Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Potatoes and carrots, the sides are ready
Mom’s spaghetti.

I am right there with stusser on trying everything at least once but cats?

Agreed, most cats are dicks, but man PETA got a video before me somehow a long time ago from some Asian locale. They were pushing cats into a pit of boiling oil alive and then when some clawed their way out they would push them right back in. Two decades later and I still find it one of my more disturbing memories.

I love octopus, both the creature as a wild animal and in takoyaki balls. I try not to think about it too much.

I was just making a rhyme, brother. Of course that is horrible and inhumane.

I wouldn’t eat a housecat either, even if slaughtered humanely.

No judgement here, just saying any attempt at eating cat is now forever ruined for me. I think I hate the fact that PETA won this round more than anything.

it’s primarily the fact that they’re common pets, not the cuteness. I have no problem eating adorable fluffy bunnies. Although one time they left the head on and I… I couldn’t do it.

If it’s any consolation, predators typically don’t taste very good, so you probably aren’t missing out on much.

This sounds like it was excellent and looks absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing :-D

End of the Indian cuisine from last week also included some muttar paneer:

On Saturday, I had some free time with my gf out of town for the weekend, so I was gonna make some Cajun food for myself for the week to come (lots of events every evening this week, so no time to cook). However, some good friends wanted to do boardgames, so I mixed the two and made a ton of extra food to share with them.

Clockwise from the top left, we’ve got brown rice; some stewed mixed greens with bacon and onions in a spicy broth; a nice crusty loaf of sourdough a friend brought; some dirty rice with onions, peppers, beef, and lots of cayenne; some plain white rice that was leftover from the dirty; some green onions; garlicky, buttery corn cooked with onions, peppers, and celery, plus bacon; and then some red beans in the center with lots of chopped ham and andouille sausage. I like my beans extra creamy, so I mash em up well and thicken it a lot. Hard not to burn, but oh so worth it.

Oh fuck yes.

Oh hell yes. A beans and dirty rice day is a good day. Bojangles eat your heart out.

Plus greens, I’m gonna say it was probably a good thing the GF was out of town after all that! I can imagine … noises. :)

However, I would happily trade some pork tenderloin for some of that fine looking muttar paneer and naan.

I’ve been wanting to make some Thai, but I’m due to head out of town Wednesday and not sure I want to go buy things just to cook and leave the bulk of it with my GF after I leave town. She’s not a fan of a lot of curries, unfortunately.

Not looking forward to that in 20+ years, but I understand just about everybody has to get it.

Also thanks Armando for getting us back on track! As usual everything just looks so fucking good.

Busting out an old cooking class recipe for tomorrow: whiskey-braised beef.

Tonight, it braises and cools, and goes in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow, I scrape off any extra fat and reheat it, while sauteeing onion and parsnip to go along with it. The parsnip is an innovation to attempt to find a substitute for carrots in roasts, since my wife can’t stand cooked carrots.

One of these days, I want to find a recipe for a modern take on a trencher; I think this would be a great recipe to stick on top of it. With the exception of a bit of tomato in the braising liquid, all the ingredients are pre-Columbian exchange, too, for that hint of added authenticity.

My mouth is watering, though admittedly I’d probably just use carrots. We go through a very healthy volume of them. Probably about a pound and a half per month, per person.

But, having never used parsnips, I’m intrigued. Maybe I should try it your version and see how it goes over.

Is that just stew meat or did you cut up a roast?

We use parsnips for a little variety when making some stews, or when doing a bed of vegetables for roast chicken.

They’re functionally almost identical to carrots, but a little more astringent and less sweet. They taste the way I imagine wild carrots probably tasted before selective breeding and domestication.

If you want to step a little farther afield, you can buy some daikon and put that in a stew. Thats good stuff, too.

I’ll report back tonight. The carrots/onions/potatoes in this recipe are done separately—the onions in the braising liquid get discarded—so it isn’t quite a traditional carrots-in-a-roast preparation.

