Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

That cabbage dish looks awesome. I love cabbage.

I do too. Use it in a ton of recipes. Partly because I make a lot of soups and stews, as they are an easy way to add lots of veggies.

Interestingly that looks almost exactly like a dish I make, but I use Andouille instead of Kielbasa and I use a can of rotel (tomato + peppers) and a generous amount of Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning instead of a vinaigrette. I imagine my version is much spicier but visually comes out looking exactly like what you made.

That Chicken scarpariello looks like just my kind of dish. I will be making that soon.

Yes, that Kielbasa and Cabbage dish is giving me some ideas. Thanks!

First time I’ve cooked anything of note in a good long while; life’s been absolutely insane. Some muttar paneer with wheat parathas (frozen, alas) and brown basmati. Part of a healthy(ish) kick the gf and I have been trying out.

That looks awesome

Pan roasted some small anchovies, then put in a sauce of light soy, minced garlic, sesame oil and sugar. Tossed to coat, and roasted until nice and crispy.

The filipino’s like to eat something similar. I did raise my eyebrows when first served a bowl of them, but it didn’t take long for me to finish it.

So in the past month, I’ve done 4 fried rice meals. I have this little hole in the wall, CT’s for those here in Beaverton/Oregon, that has an oustanding Pineapple Fried rice.

So I read up on how to do fried rice and have gotten this down pretty good where I actually think I’m doing just as well as what I get in restaurants. The key is cooking everything separately and then combining at the end. The best thing is that ingredient wise, you have a lot of leeway - the only real requirement is 2-3 day old rice. Never cook with rice you made today.

So I chop up some carrots, celery & onions as my mainstay - and then sometimes add shrimp or beef or chicken, either Pineapple, or our new favorite mango, and a cup of cashews. I’ll sprinkle a half cup of chopped green onions on as a final toss before serving.

The sauce is pretty simple - a few tablespoons of mushroom sauce, a few tablespoons of rice cooking wine, and then a few tablespoons of this hot oil / pepper blend I get at another Vietnamese Restaurant, Pho King Good, but if you’re shopping, a close alternative is Chiu Chow Chili Oil.

And a closeup!

yeeeeaaaahh fried rice

Also, I want to eat the little anchovy things.

Words to live by.

This is a good general rule, but you can work with fresh rice.

You can actually do something fancy, if you want, using eggs… I saw Chen Kenichi do it on Iron Chef way back in the day.

He beat some eggs, and then mixed the egg into the rice, coating all the rice kernels with it. Then he stir fried it on high eat, and the effect is that the egg kind of cooked and allowed the rice to get “fried” without it breaking down, even though he was using fresh rice (since they were time limited). It was apparently some fancy imperial style of fried rice.

Have you tried the frozen papadums? You just microwave them for a couple seconds and they come out AMAZING. One of the best frozen foods I’ve ever had.

I actually bought a little packet of nonfrozen ones that I think I’m supposed to fry in oil. I’ll be testing 'em this week, if all goes well. Didn’t see frozen ones, but I’ll definitely look next time I’m at one of the Indian grocers in the area :)

Yeah, through some sort of wizardry the frozen ones come out of the microwave crispy and fragrant and wonderful. I always have them in my freezer.

So much good food posted here the last few days. Why am I not cooking more?!?! I’m stealing some ideas here for sure.

That’s the way my dad makes fried rice. I need to try it out and feed it to my kids. Thanks for a great memory that I’d forgotten! :)

My wife and I have a pair of friends we always go overboard cooking for; part of our reputation in that relationship is that we’re good at food, and so the cycle continues.

I’ve made this recipe a few times, but this is the first time I got it mostly right—pork cooked correctly, stuffing inside, cheese-to-fig proportions right.

We paired it with a salad we liked from a local restaurant: tomato, red onion, strawberry, candied pecan, red wine vinaigrette, balsamic reduction drizzled on top.

Further adventures in Indian cuisine as the week drug on.

First, vegetarian korma with green beans, peas, carrots, corn, cashews, golden raisins, and paneer in a velvety coconut sauce. Still with the brown basmati and wheat parathas.

Also went with two more curries tonight. Chicken tikka saag (sort of set the oven on fire making the first half of that), plus dal makhani loaded with butter and cream, cuz man, sometimes you just gotta live.