Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Frozen strawberries and bananas fed through this is quite good.

My friends got one of those and I made “ice cream” at get togethers with it. They are really neat. Pretty much everyone enjoyed it

Bought a pack of pork belly from Costco a few days ago - 5.7 lbs worth. I have 2 slabs seasoned and chilling in the fridge - going to attempt crispy roast pork belly tomorrow. For tonight though, Shanghai red braised pork belly and Hangzou dongpo pork belly.

That’s glorious! I’ve been addicted to the Chinese Cooking Demystified channel on YouTube for awhile now, really wishing my gf was up for a little more adventure so I could try some more traditional dishes. Of course, I’d also need a better source for some harder to find ingredients, too, but still!

The charsiu in particular looks beautiful.

That porkbelly looks awesome

*sniffle* It’s… beautiful.

My first try at making some naan in a long time, both plain and garlic-cilantro. Moreover, some butter paneer masala and spiced basmati rice :)

Some fried rice, because it’s been a while. Fried rice definitely ranks up there in my top comfort foods.

Gorgeous shot and an awesome bowl, man. I love that!

I forget where i got that set of bowls. I’ve got 6 of them, and I’ve had them forever. I think i use them for virtually anything that can go in a bowl.

It was a long weekend of yard work, and neither my wife nor I were much in the mood for shopping, so we hunted around for something we could do with the chicken thighs and mushrooms we had from meals earlier this week. We hit on this recipe, which had the added benefit of needing no vessels besides my recently-reseasoned cast iron pan. (Thanks for the tips upthread. It was still a little tacky after my second attempt, but a few buttery/oily recipes seem to have done it a lot of good.)

Since we only had three chicken thighs left, I threw together this soda bread for some extra weight. Apparently it’s now my wife’s favorite bread recipe. Works for me; it’s also the easiest in my cookbook.

That looks awesome! I wanted to link to my favorite chicken thigh recipe, though I’m not sure I’ve ever had them cooked in a way I didn’t like. Chicken thighs are so versatile.

Please note, it’s a Chef John recipe and video. I mention this because some people trigger on the way he talks for some reason. Others, like me, find it kind of amusing in a dad-joke kind of way. But it’s easy, and it tastes quite good.

Thanks for the link to the soda bread recipe too!

OK, this is stretching the definition of “cooked”, but I had no idea this was a thing you could do and I just had to mention it.

Cake that you mix up in a mug, microwave, and eat. Takes 5 minutes and it’s pretty good. I mean, it’s probably only a 7/10 as far as best cake ever, but the effort-to-bake to goodness ratio is impressive. And since I eat a lot of solo meals, it’s pretty nice to have something that is nicely sized for dessert.

7/10 for not having to really do anything is pretty awesome.

I think 7 is a bit high myself, but yeah, microwave cakes are pretty neat conceptually. They’re basically steamed cakes, so the texture is fairly different from a baked cake.

If you’ve ever had Malay cake at dim sum, I think they all end up tasting a bit like that. Which is fine, as I like Malay cake, but is a little bit odd for, e.g. chocolate cake

Huh. One of the English national eccentricities is making steamed sponge cakes with flour and suet. I’ll bet there’s a microwave version of that, too. Which I’d be tempted to try, because the traditional method takes hours.

Yeah, it definitely is a bit different than traditional baked cake. Probably depends a lot on the type you get. I had that strawberry shortcake version, and since shortcake is usually meant to be light and fluffy, it worked nicely with the microwave steam method. Might not be so good for something heavier.

My take on an Indian street food classic called Pav Bhaji.

Essentially a thick curry made from vegetables (in my case, carrots, cauliflower, green peas, and potatoes pressure cooked till soft, plus onions, ginger, garlic, chilies, green pepper, and tomatoes sauteed till soft) with a sweet-and-spicy spice blend including lots of coriander, chili poweder, cumin, and fennel, plus some turmeric, black pepper, mace, clove, and cinnamon. Cooked with lots and lots of butter, then mashed to preferred consistency.

Brown some buns (Hawaiian rolls in my case) with butter and–in my case, again–some chili powder and smother in the curry (or serve on the side and dip/scoop). I add some raw red onions, cilantro, lemon juice, and extra butter on top.

On some level, it’s a little like a vegetarian sloppy joe, I guess.

Yeah food like that is why an entire nation of vegetarians has such a high incidence of diabetes! It is made with an_obscene_ amount of butter. Delicious though. Obviously.

Yeah. To be fair, I’ll go through about a stick, maybe a stick and a half over the course of about 6 servings (with some leftover in the curry that gets thrown out as excess), whereas I’ve seen videos of them using at least that much in a single plate, lol.