Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

And finally for the week’s new stuff, decided to give smash burgers a spin after feasting on various forms of them from restaurants like Shake Shack and Freddy’s in the last month or so.

About 1/3lb of 80/20 ground beef split between two patties, smashed flat onto a hot skillet, salted, peppered, and seared to a crispy, craggy, scraggly crust on one side, flipped to barely finish, and slid onto a waiting buttered bun slathered in mayo and ketchup, plus lettuce, tomato, red onion, and pickles. Topped with American cheese and bacon, served with a side of from-the-freezer fries tossed with Old Bay :-D

This is the objectively correct ratio. Although I have occasionally used 70/30.

80/20 for life. 85/15 or less are for commies.

But wait! That’s me!

Hmmmm

Not gonna lie, I zoomed in and drooled a little looking at that pic.

I should eat.

You really should, dude! It’s 4:30!!

Also, man, that piece of lettuce underneath the burger looks fucking weird.

ALSO these Martin’s buns are A) fucking incredible and B) gatdang sesame seed central. Ever since the bag entered my home, every surface of my kitchen has remained covered in a fine dusting of sesame seeds.

(P.S. Thank you)

Working from home and I skipped lunch. My GF is in charge of food today and I can smell it from up here in my office. If people would just shut up so we can get off this conference call.

Bleh.

Also, I HIGHLY approve of Martin’s buns.

Also, also, that sounded very revealing. I don’t even know Martin.

I am sort of in hysterics over here, because I just realized the literal product name of these particular rolls is “Big Marty’s”

Have a bag in my kitchen right now. Can’t eat them at my keyboard, seeds get everywhere.

So that is 16 buns for $18? Seems a bit pricey, but they do look good.

I mean it was like $2 at the grocery store; Amazon’s food prices are and always have been stupid :-D

What’s great about these buns is that you can toast them a bit and get toasty sesame goodness with every bite.

Yeah they’re pretty awful. I’ve seen some of the prices in East Coast fancy grocery stores though and some of them are like that too.

Yeah, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc., are just silly. People hoping that Amazon buying Whole Foods would enable them to sell food cheaper always struck me as a bit, erm, naive :)

We don’t have Whole Foods here, but I’ve heard from others that it did drop some when Amazon took over. The thing is though drop some is not enough for me. They don’t call it Whole Paycheck for no reason. Prime gets some sort of discount there, but I have no idea how that works since I assume the closest one is Eugene or maybe Bend is a little closer. A few of my former co-workers just loved that store when we traveled for training.

I couldn’t get past the prices. For organic, natural, GMO-free, all that stuff, our local stores have been expanding those sections for years now at pretty good prices too.

The prime discount is ~10% on yellow stickered items in the SFBay Area. Doesn’t really make up for the extra cost. We pretty much only go to whole foods for their fish-monger and cheese counter.

I still remember, when Whole Foods first opened here in NYC maybe 15 years ago, I walked in and picked up a bunch of stuff to make fresh salsa. You know, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, garlic, a can of chipotle in adobo. Went to checkout and it was twenty-six dollars. I said “no thanks” and walked out.

I sometimes park in a whole foods to pickup pizza from this place that has delicious pizza and horrible parking. (Don’t judge me, the parking lot is huge, always empty, and I’m parked for 5 minutes tops.) I once saw someone come out with a pack of either organic toilet paper or paper towels. Either way, it was the only thing they purchased and it was the most LA thing I’ve ever seen.
That’s my non relevant Whole Foods story that I just had to share.

Amazon is good for buying food that you can’t find locally.

There are better and often cheaper options. Wal-mart, Target, Jet, Boxed, Google Express. I mean you can spend 18 dollars on Amazon or just 3.99 on @ArmandoPenblade buns on Google Express. You should only ever buy food on Amazon when you know what the price should be, you’re willing to deal with a delay when they send it to you damaged or expired, and you just have no other choice.