Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

What kind of tomatoes are those? They look a bit like Romas, but not.

Meanwhile, made my second batch of pickles yesterday. This time sliced with the mandoline I just bought. Also crushed the garlic cloves this time, which I think will end up being a good life choice. First batch has been dynamite.

Post over yonder with that nice pic:

That sounds delicious, @grahamiam, and looks just as good!

I took a quick dip into Japanese cuisine again; I’m really digging that right now.

Teriyaki chicken breast with green onions and white rice, plus some steamed edamame. I somehow seem to have overcooked the chicken horribly, or that package of chicken was just weird somehow. My pride wants me to lean toward the latter…

Chicken katsu cutlets with rice, potato-carrot-onion curry, and some tasty tonkatsu sauce. I bought a spicier variety this time around (I still love the Japanese curry bricks for a quick dinner) and loved it.

A great-big okonomiyaki with dashi, cabbage, green onions, pickled ginger, tenkasu, and yamaimo in the batter, cooked on top of thin-sliced pork belly, and topped with okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese mayo, aonori, green onions, and a little bonito flake (I ran out, lol). This sucker took two days to eat.

Anyone know how to reduce heat? Significantly I mean. I picked up my own chilis to plant at a gardening festival a while back and they are producing now. I remember at the time I grabbed them someone behind the desk I was buying them from said something like “hey, that one is really hot, ok?” and I was like, “sure thing.” I figured, great, one is hot and the other then by comparison won’t be that hot.

I’ve identified the chilis now.
The Super Chili Pepper (5 to 20 times hotter than jalapeno, the text reference they wrote backwards):

The Carribean Red Habanero (35 to 178 times hotter than jalapeno):

Whoops.

Oh my that katsu and okonomiyaki. Fuckin scrumptious.

Cut out the seeds and membrane.

Also, if they are that hot, use rubber gloves when prepping with them. Lots of soap and water when cleaning up.

This is a solid pico de gallo recipe, especially step 1. If you have the time, let it drain even longer to get a fresh pico for a longer time instead of it turning into that watery vegetable sludge.

Salsa de molcajete is one of my favorites. A simple recipe is here. You can find other recipes that add cilantro and more ingredients, but for mine, I like it very simple. You may also see people saying to add vinegar. They are heretics and can be safely ignored. A squeeze of lime juice is much better, for both salsa types.

https://www.mexicanplease.com/homemade-salsa-using-molcajete/

What nKoan said. Also, roasting them tends to bring out more of the flavor rather than the heat.

I love this. I love it so much.

I have a couple of friends who visited Japan, and when they got back home they threw an okonomiyaki party at their house. They just said, “We don’t really know how to do this, but we’re gonna do it!”

And nobody who came even knew what it was and nobody cared. We all just loved it. It was such a great experience.

These two friends, and their two cats, have since moved to Philadelphia. Boo. And this video I watched recently reminded me of that experience. This is not okonomiyaki, of course, but it reminds me of the experience.

-xtien

“Oh…I have to do it with my left hand?”

I love that video so much! I have tried to make omurice twice now, but I can’t get the gooey interior right, much less even try the split. But much like pizza, even not great omurice is still pretty good…

They are a variety of Roma tomatoes. They are really cute though, like medium sized bells in shape. The heirlooms are large and look exactly like what you’ve seen with full bottoms and tops pulled tight as though they are holding in the flavor but just barely. The hybrids don’t look like much of anything but your typical medium vine ripened type.

Man, thank you so much! I’m going to try a bit of both.

Someone already said remove the membrane and seeds, that’s an excellent start. And someone else mentioned roasting. Long and slow cooking really helps with toning them down, as does dairy/acids/sweet flavors. Like a curry with added dairy, or a sweet/hot dish, or acids like lime juice or vinegar. You can also pickle them. I had so many habaneros a couple of years ago I got to where I would just use them to flavor the oil in a dish. I mean, it’s one way to do it, and it felt kind of wasteful to me, but it worked. I would carefully slice one up and while sweating onions and garlic, I would throw it in the pan as well. Later I would remove a large portion of that and just toss it after. Or, I had a friend recommend using them to infuse oil to make my own spicy pepper oil (thought I forgot to.)

Thanks everybody, I knew the trick about removing seeds and veins. I think I’ll try roasting one low and slow before the other suggestions and see what level of heat is there after that.

I had a metric ton of cayenne peppers about 2 years ago when we had a plant. At it’s height we were picking like 5-6 cayenne peppers a day! They were small but still, that’s a ton of f’n peppers.

The key was to use them as much as possible but in small amounts, and for that, they excelled. A dish made with a single cayenne was -perfect-. A sandwich with a single pickled cayenne, again, perfect.

I wish you luck with the habaneros. That’s a lot of heat and they are just large enough that it’s hard to use effectively in cooking, for me at least. I have at least 20 of them frozen still, and that was 2 years ago. (I should probably toss them.)

Oh! Maybe try mango habanero sauce? That stuff is great on wings!

Or a habanero mole sauce? Oooh, mango habanero mole!

That’s a fantastic idea. Mango Habanero BBQ wings are a favorite. I wonder how long that sauce would keep?

It’s important to note that these are Caribbean Red habaneros, so the mildest of these peppers is as hot as the hottest normal habaneros. In other words, I’m boned.

But keep the suggestions coming, and I think you guys are onto something that the recipes for habaneros will probably work equally for these, if I cut the pepper count in half or otherwise reduce the heat somehow.

I can endorse this. Chicken of any sort, really.

Low level methods just involve removing all of the pith and seeds, then sweating them in a little oil in a pan. You would reduce well over half the heat with just those alone.

For even more tempering, a little more reading tells me there are methods to steep the cut chilies in fats, acids or alcohols, vinegar is one recommendation. The longer the steeping, the more heat is lost. Also the longer the steeping, the less the pepper tastes of any of it’s off-tastes (the pleasant ones) as well.

Pickling the peppers is an idea… Hmmm

I’ve never really gotten the whole Peter Piper thing. How do you pick pickled peppers? Were they pickled on the plant? Was he shopping? A peck is 8 quarts. Does he really need that much?