Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Shave Ice, not shaved ice.

I’ve been…ideating other non-fruit options also. Cold brew coffee extract?

Sweetened condensed milk is one of the unhealthiest things you can put in your body, so I don’t know about low-guilt, but it certainly is delicious!

Unfortunately I really can’t think of any healthy replacements that wouldn’t be far inferior on shaved ice. Coconut cream is amazing there, but that’s really unhealthy too.

Thinking of cold brew on shaved ice, why not thai iced coffee? Makes sense as it’s traditionally made with sweetened condensed milk.

Yeah, “relatively”. My kids forgo the condensed milk, but even then, it’s essentially drinking simple syrup. All told, probably no worse than ice cream or a popsicle though.

I tried making a coconut cream (aka Haupia) snow-cap, but bungled it for various reasons, and I haven’t been motivated to try again. The next time I make curry and have coconut milk left over, I’ll probably take another stab at it though.

How is it low guilt? It’s water and sugar.

I mean, compared to eating veal.

Kids do love a nice, tender scallopini on a hot summer day.

I mean, compared to the fat and sugar content of ice cream, I think it probably comes out slightly ahead. We could, and have, made pure-fruit puree popsicles for the kids, but those are pretty messy to eat, and end up being a pain all over.

On the other end: for the amount of joy that my children get from eating shave ice vs. eating an equivalent amount of sugar as, say, juice or lemonade, there’s no contest.

I believe you’re quite a trip to Hawaii…for research.

Look up Taiwanese shaved ice for some interesting ideas. Our friends use condensed milk, but also red mung beans and tapioca balls. I’ve seen some of the kids use canned fruit too, like peaches and apricots.

I visited Taiwan as a child, but have never actually tried the Taiwanese style of shave ice, maybe it wasn’t a thing yet? Apparently it involves flavoring the ice itself, which is an interesting idea, although I don’t really want to have to clean the ice shaver.

But yeah, there’s a whole range of bing soo/ice kacang/halo halo options. I’m not opposed to the various bean/corn options, but since my audience is mostly 5 year olds, I’m not going to go out of my way to complicate things.

If I’m going to go to real effort, I’m going to make Red Ruby, my white whale of Asian desserts, which was easily available when I lived in Singapore, but isnt really available anywhere outside of SE Asia.

Unfortunately, no, but local tomatoes. My wife does have tomato plants in her garden, but they’re not doing well this year, and she suspects that’s due to squirrels feasting on them.

Calling all bakers…

I’ve been occasionally baking my own bread. It’s a very basic recipe but I’m happy with the results (after a couple of less than stellar initial baking efforts). My 4-yr old however, much prefers very soft bread for sandwiches. So rather than buying Wonderbread all the time, does anybody know of a good recipe for a soft white sandwich bread?

My baking equipment does NOT include a bread machine or a stand mixer. I just hand mix an knead the bread dough.

I would try the famous no-knead bread recipe, but don’t put the lid on the dutch oven. Maybe use a lower temperature and longer bake time too.

The platonic ideal of white bread is Japanese Milk Bread (shoku-pan). While I’m lucky enough to have easy access to a Japanese bakery and don’t need to make it at home, some basic Google searches found this:

Not sure if you’ve seen the gardening thread but a few of us are having the same issue.it sucks too, a decent tomato with bite marks smack in the middle of it.

I’ve been neglecting this thread, so a couple things I’ve cooked over the last month and change:

Very simple and yummy. I bought the cabbage at Trader Joe’s, which doesn’t do whole cabbages, just bags of pre-shredded. But hey, it’s easy.

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya from How to Cook Everything.

Came out a little too moist mostly and burned at the bottom, but otherwise good.

Wow, both of these look like dishes you could easily add to too. I’m not even a fan of cabbage, but I’ve been wanting to try a few more dishes with it and might have to give it a go.

(continued)
Shrimp over Grits from How to Cook Everything Fast

Grits not pictured, but you probably know what they look like. Holy shit this was delicious.

Pasta with Shrimp, Andouille Sausage and Bell Pepper from Pasta Revolution

I made this previously but this used Hot Beef Links and an Argentinian shrimp from Trader Joe’s (as did the Shrimp over Grits) and it was faaaabulous. Spicy and tomatoey and mmmm.

I shouldn’t have poured as much of the braising liquid in when I refrigerated this as I did, and I didn’t realize I was meant to keep the skins crispy, but otherwise excellent. I was more ok with bone-in thighs on this than I usually am but it was still annoying trying to separate edible meat from bone and gristle.

White Beans with Pork and Cabbage, Kimchi Style from How to Cook Everything Fast

My local groceries don’t carry gochujang, so this recipe was my first encounter with it (I ordered a pound off Amazon). Boy oh boy that stuff is thick and sticky and hard to actually get into the recipe. Super good, though. Also I cooked the beans from dried in my Instant Pot. Love it.

Got one more batch of cooking but the last entry in it is currently in progress, so maybe tomorrow!

Yeah, I’m not usually comfortable experimenting with add-ins but the kielbasa and cabbage in particular is literally just those two things plus a homemade mustard vinaigrette, so it would be an easy base for that.

Yep, and it looks doable on a weeknight too, which I need more off, short prep and then some cooking.