Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

[quote=“Skipper, post:7690, topic:50840, full:true”]

Well, I can’t say I know, but we had a very thorough house inspection before buying and the inspector didn’t say anything about it.

Nah, every apartment I ever had in NYC had a gas range with a non-venting hood, i.e. one that did fuck-all.

Natural gas is a very clean fossil fuel and burning it produces primarily water and CO2. It does produce some carbon monoxide and particulate matter, but an order of magnitude less than burning coal or wood. You basically don’t need to worry about venting.

Noted. I learn something new every day. I did quiz a guy once and he let me know it’s possible to vent to the side of the house if attic venting isn’t an option.

Yeah, my understanding is that charcoal’ll fuck ya up, for instance. I had briefly looked into whether or not I could maybe do some kinda faux smoker thing in my oven with that and pretty much everyone on the internet was like NOOOOOOOOO unless you’re trying to commit suicide in which case I am legally obligated to tell you also NOOOOOOOOO.

Made the components for tasty bagel sandwiches today.

Sadly it didn’t photograph well and I didn’t get a picture of the first finished product.

I recently bought one of those tiny little egg pans because god trying to use egg molds on nonstick is annoying. It basically produces tiny, perfectly bagel-sized fried eggs with exactly zero effort. Did a double-fried, thick circle of eggy joy, slice of cheddar, two slices of sage sausage, and then some sauteed onions, red peppers, and mushrooms. Sauce was a bit of mayo, Sriracha, sugar, S&P, and chives mixed together. Spread onto Everything bagel and toasted.

I am pleased.

Hey, I’m interested. I have egg molds and have … so-so success with them. What is an egg pan?

Excellent choice, sir.

What kind of insane person would even consider burning charcoal indoors?!

Have you seen this?

Hello!

This is a fancier one than I got, which was five dollars, probably made of tin, and has an adorable chef face glued onto the handle.

Chef Direct Stainless Steel Non Stick Mini Fry Pan 4.72 inches (12 Cm)//Chef Direct//Induction Friendly Egg/Omelette/Frying Pan Amazon.com

Had half a pork shoulder left over from making pulled pork sandwiches last week. Decided to make chili with it!

And some corn bread too :)

It is law in my house that no chili will be served without cornbread. I approve of your post. :)

I always make garlic bread with chili. Compound garlic parsley butter, and lots of it.

Technically we make “Mexican” cornbread, which is an excuse to load up the cornbread with an added can of diced chilis and some additional finely diced jalapeno and grated pepper jack cheese. It sounds like that would be blistering hot, it’s not.

I assumed it was a given that we weren’t concerned about venting because of the gas combustion, so much as because of what’s happening above the gas combustion. E.g. searing delicious steaks.

Or, depending on your particular smoke detector / oven combination, e.g. using your oven for literally anything oh god, who thought that was a good idea, I guess I’m just going to put a shower cap over my smoke detectors and die in a fire someday, but its better than the alternative.

Your oven smokes? Something is wrong, the previous owner spilled sauce in there or something.

My apartment has no venting at all, so when I make steak I get a hard sear on the first side on my heavy all-clad saute pan, flip it, then pop it into a 450F oven for 6 minutes or so, assuming a 2 inch thick steak. This gets a lot of tasty maillard browning without smoking up my apartment.

Pro tip, use one of these and you won’t have to wipe down a thin film of grease from a 10 foot radius afterwards. You can’t really clean it, and it gets nasty after a year or two, so then just buy another one. They’re cheap.

I use one of these instead. Similar, but still allows venting and easier to clean than a screen. It also works when i throw a touch of water on something to semi-steam it. You can find them under, “smart lid.” The rubber is both rigid (I think there are rings encased within it,) but also flexible up and down a bit. This helps it form a decent seal around almost anything. Also dishwasher safe for when I’m feeling lazy.

Yes but I don’t want a seal, if you trap steam then your food won’t get a good hard sear. Before the screen I tried one that was metal with a couple large perforations and it didn’t let me sear properly either.

I might need to roast some garlic tonight.

My go to meal this time of year is pasta w/ diverse raw tomatoes, fresh basil & a dressing of a light drizzle of olive oil and some 4 leaf balsamic vinegar - the kind that flows like syrup.

Add some baguettes and some fresh roasted garlic to that… kind of hard to go wrong. I haven’t made some fresh roasted garlic in some time.

You can roast the garlic, sure. That mellows out the flavor. I like it to have a solid punch, so I don’t bother, I just press the garlic into soft butter with chopped parsely and black pepper then mash it all up. Spread thickly on bread, ideally soft cuban rolls, and toast.

You don’t want to use good crusty baguettes a l’ancienne for garlic bread. Supermarket “baguettes” are fine though.

Noted. I typically bite the bulled on searing and go uncovered. I’ll try one of those gadgets!