Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

There’s levels of quality even within “sushi-grade” though. The same way that you’re not going to get a better cut of meat than a steakhouse, the best sushi fish is always going to go to a restaurant. Maybe if you went directly a fish distributor? But even then, the really good stuff is usually spoken for already.

I mean, the stuff you can buy at H-mart might be better than the fish you can get in grocery-store sushi. But you probably won’t compete with a serious sushi restaurant.

No, certainly not, though then again, the really good sushi restaurants are also generally out of my budget, hah

We did go to the best-rated local joint for my gf’s birthday recently. In addition to racking up our first-ever triple-digit restaurant bill, we had one of the best dinners we’ve ever enjoyed. But. . . that ain’t gonna become a habit :)

Your’e a good send Armando. I am going to try this minus the cheese I think. This looks fun!

edit. ugh I lost the collapse… Let me see if I can get it back somehow.

If I can spare you some minute hassles:

If you don’t mind bits of chopped, cooked onion and celery in your food, you can omit the water and its step entirely. Maybe increase the milk slightly, but tbh, the water was mostly gone by the time the milk came into the picture.

If you do skip the cheese, you maybe-might need to up the salt at the end and maybe toss in an extra half tbsp or so of flour to help thicken a little more. Most of my recipes tend to be fairly lightly seasoned actually; I don’t need much to be happy. My gf, on the other hand, is one of those I MUST TASTE THE SALT THE SALT LETS ME SEE INFINITY AND TRAVERSE THE STARS SHE WHO CONTROLS THE SALT CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE types who practically keeps a shaker on her person when dining ;-)

Also, ideally, don’t fuck up in all the delightful ways I did. It won’t necessarily taste better, but you’ll enjoy the process much more if you don’t follow the trail I bravely blazed :-D

I enjoyed raw and cooked celery, so no issues there. Chowder and cheese sounds odd to me, and I love cheese too. I look forward to playing with this. In fact I am sending this to my phone so I can pick stuff up on the way back from my dinner and movie gathering tonight.

I really should start a QT3 recipe label, complete with author or linker.

I’ll lay down my friend’s Clam Chowder recipe as the best ever. Yours is similar Armando, but it varies here & there. I quit trying other recipes once I’ve used this. Of course having fresh razor clams ups it a notch or two over canned clams, which we get quite frequently during the season.

Corkye's Clam Chowder

INGREDIENTS

• 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams or 15 razor clams diced (can use more)
    • 1 cup minced onion carmalized
    • 1 cup diced celery
    • 4 cups cubed potatoes
    • 1 cup diced carrots
    • 1 cup butter
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 quart half-and-half cream
    • 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt - optional
    • 1 tsp ground black pepper to taste
    • 1 pt heavy whipping cream
    • 1 cup frozen corn
    • 1 lb cooked bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces- optional

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water or chicken stock to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
    3. Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.

I’m going out clamming again next weekend. Have you used any other clams for it? Last time I didn’t get any razors, but got a decent haul of gaper, cockle, littleneck and similar hard shell clams. And I’m thinking that sounds like a good use of some.

Yes, you can use any! I like gapers & cockles with it.

Somewhat related, I had fish and chips a few nights ago at a local restaurant (Fish District). They had Clam Chowder Bacon Fries, which I got, and was very pleasantly surprised at how good clam chowder poured over fries and covered with chopped bacon and scallions could be.

I’ll be very curious to hear how it goes, @Nesrie :-)

I made an egg cream tonight, after having never heard of it and then being fascinated by it in the Five Guys thread.

I can see the appeal, but I don’t think it’s for me. The best way I can describe the taste is “diet chocolate milk.”

Yeah, I tried one at a long-time local deli and was similarly underwhelmed.

Next idea: check out shrubs. They’re surprisingly delightful and very easy to make at home.

Another thing I’ve never heard of! Sounds very doable, though.

Yeah but you know what they say. As soon as you have some you just want some more.

The problem is the seltzer. If you don’t have a dedicated, pressurized fountain nozzle it’s just too weak. The process is: mix milk and syrup. Stir. Slow fill of seltzer. Stir. Then pull handle for strong thin seltzer spray that makes the creamy head. That quick jerk of the handle at the end is the reason for the name ‘soda jerk.’ It wasn’t a term of derision. It just described the job.

We had some fennel to use up, so I made this tonight. Very good.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/one-skillet-lemony-chicken-with-fennel-and-tomatoes

I hope this is interesting. As a kid a family friend used to make stuffed cabbage. Essentially meat and rice rolled up in cabbage leaves, in a flavored tomato sauce. Then I found a recipe from The Frugal Gourmet called stuffed cabbage soup. I tried to find it today and failed. Although I found a pretty good one.

So here is my Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Soup.

I didn’t completely follow the recipe. There was too much liquid and too little rice for me. Yeah I know it was a soup recipe. And it ended up as soup. Just not their soup. MY SOUP!

Would ya believe I’ve never had stuffed cabbage? I guess it’s a little like stuffed bell peppers–rice, beef, tomatoes, spices? I could definitely go for that :-D

Oh man I really want stuffed cabbages now. Growing up with Hungarian blood, stuffed cabbage and stuffed peppers were both big staples in our family. It’s been too long. :)

Stuffed cabbage was a Jewish thing when I was young. I was the only goyim that I knew that enjoyed Jewish food. We did Seders because my parents were close friends with Jewish families. They would come to our house for Easter dinners.

More like a Jewish spring roll. :) All of the basic ingredients, rice, meat, spices were rolled like a burrito in big cabbage leaves. The leaves were blanched. The thick stem part was cut off. Ultimately they were a cross between a burrito and a tamale. The unfortunate part was that you couldn’t guarantee the thickness of the leaves. So, at least for us kids, there was always a bunch of chewy leaves left on the plate.

As an adult I still hate crappy huge cabbage leaves. Part of that problem was because of uneven blanching and the fact that it was baked.

The soup is a way to avoid the pitfalls and have the yummies.

The basic recipe is:

1 lb ground Italian turkey sausage
1 medium onion chopped
1 small to medium cabbage cut and diced
1/2 cup uncooked rice
2-3 Tbs minced garlic
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cup V8 juice
4 cups beef broth
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Instructions

In a stock pot, over medium heat, brown the turkey sausage.
Add onions to pot and cook until onions soften.
Add cabbage to pot and cook until cabbage starts to soften, maybe about 2-3 minutes.
Push ingredients to the edges of the pot to create an opening in the middle of the pot.
Add tomato paste and cook until tomato paste starts to darken, about 1-2 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients to the pot and allow soup to come to a slight boil.
Lower temperature to a simmer and cover.
Cook for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the cabbage and rice are softened.

Do with it what you will. I added more rice, used less cabbage and meat. Oh and, heh, no turkey. Ground beef all the way.