Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Did anyone ever sous vide avacados? Sorry I am like 5k posts behind.

I made sourdough cinnamon rolls for brunch today. I am irrationally into sourdough lately but it’s kind of fantastic. Discuss.

[Insert enormous heart-eyes emoji here]

I love food history/origins!

Damn, everything looks so delicious!

The wife made a cheesecake. Sooo good!

Tomatos are really producing, so time to make some sauce!

image1 Image2 image3 image4 image4a
image5

So, 4lbs of juliet tomatos made 4 jars of sauce. Not bad for a lazy labor day.

It’s a nice day toward the end of summer, which means I’m going to grill.

Chicken was on sale during the last shopping trip, so chicken it is. The marinade is a quarter cup each of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and soy sauce, half a tablespoon of parsley, half a teaspoon of basil, oregano, and garlic powder, and a few turns of the old peppermill.

So, I’m the kind of guy that will occasionally have an extra whole chicken in my freezer, and just sort of need something to do with it. I decided to celebrate the most American holiday* with a very American meal: Southern Buttermilk fried chicken:

Used a cross between Alton Brown’s Good Eats Fried Chicken recipe and the maybe-KFC-but-not-really recipe published a while ago, in that I used whatever spices I already had in my cabinet that were on that list, but didn’t make a big deal of it, and then doubled the paprika and added some cayenne.

Also, macaroni and cheese (Kraft, do I look like I have time to make that from scratch?), and I had made some buttermilk biscuits for breakfast, and had a couple of those left over.

* Labor Day, of course, the day when America looked at a holiday that every other country in the world celebrated and decided, “Nah, fuck’em”, and made our own, completely different version because…communists? See also: Football, American and System, Metric.

You should check out the 3* ingredient stove top mac and cheese recipe on Serious Eats. Delicious and it takes like 15 minutes and opening a can.

*depending on what you consider an ingredient.

Mung bean and pearl barley porridge.

This week is Thai week. Cooking up some of mine and my gf’s favorites :-)

Spicy Thai basil fried rice with Tofu, tons of veggies, and a fried egg!

Shrimp pad Thai with lots of veggies and some crushed peanuts (overcooked the noodles a little; look how broken up they are… Sigh)

Also some panang curry with chicken, French beans, and carrots over jasmine rice!

I am starting to become of the opinion that the fried egg makes most anything better.

The number of dishes where that isn’t true must be very small and very sad…

Asians fry their eggs at very high heat with lots of oil, getting them lacy, crispy, and dark brown. Just so happens Kenji has a post and recipe up!

Hah, I actually saw similar in the recipe video that I was slightly following. But I didn’t go totally nuts with my oil and heat since I was shooting for something not completely unhealthy… Since tonight is the double dose of traditional pregame tacos and post session wings with the local rpg collective…

Pffshaw, fat is supposed to be good for you these days, we’re supposed to avoid carbs now. I followed the comments under Kenji’s post and used a knee-deep pool of extra-virgin olive oil with a bunch of smoked paprika to make the oil fluoresce reddish-orange and man, were those some great eggs!

Next time, I plan to fry up a bunch of spanish chorizo nice and crispy and use that fat instead. Similar effect, but I get to eat the sausage.

So as planned, I went clamming today. Got a good haul of them, mostly butter, but a few little necks, two gapers, and a handful of cockles.

I made the chowder as you wrote, with the bacon and cooking the onion and celery in the bacon grease.

Two thumbs up. The only tweak was using crushed red pepper instead of black pepper, and a dash of parsley for color.

Looks delicious…

Went for some gochujang fried tofu bowls tonight

And yeah that chowder looks great Craig