamite summer dessert.

If you have a blender: milkshakes. Smoothies.

For the latter, peel and freeze some bananas. Use those in place of ice. Throw in some yogurt and strawberries. Boom.

I’m not a fan of bananas in things, because they tend to make it all about themselves. So I prefer the former. Some vanilla ice cream and some milk and a bunch of strawberries. Maybe some chocolate chips. Or some espresso beans if it’s for the grown-ups. Those make some tasty shakes.

-xtien

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have been more specific, as I was thinking about preservation. So the baked ideas more than the put on top of cake ideas is what I should have requested.

14 yr old will try making strawberry cinnamon oatmeal muffins today, and I’m definitely going to go with the strawberry lemonade drink tonight. Other ideas will be acted on soon (race against rot now). Thanks!

If you check out the Alton Brown video I posted, you’ll see a proper method for freezing strawberries. They crystalize weirdly if you try to just freeze them outright, but his method, while cooking-nerd-wonky, quickly freezes them so they are preserved more properly.

If you’re interested in such a thing.

-xtien

Ok, results to date (besides the pack-with-my-lunch solutions) are a batch of strawberry cinnamon oatmeal muffins and some strawberry ice tea (chickened out on the lemonade as I was late home from work).

14yr old boy’s muffin results were good (3 eaten before I got home):
IMG_20180606_184551110IMG_20180606_193205375IMG_20180606_200953322

Thanks for the ideas, will try some more as the week goes on.