Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

So, they bulk out their alternative to sugar… with sugar?

Sugar is everywhere.

In other news, I shall be making cookies this weekend.

Glucose basically, but yes.

“Sugar” in my mind is sucrose which is glucose and fructose.

So tonite will be shepherd’s pie topped with tater tots. Any suggestions as to preparation so that the tots are not soggy on the bottom?

Layer of cheese neath the tots, like shredded cheddar. The fat will help kinda fry, separate them from the more liquidous sauce. They’ll still be noticeably crisper up top of course, but it does help!

I’m in the middle of making bolognese for the first time… Talk about hurry up and wait…

I knew I could count on you. Good cooking my friend!

When I cook tater tots, I do them in a pre-heated cast iron skillet. Because my son loves them super crispy. Other folks I cook them for like them a bit more tender, so I make a separate batch.

I’d precook them and add them late in the process. Unlike putting already cooked mashed potatoes on a shepherd’s pie, they will be frozen if you put them on as normal. So consider your prep as based on how you might add just-cooked mashed potatoes that will brown.

I do like @ArmandoPenblade’s cheese idea as well.

-xtien

I certainly appreciate your input but it’s in the oven already. Pics of my success or failure forthcoming. :)

Edit: And it’s in a convection oven so that should help.

This seems like gilding the lily.

Guess who suggested it to me? It rhymes with Rubberbando Wrenglade.

And so. It worked. Thanks to peeps for suggestions.

So I told the wife, I have to post a picture of this. When you take it out just leave it for a second. Anybody see a hole? She swears that she didn’t take one. Hmmm…

Lovely. Can I get a high five? Cooks unite! Or for the dyslexic UNTIE!

Hell yes man. I’m super glad the tots worked out! Nooooms

So what’s with all the cauliflower stuff? Cauliflower mashed potatoes. Cauliflower pizza crust. I do have to low-carb it due to type 2 diabetes and a recent reality check with a doctor and an overnight hospital stay, and honestly, after a few days of low-carbing I’m ready to eat the bark off a tree I’m so hungry for something carby. Is the cauliflower stuff any good?

And of course my office continually flaunts carbs in my face. Last week it was lovely, delicious giant cupcakes with not just frosting but almost whole chocolate bars smashed on top. Today someone brought in the giant soft pretzels with cheese dip. Easter is coming up and I know there will be cake and candy proffered in the break room. Bastards are out to poison me! :)

It’s … not bad. It works better as a replacement than as a star, in my opinion. Some people love roasted cauliflower. One thing I used to do with it was Chili Mac (meat chili, not bean chili,) with the cauliflower as the pasta substitute. Since that dish is very much about the meat flavor, you don’t really notice as much that the pasta isn’t really pasta. But beware the fiber in cauliflower. If you aren’t accustomed to it, you’ll gas out all of your coworkers.

I should add, if you’re looking at substitutes, also consider rutabagas. They can be subbed like potatoes as well, either mashed, fried, scalloped, etc.

My wife just made cauliflower mac and cheese, which included around half a whole head of cauliflower. It was OK. It had so much other bad stuff in it - cream, cheddar, cream cheese that it had a ton of fat and saturated fat. I think around 36 grams per serving. And, it didn’t taste very cheesy.

Ohh, that’s what happened. I don’t mind cauliflower at all and have been using it more, and now I understand the uptick in gas production.

Cabbage too. Good lord does it hit you hard.

Last night, I grated some cauliflower very finely, stir fried it with a pinch of salt, easy and delicious.

Basically a rice or pasta substitute.

I had some bolognese slow cooked from before, which needed more tomatoes and tomato paste, so was more of a chilli than anything, without beans.

The combination with the cauliflower rice, with some coriander/cilantro on top worked really well.

I was finished a 24 hr fast so that may have had an influence.

Right now I am cooking mushroom and sausage soup.

I fried the mushrooms, divided the mixture.

Added in a bit of stock (made earlier in the weak by basically leaching some chicken bones in water and salt in the slow cooker for a few hrs) to half the mushroom mixture, blended it.

Meanwhile, fried the sausages (2 different types, removed from their skins. One is quite solid, the other I reformed into meatballs.)

Added more stock to the mushrooms, plus the fat from the sausages, blended again.

Then added the sausages, and now leaving it to simmer gently.

To serve, I’ll put it in bowls and add some of the unblended mushrooms on top, maybe some coriander/cilantro on top.

I’m lacking cheese and bread else I might have made some garlicky, cheesy bread to act as soup lids.