Chuck roast.

That might be enough. If not, daikon is a good idea, and I already know that my wife likes it.

I was thinking the exact same thing–try a daikon. I’d also consider leeks.

Thanksgiving is coming up this weekend in Canuckistan and pumpkins are plentiful. Usually, I make a pumpkin pie for family thanksgiving dinner. Actually, it may be more accurate to say I make pumpkin pie filling since I just user a frozen pie shell. This year I decided I would try something a little different with a pumpkin cheesecake. I made a practice one and it turned out well. It tastes like pumpkin pie in cheesecake form.

The recipe was based on this one with some changes.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/pumpkin-cheesecake-with-gingersnap-crust-and-caramel-sauce.html

No way I can be arsed to make a caramel sauce. The crust was just a standard Graham crumb one. And I made my own pumpkin puree instead of canned.

I am too lazy to write up most of the cooking I’ve been doing, but tonight I made Mark Bittman’s super simple breaded chicken cutlets w/ pan sauce recipe and <3.

Basically just cut boneless chicken breasts in half through the thinnest edge so they’re two equal thin pieces of chicken, smoosh 'em flattish with your hand, roll them in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Pan-fry on both sides in some olive oil in batches, stick in a 200F oven to keep warm until they’re all ready. Then while they’re keeping warm in the oven, white wine in the pan to deglaze and cook down by about half, chicken stock for a couple minutes to thicken, then squeeze a lemon worth of juice in and add fresh parsley and a couple tablespoons of butter. (I also threw in garlic.). Once the butter’s melted, turn the heat off, get the cutlets out, and spoon the sauce over. Loooovely. There’s a bunch of ways to vary it but that’s the core.

I should add that this recipe has further convinced me that people talking about bone-in chicken being more flavorful are nuts. These cutlets w/ sauce? Delish (I did oversalt slightly, but that’s not the recipe’s fault). The bone-in chicken cacciatore I cooked off a Serious Eats recipe the other day? I mean…it’s fine. But not as good by any means and waaaay more work to eat.

@Fishbreath that looks fantastic, so I’d like to ping you a bit on the recipe, though your pictures cover a lot.

1. Cut the roast into roughly 2" sections.
  2. Brown the roast in a dutch oven.
  3. Cook cut, blocked bacon to render fat.
  4. Soften the onion in the bacon fat (add spices of some sort?)
  5. Add roast back to the pot, add some sort of liquid for the braise (is that all whiskey?)
  6. Braise for some period of time(?)
  7. Refrigerate overnight, skim fat, bring back to temp along with additional onion and hearty veg. (Temp and length of the reheat?)

It looks great, I’m just trying to nail down the specifics, unless you have a recipe link. It’s getting colder, this is a great way to welcome Fall in around here.

Almost exactly right.

Stuff:
~2lb chuck roast, cut into sections
8oz thick-cut or slab bacon, cut
3 yellow onions, cut into quarters
Thyme, parsley, bay leaf
1/2 cup whiskey
16oz beef broth
6oz tomato paste

Directions:

1. Add a bit of butter and olive oil to the dutch oven and heat on medium-high
  2. Sear beef sections and remove, then drain excess fat
  3. Cook bacon to desired crispiness
  4. Add onion quarters to soften/brown
  5. Deglaze with whiskey, then add broth, tomato paste, and herbs
  6. Bring to a simmer, then add the roast, cover, and transfer to the oven at 325F for ~2.5-3 hours
  7. Refrigerate overnight, skim fat, remove the onion quarters, and bring to temperature over a burner on low or in the oven at 325F for ~1 hour
  8. Separately, caramelize some onions and sautee or roast vegetables of your choice

That’s how I wrote it down, anyway. You could probably also do potatoes in the braising liquid while reheating, for some added pop.

That sounds fantastic. Thank you, man!