Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

These tips are great. Thank you, Skipper. I’ll definitely try this and will tell you how it goes.

-xtien

I may or may not make late night tostadas with the residual heat from my baking steel after the pizzas are done. :whistling:

I haven’t solved the burning problem yet though, so I can’t offer advice there. The only thing I’ve considered has been to add some oil and/or switch to corn tortillas.

Oh, corn tortillas would probably be really good.

The last one i made didn’t really burn much… I think the broiler should solve it, so we’ll see.

I’m totally full of tostadas now though from experimenting, so it will need to wait.

I’m pretty sure that you should turn your broker on before putting it in. Foreplay dude.

Google’s autocorrect is my enemy.

@stusser has been a bad influence.

C’mon man. I didn’t touch “creamy grits” once, and that was like 3 whole pages.

Wait. What? You still have pages? And we’re fucking with a scroll longer than the internet?

Hibachi and miso soup: a match made in heaven (or maybe some American teppanyaki joint).

edit: @stusser, you may cream my grits anytime bb

For the miso soup, did you make the dashi from scratch? (usually a katsuobushi and kombu ritual)

Yes indeed! It’s kind of fun, though you go through the katsuobushi pretty fast when you do it… But I use the broth for several things during the course of a week, usually.

I asked my mom and she said it would be okay for me to come over to have tostadas with you as long as your mom says it is okay, too.

Those look excellent. Having had them, you want them crispy enough they stand up to all that melted cheese, which yours looks like it would. In that pic above I noticed when we ate them they did edge to edge cheese, so I’m guessing that protected the edges from burning somewhat.

The steel has no problem getting them crisp on the bottom. It’s more that, quite quickly, in a few minutes, the bottom scorches.

The experiments will continue tonight, and we’ll see what I can do.

I need a steel anyway based on all the amazing pics you guys post here. If tostadas are even remotely good off one, I’m all-in.

It’s not exactly difficult to crisp up a tortilla, and you actually don’t even want to use super high heat, so a baking steel is the wrong tool for the job. You can pop it in a skillet with a bit of oil on medium heat and it will crunch up nicely. The trouble with this open-face quesadilla concept is melting and browning the toppings, and for that you need to put it in the broiler or oven anyway.

Real tostadas are crispy fried tortillas which are topped after being cooked, like tex-mex tacos but flat. And different filling of course, no taco bell ground meat product.

Venison with a Herbes de Provence rub, red potatoes, and tomato soup (probably from last harvest from the garden)

Where did you get the venison?

Brother-in-law, gave me some cutlets from a deer he shot in NH.

Was in the freezer for a while, but he sealed it well and it came out pretty good.

Lucky you. Venison is the best meat I’ve ever had, and I’ve only had it once.

Dang. I haven’t had venison in so many years. Probably since I lived in Colorado and went hunting with my stepdad. And yet, just reading the word, I can recall the taste.

-xtien